Stored fat question

Options
2»

Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    While I agree that this so-called starvation mode thingy is nonsense, I also think you should spend some time studying biochemistry. Then you would know how your body gets the energy it needs and why it does it that way. Fat storage is not the #1 on the list, whether you eat a lot, enough or you don't eat enough at all.

Also, you can get your message across way better without all the swearing, just sayin'.

I agree with you. Its all about eating when you are hungry and eating the right foods. I mean if you ate at mcdonalds every day then yeah you are going to put on weight. YOu have to eat the right foods and eat when you are hungry. Me myself I stop eating after 7pm. If I get hungry before I go to bed then its to bad stomach. I don't reach my 1200 calories everyday and I still eat a lot. But I'm making sure i'm eating the right foods to.

You could eat at McDonald's every damn day and still lose weight. Weight loss is about calories in vs calories out.
    Um I fail to see where I swore??

Actually they were referring to the original poster for that one.
  • pammiejean40
    pammiejean40 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    While I agree that this so-called starvation mode thingy is nonsense, I also think you should spend some time studying biochemistry. Then you would know how your body gets the energy it needs and why it does it that way. Fat storage is not the #1 on the list, whether you eat a lot, enough or you don't eat enough at all.

Also, you can get your message across way better without all the swearing, just sayin'.

I agree with you. Its all about eating when you are hungry and eating the right foods. I mean if you ate at mcdonalds every day then yeah you are going to put on weight. YOu have to eat the right foods and eat when you are hungry. Me myself I stop eating after 7pm. If I get hungry before I go to bed then its to bad stomach. I don't reach my 1200 calories everyday and I still eat a lot. But I'm making sure i'm eating the right foods to.

You could eat at McDonald's every damn day and still lose weight. Weight loss is about calories in vs calories out.
    Um I fail to see where I swore??

Actually they were referring to the original poster for that one.
    oh ok my bad
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    wow OP seems angry....

....or maybe hungry?
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    someone wake me up when the OP finally realizes that LBM retention is a "thing"

YUP!

The trick is to eat enough to fuel your workouts and retain LBM without feeling deprived/tired/hangry AND eat at a moderate deficit to lose stored fat. The problem is that all we have are estimations so we have to do a lot of trial and error coupled with patience.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    My question is, for those who say "you're not eating enough" and all of that horse****e, doesn't your body burn the fat you have stored when it needs it when you're "not eating enough"?? I really don't understand what is the problem with eating 1200 calories a day! You're not "starving" your body and all that bull****e, look at the people in Africa, THEY'RE STARVING! If I even eat 1500 calories a day, someone will say you're not eating enough, your body is gonna go in starvation mode, how do you expect your body to burn fat when you keep eating? People say your body holds on to the fat when you don't eat much, what a load of ****e, it's been proven numerous of times that you will still lose weight (FAT). If you're not eating "enough", your body needs energy, where is it gonna get that energy? Oh yeah, your stored fat. That would be the most obvious way, it wouldn't hold on to it when it needs energy, you canoot deny that FACT.

Not sure if you are asking a question or not?

If your actual question is 'where is it gonna get that energy' the simple answer is yes, from your stored body fat - converting amino acids from your adipose tissue into ketones for fuel.

reducing your insulin levels you can use ketones as your main fuel source - especially when your body is working at under 75% effort.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    My question is, for those who say "you're not eating enough" and all of that horse****e, doesn't your body burn the fat you have stored when it needs it when you're "not eating enough"?? I really don't understand what is the problem with eating 1200 calories a day! You're not "starving" your body and all that bull****e, look at the people in Africa, THEY'RE STARVING! If I even eat 1500 calories a day, someone will say you're not eating enough, your body is gonna go in starvation mode, how do you expect your body to burn fat when you keep eating? People say your body holds on to the fat when you don't eat much, what a load of ****e, it's been proven numerous of times that you will still lose weight (FAT). If you're not eating "enough", your body needs energy, where is it gonna get that energy? Oh yeah, your stored fat. That would be the most obvious way, it wouldn't hold on to it when it needs energy, you canoot deny that FACT.

Not sure if you are asking a question or not?

If your actual question is 'where is it gonna get that energy' the simple answer is yes, from your stored body fat - converting amino acids from your adipose tissue into ketones for fuel.

reducing your insulin levels you can use ketones as your main fuel source - especially when your body is working at under 75% effort.

Fat is not made of amino acids, proteins are.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    You are correct it's the fatty acid from adipose that's converted into ketones (amino acid from protein - converted into glycogen) - sorry it is 1 in the morning:smile:
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Welp welcome to the beginning of ED related bullsht.
    You may be able to lose weight eating 1200 but eventually your body will adjust to the energy level input/output making your body run "more efficient". If you still need to lose you will want to cut more calories and/or do more exercising. Is a vicious cycle.
  • R3dVamp
    R3dVamp Posts: 18
    Options
    What happens if you don't eat? Doesn't your body burn stored energy? Actually, no. The first thing that happens is that your blood sugar levels drop, and you become weak. Your body then secretes cortisol, which gets your blood sugar back to normal by breaking down your muscle tissue. The solution is to eat just enough every few hours to keep your blood sugar balanced.

Now what happens when you exercise? If your blood sugar is level, the energy comes from glycogen, or stored glucose in your muscles. Your cells prefer to burn carbs and fat for energy. The term burning is used because you need oxygen - that's why you breathe harder when you workout. The waste products of aerobic energy are carbon dioxide and water, which is why you sweat. Fat cannot be burned by itself, it must use carbs, which break down into glucose. When the muscle's glucose storage is depleted, the body stops burning fat for energy and starts burning/breaking down muscle for energy. This is when the muscle stops working. This is why athletes load up on carbs right before an intensive workout - they burn the sugar in their blood first in order to postpone using up their glycogen storage.

If you want to burn fat, you need to keep track of your heart rate. You want to use oxygen. There's a formula you can use to figure this out: start with 220 and subtract your age. I am 51, so that would be 169. Multiply that number by .7 to get your target heart rate, which is 70%. So for me that would be 118.3 beats per minute. So when I measure my pulse, I time the number of beats for 6 seconds, and then add a zero. I try to keep the number of beats on the treadmill between 120 and 140. Now, if you go higher, you will be burning muscle to provide energy. That's a good way to increase your stamina, but I would only do this in short bursts. You have probably heard the term for this as "interval" training. This creates anaerobic metabolism - when your cells don't need oxygen to convert glucose into energy. There are specific enzymes which process glucose more quickly, as compared to the enzymes that are used to break down fat during a less intense workout. During high intensity training, your body stimulates more of the growth hormone, which increases the rate of protein synthesis. The result is a faster breakdown of stored body fat.

Thank you! someone with the intelligence to realise how things actually work.
    We cant put brains in watermelons!
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    What happens if you don't eat? Doesn't your body burn stored energy? Actually, no. The first thing that happens is that your blood sugar levels drop, and you become weak. Your body then secretes cortisol, which gets your blood sugar back to normal by breaking down your muscle tissue. The solution is to eat just enough every few hours to keep your blood sugar balanced.

Now what happens when you exercise? If your blood sugar is level, the energy comes from glycogen, or stored glucose in your muscles. Your cells prefer to burn carbs and fat for energy. The term burning is used because you need oxygen - that's why you breathe harder when you workout. The waste products of aerobic energy are carbon dioxide and water, which is why you sweat. Fat cannot be burned by itself, it must use carbs, which break down into glucose. When the muscle's glucose storage is depleted, the body stops burning fat for energy and starts burning/breaking down muscle for energy. This is when the muscle stops working. This is why athletes load up on carbs right before an intensive workout - they burn the sugar in their blood first in order to postpone using up their glycogen storage.

If you want to burn fat, you need to keep track of your heart rate. You want to use oxygen. There's a formula you can use to figure this out: start with 220 and subtract your age. I am 51, so that would be 169. Multiply that number by .7 to get your target heart rate, which is 70%. So for me that would be 118.3 beats per minute. So when I measure my pulse, I time the number of beats for 6 seconds, and then add a zero. I try to keep the number of beats on the treadmill between 120 and 140. Now, if you go higher, you will be burning muscle to provide energy. That's a good way to increase your stamina, but I would only do this in short bursts. You have probably heard the term for this as "interval" training. This creates anaerobic metabolism - when your cells don't need oxygen to convert glucose into energy. There are specific enzymes which process glucose more quickly, as compared to the enzymes that are used to break down fat during a less intense workout. During high intensity training, your body stimulates more of the growth hormone, which increases the rate of protein synthesis. The result is a faster breakdown of stored body fat.

I don't think the op said they weren't going to eat at all.