Feeling really guilty

Options
I decided to make today this week's cheat day. My dad and I stopped at this old family-owned Mexican place. I had three tacos with shredded beef, some beans, and rice. Also had a 170-calorie soda. Then for dinner I had one and a half shredded beef burritos. I feel like I went way overboard and I feel terrible about it. The tacos and burritos were pretty small but I still feel guilty. All I had for breakfast was some cereal, so that helps, but I'm pretty sure I went well over my limit. And because I don't know where the ingredients are from I really have no way to estimate how much was actually in my food.

How do you deal with this? The guilt, I mean? I feel really, really bad. I started changing my diet and exercising last week and I already screwed up.

Replies

• missbubbly86
    Options
    Hi Hun , I'm Casey don't feel bad or guilty just take it as lesson learnt and Denver tomorrow is another day, so lift your spirits up an keep looking an focusing on the change you are wanting :) every one fails at times but the people that pick them self back up have the determination to succeed :)
  • whitebeard28
    Options
    So you fell off the wagon? We all do it from time to time. No harm done , just get back on the wagon and continue. The biggest thing is not to get discouraged and quit. We all are rooting for you ...Happy Days ahead!! LOL!!
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Its not about perfection its about persistence! Don't worry just stay on track and you'll be fine! Its not about what your weight will be today or tomorrow its about the change that happens over a year! focus on your successes and move on from the setbacks :):flowerforyou:
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Been there... actually last weekend was one of those times. The important thing is you don't let it knock you off track. Get back on the wagon and do better tomorrow. If I over-do it I try to eat a little less the next day (and make healthier choices) and work it out hard in the gym. But seriously, don't stress about it. What's done is done. Just remember how you feel so next time you get in this situation you think twice. You've been at this a week, so give yourself a little more time to get in your groove.
  • tunastamper
    Options
    Thank you for the reassurance, everyone. Just feeling kind of down because I was doing so well. But I think I'll be all right. I've already got my meals for tomorrow planned, a bunch of light foods, so hopefully I'll get back on track soon enough. On the bright side, I went out and bought some athletic shoes today and a lock for my bike so I can take it back to school with me. :)
  • tgmichelleee
    tgmichelleee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You actually didn't do so bad! Just jump back on track love

I don't do well with cheat days, what ended up happening for me was that I would binge on my cheat day which would ruin everything I worked for that week. Also my cheat days quickly turned into cheat weeks since I would lose motivation and postpone eating healthy and working out until the following Monday where I would in theory start fresh. But by then, I would lose motivation which is really silly looking back.

Hate to quote Miley on this one but, everyone makes mistakes, everyone has those days, nobody's perfect.
    It's a process and its tough but I'm learning that a new day is literally a new day, clean slate. One day is not going to ruin it, but one day can help me one step closer to my goal
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    As the others have said, just keep going and try not to feel guilty. Real life happens! Use it as a learning opportunity.

I signed up on Saturday and was all set for a "good" beginning as my fiance is away for the week and I had planned a quiet weekend of healthy eating and catching up on jobs around the house. Then a friend who is moving away soon invited me out for a meal, and I didn't want to pass that up as it will be the last time I see her until June. I made my usual choices at the restaurant and yes I drank too much wine, but I still tracked everything as I thought it would be a good opportunity to see how it all added up. I felt a little annoyed with myself for sabotaging myself so soon, but I had a good time, saw my friend and next time I go out for a meal or drinks I'll be better informed.

Good luck in your journey x
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ..... cheat day.

this is your issue, don't look on it as a cheat day. One day isn't going to derail your progress, as you're concerned net off a bit each day for the next three or four days and it's not an issue.

Words are important "cheat" isn't a useful one in tis context.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    he problem is you feel guilty, don't. We are all human and make mistakes. Just get back on that horse and keep trying.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Guilt is a waste of time, the foods happened, its over.
    Doesn't sound all that bad to me anyway.
    I was hungry today, I swam, I ate an entire pizza (approx. 850cals) factored it into my day.
    What the whooo.
    Maybe you could work on your poor thinking rather than worrying about the food - I don't mean that in a bad way, just work on being nicer to yourself.
  • lizmac57
    lizmac57 Posts: 2
    Options
    Everybody had lapses now and then it's what makes us human , just start afresh and make today a good day
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    If you consciously decided this was a cheat day, then how can you consider that you fell off the wagon or have something to feel guilty about? Unless you feel guilty that you allowed yourself a cheat day? If that is the case, then just don't do that. Maybe easier said than done, I don't know, because I don't have cheat days. But if I consciously decided that I'm going to eat X, Y, or Z, then I'm sure as heck not going to feel guilty about it!
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    so what you're saying is ....

you got to spend some quality time with your dad and share a meal??? must have been a very enjoyable evening.. :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    No big deal, tomorrow is a new day. What's most important is how you let making a mistake affect you. Part of life is making mistakes and being able to move on. So, no quitting over it, just say I'm going to do better tomorrow. I can do this and I can accept that I will make mistakes and I'll just do better tomorrow. You got this!
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Know what you are feeling. I went away for the weekend and had no access to MFP. I was scared of going over my calories, which I'm sure I did. I felt guilty when I ate, even though I passed on desserts and the like. It was the first time I was unable to log before I ate. Now that I am back, and I can log again, I am feeling much better about it. Just have to start again and continue with better choices. Every day is a new day, and its what we make of them that matter. Keep up the hard work, it is worth it!
  • oSummerRaeo
    oSummerRaeo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Apart from the soda, it sounds like a pretty nice meal !
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The loudest part of your post to me, OP, is this feeling of "guilt." You may want to check in with yourself and your expectations of weight loss, how you view yourself, what you assume behavior change must look like, and your internally-held sense of punishment. Many heavy people have internalized messages about shame, and we can allow the punishing voice inside our heads to drown out both hope AND reason. It's best to check in with those inner messages early on and find a kinder way to handle the many hiccups that will accompany any behavior change efforts.

To me, here's a reasonable approach to your perhaps unintentional calorie splurge. Account for it. Document it in your food tracker, knowing that you can't be precise about what you ate. Resist the urge to low-ball your numbers--you'll find a wide range of calories and macros in the many "burrito" entries on MFP. If you knew your burritos were pretty cheesy, or smothered with guac and sour cream, do your best to account for those calories and fats. Put it all in your tracker.

And do it again the next day.

Behavior change is an ongoing process, and it starts with choosing which singular behavior you're going to change and a means to document that behavior. One of the easiest entry points for behavior change tracking here on MFP is dutiful use of the food tracker. Whatever you eat, however you feel about what you ate, document it. Every single day.

Over time, you'll find yourself more aware of your food choices BEFORE you eat. You may even start testing out what you'd like to eat by putting it into the tracker FIRST, and go from there.

But be a little gentler with yourself. Be firm in your commitment to track your food, and more realistic in your expectations of your behavior change. Stick to tracking as your first step, and you will likely add in additional changes as you go along.

Hang in there.
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Gah! Hate to be a thread killer!

So, how are you doing TODAY, OP?

I hope you're feeling strong about your plan and greeting today as a fresh opportunity.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Aw. Real normal life is about sensible eating peppered with treats and social events - this was one of them.

Most of us have had to learn not to hide from these things otherwise it's a diet not a lifestyle change. The day after is what counts, that is getting straight back to normal eating, no need to overcompensate etc, just resume the norm.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Take a calendar and mark how many days you eat below your maintenance.
    then mark how many cheat days.
    If the cheat days, the ones you eat well above maintenance, are more than the low days....
    You get my point.

BTW the negative feelings you have towards food can actually alter the way your body processes it.
    If you decide to have a "cheat day" enjoy it!
    I found that most of my whooshes happened the day after a cheat meal!
    ;D