Choosing goal weight?

Options
I was just wondering how everyone came about choosing their goal weights?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I didn't really, I went by BF%. My goal was to lose as much fat as possible without burning up a bunch of muscle. My goal weight was more of a range that I knew I should probably be in at my desired BF% supposing that I didn't burn too much muscle.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    At first, my long-term goal was simply to be under 200. I thought that would be enough. As I got closer, though, I adjusted my goal to the top end of the healthy BMI range for my height. I ridiculously thought I'd be "too skinny" at this weight, but that was just because I'd never been there before. Once I hit this, I dropped a few more pounds than shifted to maintenance. I like to know that I can go to the doctor's office having had coffee and wearing clothes and still weigh in at a healthy BMI.

Body fat percentage is another way to measure that probably makes more sense, but my doctor's office doesn't do body fat measurements ;)
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Checked Health Canada recommendation and went for the middle of their recommended range. That was 145 lbs and I overshot a little after reaching but settled in at 142. That is now my base weight and my goal to main but I expect/accept flucuations that will put me anywhere in the 140-145 range.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I picked what I looked good at when I was 21 (so... ages ago).
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Initially I went with a goal of 160 as that would mean I'd lost 100 pounds. Then I lowered it a bit to 157 to bring me into the high range of BMI for my height. And more recently I lowered it again to 150 to give me a bit of wiggle room once I get to goal. I may lower it again once I get closer to 150, we'll see.

Some folks set more short term goals because the long range freaks them out. Say you have 100 pounds to lose but that just seems like so much weight and it'll take forever. So you can set your your goal to 10 or 20 pounds and just tackle those smaller goals. Either way, you'll get there. Do whatever works best for you.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I liked the sound of 150lbs, no more to it than that really
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Mirror. On my last cut I actually had to drop 3-4 more lbs than I though I would to get the look I wanted to have.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    i reached into my *kitten* and pulled 212 out
  • sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My goal continued to change over time, and still does. But I was ultimately going for less body fat.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    At first I wanted to get to 135. Why?, because I used to weight 145 in my H.S. years and still thought I was big. I did however successfully reached 138 about 1yr and half ago. But eventually didn't stick and gained all of it back. This time around Im not focusing on the weight I really don't care how much my ending weight is. I am more concerned in lifting to make my legs, arms and back stronger. I have a 4yr old girl (besides 2 teen boys) and I will be dammed if I cant pick my baby girl up or make my boys break a sweat when they try to lift me off the ground and I wrestle them off... LOL!
  • Sarah_828
    Sarah_828 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I used to be 115 lbs when I was younger and super active. I lead a different lifestyle now and have different physical limitations, so I don't think that getting back down to that weight is realistic. While 135 lbs is still edging on "overweight" for 5'3", I'm quite curvy so I have to take that into consideration. It's not a hard goal for me. If I get down to 140 lbs and decide I'm happy with my weight, I'll stop. If I get down to 135 lbs and am not happy I'll keep going. For me it's not necessarily a number so much as being happy with the way I look.
  • jessicameadsstephens
    jessicameadsstephens Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have been overweight for 16 years so I set my goal at what i hoped I could reach and maintain for awhile, I will still be considered Overweight....but I just want to see what I can achieve.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Initially I chose my goal weight with my doctor, we decided on 170 to get me off high blood pressure medication. When I told a good friend this her comment was 'you may want to continue when you get there,' now I may have been too sensitive because that comment crushed me. 2nd phase goal was 150, that would have been a loss of 94 pounds, but recently I have been challenged to round it out to an even 100 pounds (I will get a cake then). I think for me personally because I have body image issues I probably really don’t have a goal weight.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Was always overweight, so at the beginning, I thought OK under 70kg would be OK, 65kg would be great.

When I saw how it was coming off, I went for the middle of my BMI range. I now am 5kg to goal and a BMI less than 24. So I am well on my way to my goal.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I picked what was comfortable to me and felt "normal" before I gained weight. Bang, 130 pounds.
  • jacquiearchambault
    jacquiearchambault Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Initially I went with a goal of 160 as that would mean I'd lost 100 pounds. Then I lowered it a bit to 157 to bring me into the high range of BMI for my height. And more recently I lowered it again to 150 to give me a bit of wiggle room once I get to goal. I may lower it again once I get closer to 150, we'll see.

Some folks set more short term goals because the long range freaks them out. Say you have 100 pounds to lose but that just seems like so much weight and it'll take forever. So you can set your your goal to 10 or 20 pounds and just tackle those smaller goals. Either way, you'll get there. Do whatever works best for you.

Yup - I just started so setting the small attainable goals is working for me. I want to get to 10 pounds then to 20 and so on till have shed the full 100 pounds I need to lose to get to my healthy weight
  • Jaybigp
    Jaybigp Posts: 6
    Options
    I chose the weight that I was my senior year in college. I was in the best shape of my life, and I felt healthy and strong.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    You don't choose your goal weight. Your Goal Weight chooses you.

In all honesty I have no idea what my goal weight is. I'll know when I get there....
  • chsa22
    chsa22 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    A few years ago (pre living with future husband) I was at 144-147lbs and I was very happy/comfortable at that weight. (I'm 5'6'') I am currently at 160lbs and trying to lose 10 slowly (the only way I know I will do it). If I can get my weight to the low 150's, I'll be satisfied. My clothes will fit more comfortably and hopefully I will have less belly fat. My weight always fluctuates a few lbs, so I think my goal weight will be between 150-154.
  • fredman2
    fredman2 Posts: 57
    Options
    I picked a target weight that was ATTAINABLE.

No sense in going for a ridiculous weight from the start and getting discouraged if you
    did not make it.

My case: 3 weeks ago I was 407.6.
    I am 'supposed to be' around 180.
    180's not gonna happen anytime soon, IF EVER.
    I was 180 when I was 16.
    So, I aimed for 299 - when I get there that will prove I can do it.
    Today I am 394.
    When I get to 299 I will aim for 265, and get there.
    Then I will aim for 245, and when I get there I will aim for 225, so there it is,
    it may take 2 years, but I am aiming for 225 long term.