Military Diet.

Options
13»

Replies

• sjkcarter
    sjkcarter Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    As an Air Force vet this is highly laughable. I have never eaten as much food as I ate when I was in basic training. This is absolutely ridiculous.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Most active duty military look good physically beacuse the job requires pleanty of physical activity as well as near 24 hour access to a multitude of fitness options. It has nothing to do with intake and all about the burn.
    I disagree that 'most active duty look good physically.' A good portion are fat and out of shape. Unless you're in infantry or special ops/warfare/forces, then you won't see as many fat bodies because their lives depend on it. But most servicemembers work in support jobs behind the wire, not infantry.

My original post was just kinda-sorta joking. We eat like crap in the military, and if you don't have a rating/mos/whatever that requires a lot of physical activity, you will gain a lot of weight. Particularly if you have a job that requires long hours where you simply don't have access to gym equipment. I'm here because I'm recovering from gaining 30 lbs on sea duty. Your only choices are to always feel hungry, or to eat 3-4000 calories of a high carb, high fat diet, high preservative diet and the one broken treadmill onboard paired with lack of sleep isn't going to keep the weight off.

I'm not offended by the term, it's actually an underhanded compliment made by someone who clearly hasn't walked around a base. I just thought it was funny that people thought servicemembers ate fresh produce everyday in the middle of the desert or the middle of the ocean. Produce spoils after like 5 days, the food takes that long to even get delivered, let alone until it's prepared and eaten. Rice, potatoes, pasta, and canned goods are the things that don't spoil, so it is mostly what people in the military eat. Meat/chicken is expensive, and the military has to feed hundreds of thousands of people, so we get cheap cuts of meat.

In all seriousness, the diet she posted was okay for macros but she probably has to double all the portions of everything in order to lose weight at a healthy pace. It's also not sustainable for the long term and will not build the habits one needs to form to lose weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I disagree that 'most active duty look good physically.' A good portion are fat and out of shape. Unless you're in infantry or special ops/warfare/forces, then you won't see as many fat bodies because their lives depend on it. But most servicemembers work in support jobs behind the wire, not infantry.

Not in my Corps...there are no fat Marines. There are fat squids, fat airmen, and fat soldiers...there are no fat *kitten* Devil Dogs. That is all...Oorah...carry on!
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Not in my Corps...there are no fat Marines. There are fat squids, fat airmen, and fat soldiers...there are no fat *kitten* Devil Dogs. That is all...Oorah...carry on!
    :laugh:

It's funny because you're being serious...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

It's funny because you're being serious...

fullmetaljacket.jpg

I said carry on...
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    :huh: No... just no. that's not enough to sustain anyone for any length of time.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    So heres my opinion:

My sis in law was given this "diet" in order to lose weight in a month for a surgery. It was successful. She lost about 30 lbs.

My brother did this diet for a summer and lost 60 lbs. 3 days eating this list, and 4 days eating normal, then back to 3 days.

Ive tried this diet and have only gotten to Day 2. lol. I was miserable, hungry, and just hungry. I would recommend this only by doubling all the servings for every meal. lol. Ive tried it a few times, nope not for me!

Ive lost 40 lbs so far by eating 1500-1900 cals a day and exercising in 5 months. Whoot! :)
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Most active duty military look good physically beacuse the job requires pleanty of physical activity as well as near 24 hour access to a multitude of fitness options. It has nothing to do with intake and all about the burn.

My original post was just kinda-sorta joking. We eat like crap in the military, and if you don't have a rating/mos/whatever that requires a lot of physical activity, you will gain a lot of weight. Particularly if you have a job that requires long hours where you simply don't have access to gym equipment. I'm here because I'm recovering from gaining 30 lbs on sea duty. Your only choices are to always feel hungry, or to eat 3-4000 calories of a high carb, high fat diet, high preservative diet and the one broken treadmill onboard paired with lack of sleep isn't going to keep the weight off.

I'm not offended by the term, it's actually an underhanded compliment made by someone who clearly hasn't walked around a base. I just thought it was funny that people thought servicemembers ate fresh produce everyday in the middle of the desert or the middle of the ocean. Produce spoils after like 5 days, the food takes that long to even get delivered, let alone until it's prepared and eaten. Rice, potatoes, pasta, and canned goods are the things that don't spoil, so it is mostly what people in the military eat. Meat/chicken is expensive, and the military has to feed hundreds of thousands of people, so we get cheap cuts of meat.

In all seriousness, the diet she posted was okay for macros but she probably has to double all the portions of everything in order to lose weight at a healthy pace. It's also not sustainable for the long term and will not build the habits one needs to form to lose weight.

Even a support unit in the Army (which I was in - Aviation) we still PT at 6am - every day for 1.5hours. There was no getting out of it unless you were going to sick call every day and that ended up being written up for Malingering. Yup, we eat like crap in the military but burned it off pretty quick too :) Every Friday was a 10 mile battallion run... god I hate running...
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    it's not called a military diet because thats what they actually eat in the military. they call it that as sort of a nod to it being intense and difficult.

Totally. I can see this being just as mentally demanding as getting up at 0300 (on about 4 hours of sleep) and marching 10 miles to the firing range with a 40lb rucksack, spending all day qualifying with different weapons and drilling tactics, then marching 10 miles home. Oh, wait..:huh:

I wasn't saying it is comparable I'm just saying they don't call it the military diet because they eat it in the military. I also didn't invent the diet or believe it would work, no need to be condescending.
  • kprangernix07
    kprangernix07 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQY68tU8WO6AHGT4M-2YWDmRtQgMZxv_VoQVct-VEwNe6owx1dCLw

Agreed.

P.S. If you've been in a military chow hall… you know that the notion of a diet structured after the military is laughable.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I was in the military and even in boot camp we ate at least twice that. You may lose weight, but it will be mostly water and you'll gain it back when you stop. For me that diet would make me binge eat when I stopped it.

ditto here...

My military diet was eat as much as I could as quickly as I could because you never knew when you were gonna have to leave.

esp out in the field...

I lost weight but that was all the exercise we did.