1200 cals a day?!

Options
Hey :)

Is anyone else on 1200 cals a day?

I'm finding it impossible.... It's ok on days I go to the gym (usually 5 x a week burning 600 cals each time) but when I don't I'm always over 1200.
It means every week I'm over my net amount.

Tips/advice/reassurance appreciated!

Replies

• lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day is too low for most people.

Do you know your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) or Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE)?
  • sophie94x2014
    sophie94x2014 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Im on 1200 a day and i am underweight! So 1200 isnt going to help me be a healthy weight really lol
  • TommyJensen1987
    Options
    I am, but like you it is only possible because I also eat some of my exercise calories. It is certainly not a lot of food.
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You probably set too aggressive a weekly loss goal. With only 20 lbs to lose you should aim for 1 lb a week or less. You should look up your BMR & TDEE (look up Scooby's calculator for an easy one) and change your goals to one of those numbers, depending on if you want to eat back exercise calories or just eat a steady amount (TDEE).
  • GemW27
    GemW27 Posts: 41
    Options
    My BMR is 1412
  • Cashmere15
    Options
    I'm on 1,350 calories and that seems a little impossible for me too. I'm used to eating almost 3000 calories a day. But what seems to really work for me is drinking water through out the day. Lots and lots of water! And having water while you eat helps you to eat less. I've been going over a couple hundred calories but I have to get used to not eating so much. But if I wasn't drinking water I would be going over more than a couple hundred. I hope this helped :) Keep up the hard work! Don't give up!
  • louiseajm
    louiseajm Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm trying to do 1200 calories a day. It's a struggle - breakfast is usually a piece of fruit, but most lunches and dinners are ok. Weightwatchers has some good recipes for 400-500 calories per main meal.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    1200 is the number of calories suggested to lose weight if you do NOTHING at all all day besides rest. If you do any form of exercise (doesn't need to be a 'work out') you will get hungry if you don't eat more. Do you walk anywhere during the day, clean house, shopping etc - these will require more energy - difficulty is working out how much.

Why not have a nose around at other people's food diaries (friends or 'open' ones) and see how others are meeting their calorie targets and how they build exercise into their day.

I am on 1200 target and try and eat back about 50% of my exercise calories. Add me if you like (UK so foods sometimes difficult to compare)
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I am, but like you it is only possible because I also eat some of my exercise calories. It is certainly not a lot of food.

TommyJensen - a male should never eat below 1600 calories a day.
  • lindzalexis
    lindzalexis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 calories a day. I exercise maybe 2-3 times a week - sometimes cardio but usually a 15-minute bodyweight circuit. Since my calorie burn is so low (usually 150-200 calories), I don't eat those calories back.

I read a lot on here that 1200 is too low, but based on my height/weight and the fact that I only have about 20 pounds to lose, it seems to be pretty accurate. It's super hard, but I've managed to stay *mostly* on track for the last 10 weeks. I do have days where I'm closer to 1350, but I try not to stress about it.

I eat a small, protein-rich breakfast, a small lunch, and then a healthy but good-sized dinner (steak and veggies, etc). I've cut out soda and increased my water intake. I also try to stay somewhat low-carb (previously I was eating pasta at least 5 days a week!). So far, I've only lost 6 or 7 pounds, but I'm happy with it.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Read this...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=short+sweet+<span class=

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I eat 1800 calories a day and am losing weight. I eat/drink what I want. It's about moderation not deprivation. :flowerforyou:
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options

TommyJensen - a male should never eat below 1600 calories a day.

I agree. When you super low calories like that for a long time it can mess with your hormones & mentally is an exhausting way to live.
  • Charlenetij
    Options
    People have lost weight on 1500 calories a day. Try that and see if you are more content. An extra 300 calories may make a big difference in feeling satisfied.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    1200 is the number of calories suggested to lose weight if you do NOTHING at all all day besides rest. If you do any form of exercise (doesn't need to be a 'work out') you will get hungry if you don't eat more. Do you walk anywhere during the day, clean house, shopping etc - these will require more energy - difficulty is working out how much.

Why not have a nose around at other people's food diaries (friends or 'open' ones) and see how others are meeting their calorie targets and how they build exercise into their day.

I am on 1200 target and try and eat back about 50% of my exercise calories. Add me if you like (UK so foods sometimes difficult to compare)

Only true if you actually fit the criteria of a 1200 calorie a day deficit. Most women should eat significantly more, and will still lose weight.
  • kyleleslie83
    kyleleslie83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 per day on the days I don't exercise. For breakfast I have 1/2 cup of Fiber One, 1/4 cup of ricotta cheese and 1/2 cup of blueberries of strawberries. For lunch I always have a big salad with only vinegar for dressing - focus on spinach, romaine, fresh veggies. For protein I focus on garbonzo beans and egg whites and a little shredded cheese. This is an easy way to eat a lot of food without cosuming a lot of calories. This usually leaves me with about 600 or so for dinner/evening wine so its manageable. There is no question that its easier on the days I exercise. Also make sure you are drinking a lot of water. This will help you to feel full.
  • angelzxy321
    angelzxy321 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 as well. Most days it's fine but some days I'm just ravenous and can't help but eat more so I exercise some to negate it. I think the only way it is possible to stay to 1200 is to make every calorie count. For me that means
    1 - only healthy snacks (for me this means high protein, low fat or something filling with lots of fiber)
    2 - low fats (fats have more than twice as much calories as carbs or protein)
    3 - lots of vegetables (very low on calories)
    4 - low calorie fruits to fill me up and add some sweet naturally to my diet (berries and apples)
    5 - and a whole lot of water
  • marca_june
    marca_june Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have been on a 1200 calorie diet for quite a while. I would lose a little, gain a little and didn't understand what was going on. It did finally make me actually think, MFP recommend that I use 1870 calories a day! Also when I sometimes ate a little less than 1200, a note would pop up telling me I was not eating enough that my body would go into starvation mode. I thought less was better. So this week I have upped my intake to 1400 to 1500 calories. I am anxious to find out how I have done when I weigh in on Wednesday!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    HOly crap no....:noway:

I couldn't survive on that...today I am barely surviving on my 1600 and will probably go up to 1700 depending on this evening.
  • GemW27
    GemW27 Posts: 41
    Options
    P.s. forgot to mention I'm 5'2"
    FML hate being small!
  • LadyWeaselofVT
    LadyWeaselofVT Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Mine was calculated to be 1240 and it's a struggle for me. I've tried redistributing the calories over the course of the day and refining my diet and those changes are positive but I still go over by 100-200 calories some days.