Options
    bump
  • kolkol
    kolkol Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    bump to read more later :-)
  • aimiekundert
    Options
    I have no profile pics, but before I changed my eating habits, I wouldn't eat anything till luchtime, or maybe even dinner, and at that point, would have a fast food burger, and was gaining much weight. Now, I am doing Rushfit (already did a round of P90X), and jogging 6k 3-4 times a week, and have started eating 5 - 6 times a day, to get to about 1500-1600 cals a day, and I have lost 4 (almost 5!) dress sizes so far (that's alot for only 27 pounds). That being said, I haven't had fast food in 3 months, and I am making sure that my calories come from veggies, protein, and dairy as much as possible.
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    Options

Pictures:

Then (310 pounds)

1rpx14.jpg
    2pycmzm.jpg

Now (190 and Body Recomp)

2a5yyv4.jpg
    250qp9s.jpg

If I may say, you look hot!
  • KahalaGal
    KahalaGal Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    bump
  • angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My first month on MFP and I lost 8 lbs and 17 inches, eating between 1600 to 1800 calories (a couple of days I at or above 2000). I started out eating low calories (1300), but had no energy to kill it during my workout routines. Upped the calorie intake and I feel like Superwoman :smile: while working out. I notice if I have a low calorie day, the day before my workouts, I am weaker and cannot perform my maximum ability. For example I ate around 2000 yesterday and had a big breakfast today! killed it during my circuit and hiking, all after I walked the dog! Last week on a rest day, I ate less due to my activity level and on my workout the next day, I struggled. I completed the workout but did not do by best.

I look at it as I am fueling my body to perform everyday tasks and gain strength and endurance during my workouts. I really feel this new outlook is helping me. Before when I would try to shed the weight I looked at it as just that weight loss. This time it is so much more. Also, those 1600 to 1800 calories are pretty clean ( not all the time I do like the little things!). Lean meat, lots of veggies, and complex carbohydrates. I cheated a little on Halloween (it fit in my calories for the day) and had some sweets and that too affected my workout (did not meet my macros for that day).

Just to give you background to see where I stand, I am 5'7.5 (I have shrunk, used to be 5'9, darn you old age:cry: ) and 179 lbs, started at 188 lbs before MFP over 190 lbs. I am 36 years old. I eat at my TDEE which is currently at 1834 (moderately active). I do not eat my exercise calories back (they are included in my TDEE). I work out 5-6 times a week, roughly an 1 to 1.5 hours (weekends tend to be longer because I have more time).
  • orangebluesun
    orangebluesun Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I know there is quiet a few people who reaching their weight goal by upping calories, but most of us are so scared to do so ( including myself) so pleas share you success (STORIES AND PHOTOS) while upping your daily caloric intake. THANKS
    Thanks for making this statement. Same "boat" here.
  • Richardson62617
    Richardson62617 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • smokeytex74
    Options
    Has anybody actually reached a plateau and then lost some more weight by increasing calories?

I had reached a plateau for the last month.. MFP had me at 1460 calories for loosing 2 lbs. a week. When I did loose, it was almost always less than a pound and I felt like I was starving .. I reset my goals and opted for the 1.5 lb/week loss and MFP calculates my calories at 1680.. so far this week I am down 2 lbs (official weigh in is Wednesday) .. Since recalculating my calories, my body is not screaming that "you are starving me" like it was the last couple of weeks..

Don't be afraid to adjust as needed.. our bodies know what they need.
  • cccmmj12
    cccmmj12 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • aaasky
    aaasky Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This is crazy-old post, but I wish I'd found it when I was thinking about upping my calories, so I wanted to share my story too!

After losing about 35 pounds, I started gaining and losing the same 5 pounds for SIX MONTHS. It was making me crazy and 1450 calories a day wasn't helping. I was starving most of the time and that resulted in me making terrible food choices--too much processed sugar.

I read up on BMR and TDEE and used the IIFYM calculator. I now eat 1750 calories of the good stuff (fish, veggies, whole grains, plenty of peanut butter) and I'm so much happier. Even better, I broke the 6 month plateau and am losing again! Just a word of warning--I put on 6 pounds when I first started TDEE -20% and they stuck around for about 2 weeks before I saw a big whoosh of weight loss. Don't get discouraged! Eating more and losing is aaaamazing.
  • jilliangetsit
    jilliangetsit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    **(I USE TUMBLR FOR MY BEFORE AND AFTER/ PROGRESS PICTURES :) Because its easier to post there than it is here. You can look them up by searching for my user name on Tumblr. - Jilliangetsit
    Cheers!
    Maybe you should be eating more... (please look in to your BMR & TDEE)
    YES! It does sound counterproductive but/especially if you are exercising - YOU NEED MORE CALORIES lol I had lost about 12 lb on the 1200 cal limit that MFP gave me (fine and dandy) but I ended up exhausting myself because I wasn't providing myself with enough nutrition(energy) to sustain my daily routine let alone exercise on top of that. The weight came off, sure - slowly. Then all I wanted to do was ...well, nothing...and eat and it came right back. This go around I've increase my intake to 1400 (+/- 200 cal on a day to day basis depending on exercise and intensity) and literally 20 lb have fallen off of me in the last two months. I am 5'9" tall and went from 193.2 to 172.0 in two months. I'm sure WHAT I'm eating that makes up my daily 1400 calories has everything to do with how well this is working - (mostly clean/unprocessed foods and that is ON a Budget :) it can be done) but I don't feel hungry/deprived of food - I'm well rested every day and I'm losing weight. EAT to LOSE is real!! haha
    Feel free to add me if you'd like to peek my diary etc. Cheers and best of luck to you!
  • lecia125
    lecia125 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    bump for when I have more time!
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Encouraging to hear all these success stories. I've upped from 1200 to 1400 & now trying 1600. It's been 1 month now & my weight has stayed the same. Just wondered, for those who increased cals, how quick did you start loosing weight again?
  • missmeee
    missmeee Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately this does not work for me, started eating more calories and my belly started getting bigger , and yes I workout 5 days per week, cardio and strength training
  • Emi1974
    Emi1974 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories to my BMR a couple of days ago as MFP had recommended eating below my BMR. I will wait for a couple of weeks to see results. I really hope it works.
  • lilpocketrocket
    lilpocketrocket Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Ive been sitting around the 1300-1500 cal mark for a while now..im fluctuating between 63-65 kilos and my goal is 55.
    I train 6 days a week..5 with Tapout XT and now im getting back into running on sundays..after reading this I checked out my TDEE and minus 15% I should be around 1700-1800 calories.

First question did anyone gain weight the first couple weeks of upping your cals and any suggestions on what to add to my diet to bump up my intake?(im vegetarian btw).

Any help would be great!!!
  • the_summer_belle
    the_summer_belle Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    This is a great post I started off at 1200 calories and now 7 weeks in im burning 3000 calories a week but did not eat any more in fact this past week i ate less sometimes too little. You see I live in Australia and its been freaking hot! And when it's this hot all I can stomach is light food and lots of water. Anyways today i had like no energy and felt like that a bit yesterday too and I was thinking perhaps im eating too little now im working out 6 days a week burning 500 calories a day and im 5ft 10 as well so ive upped it slightly to 1400 ill see how it goes i dont want to shock my stomach as its used to 1200 and sometimes when its hot it feels like too much.

I like the suggestions about eating eggs for breakkie etc to upp calories so i dont necessarily have to eat more food just eat more calorie dense foods that are whole foods im def going to try that.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!