do you weight your self every day ?

Options
124»

Replies

• babydaisy81
    babydaisy81 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm on the scale too often, but only take into consideration my morning weight and record it maybe a few times a week.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Twice a day. I log the lowest amount of the two in my SS.

The data is invaluble, from trends and calorie data, you can extract what your actual surplus/deficit is and what intake you would maintain at.
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    weigh
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I only do if I'm really pushing myself during exercise. It's a good way to keep track of fluid loss so you can re-hydrate properly.
  • crose0056
    crose0056 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    6 out of 7 I would say
  • ashlwar84
    ashlwar84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, unfortunately, I too, am one of those "chained to the number on the scale" people. I weight 3-4 times a day (not kidding). I weigh before I workout in the morning, after I workout in the morning, before I workout in the evening, after I workout in the evening. Of course, I am also in a competition (imagine Biggest Loser but on a gym-wide scale), so that might have something to do with my obnoxious tendencies (or not, LOL).
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Yes. Helps me track of what worked and what didn't based on previous day.
  • timmfp
    timmfp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, without clothes, immediately after going to the bathroom but before drinking or eating anything. I figure that's the best way to get a consistent value.

Even with doing that I still notice swings of +/- 2 lbs. Google "The Hacker's Diet" if you've never heard of it. He uses exponential smoothing to filter out the noise of the day to day swings to give you a moving average that's pretty damned reflective (in my experience) of your day to day success or failure at healthy living. The formula is simplistic enough to create on your own in Excel without following his whole program, or you can use his free online tools.

I use MFP as my food diary, The Hacker's Diet as my weight diary, and various fitness apps (SportsTrackLive is an excellent one for runners and hikers) to track exercise. MFP gets the data entry for weight and exercise too, but in this instance I'm more concerned with the daily moving average from Hacker's Diet than the raw numbers.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Twice a day or more. I just like seeing the number.
  • equestrian_girl
    Options
    I weigh myself naked every morning and log that, and I weigh myself at the gym before and after my workout to see how much water I lost and make a note to drink lots.

The number flucctuates which is fine, mostly I feel really happy seeing my weight because I'm so close to my goal! It keeps me really motivated, to see a reminder that hard work pays off :)

The flucctuations are crazy though, I can be 119 in the morning and 123 the following morning, even though everything was as usual.

I would think if you are really far from your goal, you should weigh in less because of how much time needs to go by with good behaviour before you see what you like. It will feel like groundhog day which can be discouraging... When I was 131 I definitely did not want to see those numbers!!
  • Frogtalk
    Frogtalk Posts: 10
    Options
    if you HAVE to weight yourself everyday (I don't, I have a scale at the gym I use to weigh in weekly), then write down ALL the weights, and at the end of the week divide by 7 to get what you averaged that week. Anything from needing to go bathroom to storage of water to that time of month can make your weight fluctuate,and throw you off track, or worse, make you feel miserable.