Gave birth almost three weeks ago and only lost 10lbs!?

Options

Replies

• Lmans77
    Lmans77 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I actually have an oversupply of breastmilk and have been donating to the local milk bank. I would certainly not be trying to lose weight if nursing was even an issue. The fact is I am unable to wear maternity clothing that I wore the week I gave birth. I have a three year old son that deserves to leave the house, and I can't care for him properly if I can't get dressed or function. This is not me being vain. We also don't have the money for me to go out and buy new clothing. I was simply asking for advice because I have not even lost the weight of the baby+placenta+other fluids, not really asking to be berated for perceived vanity.

Question about your oversupply: are you pumping? If so, and you're not needing to pump to store milk for emergencies or going back to work, I would stop pumping. Hand express just enough to relieve the pressure if you're feeling uncomfortable, and otherwise don't pump. Let the baby dictate your supply. The more milk you pump/express, the more milk you will continue to make.

Another thing you can do to help with your oversupply is change your nursing pattern. Make sure the baby drains the breast well before moving him to the other side. Or, have each session be on one side only, without switching (hand express if the other breast gets uncomfortably full). Doing this will ensure that he gets the good fatty hindmilk instead of filling up on the watery foremilk. Foremilk is great, but it can cause digestive problems for him if he's not getting that hindmilk.

Yes, this. Are you a SAHM. Do you plan to EBF? If so, no need to pump unless you are just that uncomfortable. I never could hand express, but if I did pump to relieve engorgement, it was only just enough to relieve the pressure.
  • Miska_
    Miska_ Posts: 84
    Options
    Are you serious?

Being pregnant now, I am nothing of losing weight nor would I be when the baby is here and I'm breast feeding.

You should be eating your normal amount of calories + 300 extra for breast feeding.

So if you usually eat 1500 calories, then eat 1800. If you work out and burn 200 of those calories, eat 2000 total.

Be sure you keep taking your prenatal vitamins as well, it's all about nutrition for the baby.

Weightloss will come, for now, enjoy the life you have created and being a mom :)

Good luck!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Holy crap woman! Losing weight should be the LAST thing on your mind right now. Take care of your baby and go get some rest. And for God's sake EAT more!!! You are breastfeeding. Health of your baby is priority, not your vanity.

^ This
  • minibandit
    Options
    I am not judging - really I'm not.

You have just had a baby - you are exclusively breastfeeding and I am sure you are up night and day and also have another one to look after.

What a way to put pressure on yourself that you don't need!

Really - and this is from the heart - don't diet just yet. Or track calories. I'm not suggesting you binge either or live off MacD's - my advice..? Just get good nutrition in for the benefit of you and baby, walk gently and increase slowly. Nourish yourself and don't give a single thought about weight loss for right now. You can attend to that later.

So long as you are sensible - so long as you feed yourself and therefore baby well - there really should be no major problems or weight gain. You will slowly and naturally slim down as your womb returns, as your breasts settle, as the water retention shifts - it will all come together..

Second babies do take longer to get back in to shape. If you are worried about swelling by all means get advice - I'm assuming you are not excessively bleeding which could point to retention of placenta?

Good luck with this and please, don't worry about the weight - if it's a clothing issue see your doc but, don't 'diet' or limit right now - slow and sensible does it.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Weight? Height? Do you weigh ALL your food (digital food scale)? Open your diary and maybe we could help, but as everyone said you definitely need to be eating more.
  • sktcporter
    Options
    Congrats on your baby! I read on Wikipedia (always a great source, right?) that when breastfeeding fat mobilization of fat stored during pregnancy increases substantially from 3-6 months, probably has something to do with nature trying to make sure baby won't starve. If you don't eat enough for both your needs and the breast milk, it will go to the breast milk, and you may not receive adequate nutrition. My only evidence of this is that a Doctor had to warn a relative that the baby was leaching minerals out of her bones because she didn't eat enough. Yikes!

Good luck!
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    If you are really concerned about your weight and don't seem to know why you are retaining as much as you say you are ... why not ask you doctor?
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Holy crap woman! Losing weight should be the LAST thing on your mind right now. Take care of your baby and go get some rest. And for God's sake EAT more!!! You are breastfeeding. Health of your baby is priority, not your vanity.

This. This was my first thought as well. :noway:
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    you think it's bad that you ONLY lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks? I had a baby in November 2011 and GAINED 10 pounds after having him.. It took me from March of 2012 to May of 2013 to drop 100 lbs.

Relax. your body will even out in time. Not every pregnancy is the same, nor is your body able to react the same way after every birth. Baby comes first.
  • s1rens0ng
    s1rens0ng Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Its only been 3 weeks? at least give yourself 6 weeks to recover and heal from the birth then as advised re eating more calories and pregnancy/nursing care vitamins. (i had 4 babies within 5 years and breast fed, i was back in uk size 10 within a few months)

You can eat as much as you like, breast feeding will suck that tummy and muscles back in place in no time and congratulations on baby x
  • OrionMama
    OrionMama Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes, Just pumping to take the edge off engorgement. We started block feeding yesterday, but I wanted to give it a few weeks to ensure I had a healthy supply. However, just pumping to relieve the pain/ preventing plugged ducts resulted in about 10 oz a day (MOOO) for the last two weeks, and since I am a SAHM I don't need to store it...thus resulting in donation milk.

Part of the clothing problem is boobs, but part is my hips and legs...I have no idea how that happened? Maybe during birth? I'm a tad swollen in the hands, but not really feet or ankles anymore.
  • 10BlueDoves
    10BlueDoves Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would go to the Dr for a check up, and stop eating such a restrictive diet. I had a serious issue of swelling and oversupply AFTER my first pregnancy. My blood pressure and everything was perfect through the entire pregnancy, but then it shot through the roof after I gave birth. I was miserable and swollen every where. I have no idea if the over supply was related to it at all, but that was also a serious problem as I was basically turning into Old Faithful every time I tried to nurse, I had to pump a bit first. Please, see you doctor and stop worrying about calories.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I would go to the Dr for a check up, and stop eating such a restrictive diet. I had a serious issue of swelling and oversupply AFTER my first pregnancy. My blood pressure and everything was perfect through the entire pregnancy, but then it shot through the roof after I gave birth. I was miserable and swollen every where. I have no idea if the over supply was related to it at all, but that was also a serious problem as I was basically turning into Old Faithful every time I tried to nurse, I had to pump a bit first. Please, see you doctor and stop worrying about calories.

^^OP agree with this. Best to go see your doctor. Swelling after pregnancy does not sound normal.
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You should eat more...regular TDEE plus 300/400 for nursing (500-cut), or your body will store that fat honey! Add me if you want, I'm going through the same thing.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be redundant and say what I'm guessing everyone else has already said- EAT.

Don't worry about weight loss right now. Focus on your baby, on getting as much sleep as you can, and taking care of yourself as best you can. And that includes eating and drinking plenty of water. Eat well, eat healthy, but eat.

There might be a whole host of factors at play regarding your lack of weight loss. You're likely holding on to water weight, particularly if you're not drinking enough water, and/or eating a lot of high-sodium foods. Lack of sleep can hinder weight loss. Stress can inhibit weight loss.

What's the best way to combat those things? Eat well, drink lots of water, and don't worry about the scale.
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I actually have an oversupply of breastmilk and have been donating to the local milk bank. I would certainly not be trying to lose weight if nursing was even an issue. The fact is I am unable to wear maternity clothing that I wore the week I gave birth. I have a three year old son that deserves to leave the house, and I can't care for him properly if I can't get dressed or function. This is not me being vain. We also don't have the money for me to go out and buy new clothing. I was simply asking for advice because I have not even lost the weight of the baby+placenta+other fluids, not really asking to be berated for perceived vanity.

If you have oversupply and are donating, you are probably burning much more than 500 extra a day. Seriously, eat a lot more and the weight will come off.

I burned 2300 calories just taking care of my family today. add another 500 for nursing and that's 2800.
    So in order to lose weight I cut a small amount (about 200) and it should come off. Do it.

It's always hard to say for sure, but I would start at TDEE+500 for a few weeks, then add or subtract 100-200 depending on if you see the scale move.

Also, you should really give your body two months before you push it. Our bodies are much smarter than we are, and they will do what they need to in order to survive.
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Oh honey I so know how you feel. I was in your shoes two years ago. I had PPD and I will blame my feelings of hopelessness on that. Yes even weight got me down.

You are retaining water....it is simple as that. With my first child gained 30 pounds lost all of it in two weeks. Second child gained 48 pounds and it took me 4 months lose it. I didn't start till 5 weeks Postpartum and drinking water helped but I would say it took 9 weeks after the first initial 5 weeks before I could say I wasn't retaining water anymore. I had two pairs of black elastic waisted pants that I wore those and big sweatshirts of my husbands (slippers as well....it took me a good 9 weeks before I could wear my shoes). My kids went to the park and the occasional trip to the grocery store. Unfortunately they had to suffer for about 3 months post partum before I could leave the house with them (mostly due to PPD but clothing was a problem as well).

If you feel hopeless, want to cry all the time, and worry about crazy stuff you might have the baby blues. Give your mind and body time to heal. Good luck girl!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Losing weight should not be your priority right now. Your baby isn't even a month old.

Worry more about your milk supply right now.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would think you need to be eating at least 1800 cals. Probably even 2000. Your little one is only 3 weeks old. You are his/her sole source of nourishment. Do not deprive yourself for the sake of your child and your own sanity! I wouldn't worry about losing weight at all until I went for the 6 weeks check-up. And I'd talk to my OB about it then.

Enjoy your baby!
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    After you have a baby you have extra crazy. It leaks out in weird ways, and in the first couple of weeks when your body feels like an ill fitting suit it's easy to focus on weight loss, but remember, that's the extra crazy building up. Think I'm wrong? Go try on new clothes and see if any of it feels right.

Get used to the new baby, get used to the new body, and try and get food and sleep.