Replies

• Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    No
  • joannaphipps00
    joannaphipps00 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week, it helps me prevent the games that my mind plays if I don't drop a pound every couple days. :smile:
  • TekkieMom
    TekkieMom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Used to, but no longer. Too stressful. Once a week is my "weigh day". I picked Wednesday so I have time to repair any sins from the weekend ;). I will sometimes do a "sneak peek" half-way through (Sat/Sun) to see if I'm on track. If I am, it motivates me to stay the course, if I'm not, it gives me a few days to be good. Even though my goal is to lose weight, my absolute goal is to never gain week over week.
  • SEAFOODMAN
    SEAFOODMAN Posts: 342
    Options
    Every 15 minutes
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, naked, after I pee, within 5 min of waking up. I log that scale reading every day. Sure, it jumps up and down, sometimes 2-3lbs from day to day. I use that info to evaluate my previous days eating and activity.

But what I really like is watching the continuing downward trendline. Weighing and recording EVERY DAY insures that I'm not manipulating the data, selectively recording only the readings I like. That keeps me accountable and my weight loss real.
  • BuggerLugs_x
    Options
    I use to weigh my self twice a day, as soon as I woke up, then before I went to bed. The amount your weight goes up and down is unreal. I didn't log then though.
    When I started logging I started weighing myself first thing in the morning every morning and logging it, I soon realised my weight was up and down all week especially when coming to my time of the month.
    Since I started myfitnesspal I now only weigh in on a Tuesday when I wake up. That way I know if my loss is a loss or just a fluke. I do get tempted to weigh in more but stop myself as I want the surprise (good or bad) on a Tuesday! :D
    I personally would recommend daily for a week so you can see how much your weight changes, then weekly, then even fortnightly. I always weigh as soon as I get up (after morning pee) before I eat anything. :)
  • toovodz
    toovodz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can't wait to get on the scale in the morning! It keeps me on track but it also gets on my nerves when it fluctuates. I need to stop it really and do it once a week. I'm 8 weeks in so maybe I'll chill out and weigh once a week soon.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Of course you're going to weigh more on the doctor's scale, since you're wearing clothes and shoes, while at home everybody weighs themselves naked, after using the john.
  • meeulk
    meeulk Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    HackDiet_1yr_20140316.png

Every day

What did you use to make this graph?
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. Too many variables, diet, water retention, etc. I weigh myself perhaps once every 12 days. I use a tape measure to check my measurements once a week and log that. The scale is just when I am curious. :huh:
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, post-evacuation and before eating or drinking. I use the same scale, placed on the same location (uneven floors), and weigh myself nude. I track these numbers just out of curiosity, and because I'm using them for some baseline measures. I don't use these daily numbers as evidence of real gains or losses, because they fluctuate too much.

Like many here, I have an "official" weigh-in date. I chose Wednesdays just because it's far enough from the weekend that any "mistakes" I make, I can generally recover from before weigh-in day. I post my weight here on MFP each Wednesday; that's my "official" weight.

I just learned about http://www.weightgrapher.com/ today. I will be using that site to track my daily numbers, because it can generate a simple graph I can use to see trends over time. For those who are weighing daily to see trends, this free graphing tool might be of interest.

Most important note, I think, is to know what you can handle and what meaning you place on numbers from the scale. If you're inclined to see each micro-gain and micro-loss as deeply significant, perhaps daily weighing isn't for you. If you're inclined to use it as data for a larger understanding about weight/fat loss and behavior change, perhaps graphing daily changes can be useful.
  • s1rens0ng
    s1rens0ng Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, post-evacuation and before eating or drinking. I use the same scale, placed on the same location (uneven floors), and weigh myself nude. I track these numbers just out of curiosity, and because I'm using them for some baseline measures. I don't use these daily numbers as evidence of real gains or losses, because they fluctuate too much.

this^^^ and i record my weight every friday morning same time of day, never move my scales from the original place.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Yep. Every morning, after my morning pee, generally with no clothes on (or just unders). I use the Libra app on my phone to enter it in, and it shows me the TREND of my weight loss. This is helpful because I can see that I am trending downward even if the scale shows a slight increase. I only log once per week on MFP
  • klee58
    klee58 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes. Every morning. Doing it keeps me on track. If I'm up one day, I know that I wasn't good the day or two before, so I should watch what I eat that day to keep myself in check. :drinker:
    ^^^ Me too, same reasons. It's easier to correct for one day's indiscretion than a week's or longer. One time I was on a 2-week cruise and tried to be as good as one could be with cruise food and did a lot of walking/jogging on the deck circuit, but I didn't have a scale to check myself daily. I got back and learned I'd gained 11 lbs!
  • jkohnmobile
    jkohnmobile Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I weigh-in daily on a Withings scale, and use https://trendweight.com to monitor the trend. Using a running average like this is more accurate than weekly weigh-ins, IMHO (because that weekly weigh-in is still subject to the day-to-day variability that could mask whether you've truly gained/lost weight in the last week).
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Every Saturday, after hitting the bathroom and gym.
  • ubermofish
    ubermofish Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I do every day, to see how different foods and water levels can impact my total overall weight. I only really count progress once a week.
  • disneygirl626
    disneygirl626 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week. I fluctuate a lot day to day so I don't worry too much about how much I weigh each Monday, I just focus on the trend.
  • WallyH4EverVersion
    WallyH4EverVersion Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Yes. Every morning. And I don't feel like a *kitten*. :-)

I know there are variables from one day to the next. And that is precisely why I step on the scale every day. If I only weigh once a week, I don't know if that day is the weirdo high day. By weighing every day I can watch for patterns.
    THIS

And because I feel it keeps me in control.
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yes, although if there's a major spike from one day to the next, I don't worry about it. Unless I ate 7000 calories in my sleep, there's no way I legit gained 2 lbs overnight lol :-)

I've noticed that my weight tends to be cyclical- lose 6 lbs, gain 4 back, over a 20 day cycle. Steady weight loss over the long run, but I have IBS and water retention issues, so weighing myself every day helps me to not freak out if I've gained 5 lbs in a week because I understand I'm probably in the gain part of the cycle.