Diet Soda vs Sparkling Water

Options
2»

Replies

• SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    At home, we drink plain Setzer Water and add fruit. Most recently, we drink Setzer Water with Grapefruit. Gives you great taste thats fresh without all the chemicals. We get the big Setzer Waters from the grocery store and in SoCal Grapefruit are currently 2/$1.00 with each grapefruit lasting about a week and a half!
  • meeulk
    meeulk Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    There are sparkling waters that have natural flavor (cherry, lime, etc) that are not full of crap (like aspartame).

You have to read the ingredients though to make sure it's just water and natural flavor.

My favorite is cherry made by Vintage Seltzer. http://www.vintageseltzer.com/ Ingredients are carbonated water and natural flavor (that's it). But, they're NOT sweet!
  • SheFitWalks
    SheFitWalks Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I started using Seltzer Water. On hand I have Vintage Seltzer and Food Lion's Seltzer Water. Both list their ingredients as:
    Ingredients: Carbonated water. That's all! I have really enjoyed these seltzer waters with just a splash or two of juices. One day I was out of my typical Cranberry juice and even used orange juice. It still tasted great!

0 calories! (Well, except for the juice.)
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to drink something with less calories than soda?
    Are you trying to avoid aspartame?

What are we getting at here?
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm not against drinking diet sodas or consuming products with artificial sweetners. I put splenda in my coffee daily. I don't eat "clean". All I do is eat/drink better than I used to. I only live once so to deprive my body of anything is absurd to me. With that being said...I want to drink a lot of water, but I get tired of water. I have found I don't care for the water that has a splash of flavor. (They taste blah without carbonation). I bought the cheap walmart water and I realize it is no different than soda. So, I wanted a carbonated water that has the least amount of chemicals that tastes ok. I will try LaCroix as well as plain and splashing 100% juice in it.
  • RaeLB
    Options
    Okay, the reason I asked is because the whole 8 glasses of water thing is a myth. First of all, you can get your water from any source that has water in it: soda, juice, coffee, fruits, veggies, etc. Your body will not discriminate, it will take the water. Second, your body will tell you if you need more water: thirst.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/8-glasses-of-water-a-day-an-urban-myth-1.1196386
  • RaeLB
    Options
    So drink what you love :drinker:
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Beer? Wine? Anything? lol
  • lask722
    lask722 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you'd probably love a sodastream. It turns plain water into sparkling/carbonated water, then it's up to you what to add, if anything.

Personally I like it's versatility and use it in a variety of ways. Most often I drink it straight, no additives, but sometimes I'll add something natural like mint leaves, a squeeze of lemon, even a vanilla bean. There are a plethora of sodastream syrups that you can buy, and using those IS the same as having soda, if that is a concern for you. However, you can control the amount you use. The only one I use on occasion is the cream soda syrup, but I only add enough to suit my taste, which is about 1/3 as strong as what you'd find in a can at the store.
  • RaeLB
    Options
    Beer? Wine? Anything? lol

Errrrrrrrr LOL I should have put an asterisk in there! Alcohol makes you urinate more and reduces your volume of water!

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/02/28/3441707.htm
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    If you want to add flavor to your water, put some fruit in it. :tongue:
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I love those sparkling waters!! I have a bunch in my fridge now. The reason I prefer them over diet soda is because they lack sodium. I don't think I would drink solely sparkling water, but they are a nice treat.

Both diet soda and the sparkling waters you mentioned contain Aspartame. There is plenty of research suggesting aspartame increases appetite, sugar cravings, etc, etc. I don't have an opinion either way, but it's something worth looking into.