Crossfit Sued by Transgender Athlete

Options
SGM_Adonis
SGM_Adonis Posts: 1,565 Member
Because they won't let her compete in the women's division due to the fact that she was born with a peen. Thoughts?

0306-chloie-jonsson-2.jpg

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    i'll take a swing....

i think this is a pretty clear-cut case.

this isnt a question of allowing her in the womens locker room, of having "female" on her license...

if it is true that the muscle characteristics of the genders differ, then i think this call is the right one.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I read the article about it, and it said that she's been on hormones for long enough that it doesn't give her an advantage. They also said the Olympics and collegiate levels allow for transgender athletes to compete in their current gender as long as they have completed transition.

Before I read that, I wasn't ok with it, but if the levels of hormones truly have changed her body composition to not give an advantage, then I'm ok.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    i'll take a swing....

i think this is a pretty clear-cut case.

this isnt a question of allowing her in the womens locker room, of having "female" on her license...

if it is true that the muscle characteristics of the genders differ, then i think this call is the right one.

But if she's undergone the hormone therapy won't that put her on a level playing field with the ladies? Not the men?

*Edited was typing out response as above poster stated that. Yep I agree.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    People who undergo a sex change are treated with large amounts of female hormones removing any hormonal advantage that being born a man would give her. The Olympics allow athletes to compete one year after the change. This sets a major precedent and if Crossfit was smart they would have adopted the Olympic standard. USA Rugby has.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    I read the article about it, and it said that she's been on hormones for long enough that it doesn't give her an advantage. They also said the Olympics and collegiate levels allow for transgender athletes to compete in their current gender as long as they have completed transition.

Before I read that, I wasn't ok with it, but if the levels of hormones truly have changed her body composition to not give an advantage, then I'm ok.
    People who undergo a sex change are treated with large amounts of female hormones removing any hormonal advantage that being born a man would give her. The Olympics allow athletes to compete one year after the change. This sets a major precedent and if Crossfit was smart they would have adopted the Olympic standard. USA Rugby has.

good call.
    with that added knowledge of the amount of hormone therapy, if her muscle structure now represents that of a female moreso than a male, then i believe she should be able to compete with the women.

the only thing i know for sure is that she'd whoop me. :drinker:
  • SGM_Adonis
    SGM_Adonis Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options

I didn't know about the hormones having that type of effect on a woman. Really shows how clueless I am about transgender conversions. Interesting...I was initially thinking along the same lines as skull.

Okay at the risk of sounding sexist (I cringe at the use of ..."at the risk of..") but anywhooooo....Do any of you think that competitive wise, do men tend to be more competitive than women? Wouldn't that be an unfair advantage? Or is the competitive edge owed to the testosterone levels?
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    I don't really think that either gender has the lock on being more competitive. I think it's a personality trait more than anything else.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

I didn't know about the hormones having that type of effect on a woman. Really shows how clueless I am about transgender conversions. Interesting...I was initially thinking along the same lines as skull.

Okay at the risk of sounding sexist (I cringe at the use of ..."at the risk of..") but anywhooooo....Do any of you think that competitive wise, do men tend to be more competitive than women? Wouldn't that be an unfair advantage? Or is the competitive edge owed to the testosterone levels?

I'd guess that generally men are more competitive than women (my husband for example will make a competition out of EVERY LITTLE THING). But I have men some very competitive women (who were born female), and I bet a lot of those type of women are drawn to something like Crossfit anyway, so she probably fits right in.
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    This is the article I read: http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/07/us/transgender-lawsuit-crossfit/index.html

And I was of the same mindset as Skullshank before I read it.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    If transgender women begin dominating women's sports, we will know for sure I guess.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    If transgender women begin dominating women's sports, we will know for sure I guess.

No we won't because mainstream media doesn't care about women's sports.

:bigsmile:
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    And now I have ads at the bottom of my page that say "To meet a Transgender..."
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • elfram2
    elfram2 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Chromosomes determine male or female not hormones. This is a very new science that asserts that she has no advantage. I am sure that there are very few if any long term (20-50) year studies on the subject. I am 5' 6" so I knew at a very young age that I would never play in the NBA. I didn't yell discrimination against "shorty" because I was not as tall as the pro players. This person should just learn to enjoy bodybuilding for the sake of body building not for sport.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options

LMAO

All I know is that I would love to have a body like hers (sans tattoos cause ouchie :P ). I agree that CF should follow Olympic standards
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    do men tend to be more competitive than women? Wouldn't that be an unfair advantage? Or is the competitive edge owed to the testosterone levels?

Since I had to do my undergrad degree with a bunch of premed females, I'm going with Hell No. :laugh:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

That's the end of it right there.

I couldn't imagine CF thinking they have more knowledge than the NCAA or IOC.
  • KatieMae75
    KatieMae75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I don't really see why she shouldn't be able to complete with the women. Assuming she isn't producing high levels of testosterone, and has been on female hormone replacements, then she's a woman. I'd compete next to her.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

That would have been my biggest question as to whether it's fair. Would having grown up a man with the hormonal differences while developing allow for an unfair advantage. Given the Olympics allow this, I would think no.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Oh, my.
    I'd be game, but not looking bahaha.
This discussion has been closed.