Options
13»

Replies

• IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I know NOTHING about protein powder.
    Than why would you take it?

Isolating one macro-nutrient from a food, and then eating it in concentrations not found in nature is never a good idea. It's not a good idea when it's carbohydrates (sugar), it's not a good idea when it's fat (oil) and it's still not a good idea when it's protein.

Why do people like you exist... Just because it's not 'naturally made' doesn't mean it's bad for you. You telling me you eat everything raw and unprocessed?
    Did i say "naturally made"? I think maybe you are thinking i said something else.

What i did say was that isolating one macro-nutrient from a food, and then eating it in concentrations not found in nature is never a good idea. It's not a good idea when it's carbohydrates (sugar), it's not a good idea when it's fat (oil) and it's still not a good idea when it's protein.

If they are having trouble meeting protein targets on a daily basis, then it is perfectly fine to supplement some of it. I would say that trying to get protein from natural sources is the first recommendation, but getting some from whey supplementation is not a big deal.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    What i did say was that isolating one macro-nutrient from a food, and then eating it in concentrations not found in nature is never a good idea. It's not a good idea when it's carbohydrates (sugar), it's not a good idea when it's fat (oil) and it's still not a good idea when it's protein.

You can say it over and over, but it still doesn't make it true.

Judging by your profile, your goal is massive lean mass loss. Judging by your picture, you have been successful.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Than why would you take it?

Isolating one macro-nutrient from a food, and then eating it in concentrations not found in nature is never a good idea. It's not a good idea when it's carbohydrates (sugar), it's not a good idea when it's fat (oil) and it's still not a good idea when it's protein.

Why do people like you exist... Just because it's not 'naturally made' doesn't mean it's bad for you. You telling me you eat everything raw and unprocessed?
    Did i say "naturally made"? I think maybe you are thinking i said something else.

What I haven't seen you say is WHY isolating one macronutrient is "never a good idea," regarding any of the macronutrients in general, or protein specifically. Care to elaborate?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    What I haven't seen you say is WHY isolating one macronutrient is "never a good idea," regarding any of the macronutrients in general, or protein specifically. Care to elaborate?

Well too much sugar and you potentially increase your risk for diabetes

if you eat way more protein then your body actually needs, its bad for your kidneys.

obviously, just consumption protein powder itself isn't going to put you at risk, but consuming a truly excessive amount of protein would. the powder would be a lot easier to 'abuse' then chicken.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

if you eat way more protein then your body actually needs, its bad for your kidneys.

obviously, just consumption protein powder itself isn't going to put you at risk, but consuming a truly excessive amount of protein would. the powder would be a lot easier to 'abuse' then chicken.
    And it's your belief that protein powder is "never a good idea" because it comes in "concentrations not found in nature?"
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options

And it's your belief that protein powder is "never a good idea" because it comes in "concentrations not found in nature?"

never said that, just pointing out why it could be potentially harmfully, since you asked
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

never said that, just pointing out why it could be potentially harmfully, since you asked

Just a quick look over the OP's diary for a few days shows that there is a definite struggle to hit protein targets. So, I don't think over consuming protein is going to be an issue. Even then, there is some myths surrounding amounts of protein one can take it. Now, if you're getting in 5+g/lb of body weight each day, then you may have some problems. However, it's really rare to see someone over consume protein by that degree.

As far as sugar is concerned, I don't see a lot of whey powders that contain a lot of sugar. Again, I don't think it's a real issue here.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I use Cellucor. I order it on bodybuilding.com and get it for a pretty good price. $29.99 for 30 servings. They had a deal when I bought it the first time that came with 3 containers of protein powder for $69.99 and 30 servings of their C4 preworkout for free. I bought the molten chocolate, cor-fetti cake batter, and peanut butter marshmallow. I like them all.
  • joshkirk06
    Options
    Really depends on what your goals are, what your taking it for(post workout, meal replacement, etc) but overall I'd sat it's hard to go wrong with Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey. Tons of great flavors too.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The only one I can stand the taste of is Unjury, and I really like the chocolate ones. You have to order it online, but you can order packets to try. I originally got both kinds of chocolate, and I can't tell the difference.

I drink mine in the morning, mixed with powdered peanut butter and almond milk.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start having a protein shake. I've never had protein powder before I'm really just looking for suggestions. A friend of mine suggested to try a protein powder that is under 5 carbs and less than 130 calories.

Suggestions...? Brands..?

I've tried MANY and some really are super gross!! I found Champion Ultramet Low Carb protein packs (they're a little pricey but amazing on taste!!) to be the absolute best!! My fav is the vanilla with a little bit of cinnamon, water, and ice!! OMG to die for and it packs a whole lot of protein!