Help I'm hungry all the time

Options
124»

Replies

• Angelrica
    Angelrica Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I was having the same problem, eating chips and stuff. I asked my best friend who is a nutritionist. She said to snack on Veggies, such as snow peas (Fresh) carrots, cucumbers, etc. Make sure they are ready cut, and visible in your fridge. I did this for about 2 weeks, still doing it. I lost 8 lbs. I do eat protein, and Fruits mainly berries. Oh and I drink at least a gallon of water daily. I hope this helps. :)
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    hi jen. I find that juicing is better to fill you up and last for longer and you can add not only fruit but veg as well give it a try and see if it works for you
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    1200 and it never seems to be enough. I used to be fine with 1200 I am not very active as I have a lot going on, work full time, school, and mother/wife leaves very little me to get sweaty time.... I did however take a plunge back in. Iam not going down without a fight. I am starting walking in the am before work for an hour, and eating better, veggies/meats......snacks consist of yogurt and more veggies... I have had a diet diary on here before but fell off am hoping to be more dedicated and I am finally, sick of being the you're so pretty if only you'd lose some weight girl....:smile:

1200 isn't enough for most people. Please check out this calculator - and don't pick desk job, with that busy a life you're moving more than you think your are - and don't net below your BMR (that's what you need to live if you didn't get out of bed and it's probably way more than 1200):

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Don't be surprised by the number. I maintain on 2600/day. Best of luck.
  • beth4dieting3
    beth4dieting3 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind your monthly cycle could be affecting your eating habits. I know the week before my period, I would eat my arm if I had pepper! I don't know about your stomach shrinking but I do know as I control my eating more, it gets easier not to over-eat. Also, don't put yourself at 1200 calories if you struggle with this. Up it to 1500 - 1800, which should still be less than what you eating now if you eat all the time. Stay strong - you can do this!! Beth
  • lovesraspberries
    lovesraspberries Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was having the exact same problem, so I went searching for the reason for me. I can't say for sure what the reason is for you, but I've been using Dr. Christopher's Lower Bowel Formula for a few weeks, because the company says that gently cleaning out the intestines will increase nutrient absorption and decrease the amount of food the body needs to feel satiated. (which we know is true) I wanted to test that claim, because everything I've ever used from Dr. Christopher's has done exactly what the bottle says it does. I can report that Lower Bowel Formula is just as wonderful as it sounds. I'm having absolutely no problem staying WAY under my calorie goals everyday, and my weight loss has increased now that I've been taking it regularly for about 2 weeks. Just wanted to share, because we're all on the same journey, and I'd sure want someone to tell me about it! :)
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Do you tend to crave carbs and sweets in particular? And if you don't eat them (i.e. maintain your willpower) do you find yourself fatigued despite meeting what is a good calorie goal for you?

If so, you may want to look into being tested for insulin resistance. It's a process where your cells are resistant to insulin so they won't let the blood glucose in. As a result, your pancreas pumps you full of more insulin -- which triggers a hunger response because your body thinks you have low blood sugar (when you don't) and results in either eating more and gaining weight (as a higher proportion of glucose ends up stored in adipose tissue) or your fight the cravings and feel fatigued, cranky, etc.

I had a very similar experience for years and thought it was all will-power, then a doctor tested my glucose and insulin levels and they were in the pre-diabetic range (and I was only 30 lbs or so overweight)! Once I got the insulin resistance under control and my thyroid (I also had thyroid issues which likely caused the insulin resistance), my hunger cravings subsided, it was soooo much easier to eat well accordingly and I finally started to lose like a "normal" person.

They estimate the prevalence of insulin resistance to affect as many as 80 million Americans or 25% of the American population -- you see it with a host of other issues (thyroid, PCOS, diabetes, etc.). If this sounds like you, it may be worth checking out as they're simple blood tests.
  • michelleneli
    michelleneli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Bump:wink:
  • WillowThorn
    WillowThorn Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What worked for me when I started was when I would get hungry I'd chew on a stick or two of gum. The act of chewing and the slight flavor tricks the brain I think. I try to save that for when nothing else works (first I'll drink water, then I'll wait 10 minutes for my stomach to feel full - sometimes just not thinking about it gets rid of that hunger feeling) since I don't want to chew too much. A couple weeks later, now that I'm used to eating less, I almost never reach for the gum.
  • Strongandhealthy1234
    Options
    Eggs, yogurt, chicken salami, grilled chicken, fish fill me up and suppress appetite. Also bigger breakfast helps me feel satisfied throughout the day. Coffee and tea in the evenings. Staying busy also helps me because I used to eat when bored.

I find 1200 cals makes me feel dizzy and want to just lie down because of no energy. 1500 I feel much better. My maintenance is 1800 for 126 pounds and I feel energetic and happy.
  • licorice_tea
    licorice_tea Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I totally had this problem. From what ive seen in various documentaries from doctors and scientists there is no solution to this although once you start maintaining instead of losing it should fade.

Your eating less to try to convince your body to consume itself for energy....it doesn't like doing that, especially if you are a woman it wants to keep all the fat in case you get pregnant. So instead your body tries to convince you to consume more food through various chemical means.

My solution for myself was to prepare filling low calorie meals to get me through it like vegetable soups or spaghetti squash casserole, shirataki noodle stir fry etc etc.

This is the conclusion I've come to. I echo the shirataki noodle recommendation!

Edit to add, I've tried all of the following with no real effect on hunger:

- Making sure I eat 1g of protein per pound of body weight, with at least some protein at every meal. (Still do)
    - Eat mainly whole foods, with the majority being meat and vegetables. I rarely eat grain or grain-derived products now, because they're all trigger foods for me. I rarely eat fruit, but that's mainly because I forget to buy it.
    - Exercising a lot. I currently burn 600-800 calories a day from a daily cycling commute of 20 miles and then additional daily activity here and there.
    - Taking multivitamins, trying the "if you crave this you must want that" solutions. No, I just really want all my trigger foods all the time (bread, pasta, grains). Some studies show that if you enter caloric deficit you are more predisposed toward craving carbs, though, so I suppose this makes sense.
    - Drinking water. Drinking a lot of water can help me withstand hunger for longer to make it to the next meal, but dehydration is not the cause of my hunger.
    - Upping calories to an almost negligible deficit (e.g. TDEE - 250 calories, for someone whose TDEE is around 2300-2500).

Anyway, when you think about it, if you are eating below TDEE, why wouldn't you be hungry? Our bodies aren't dumb. We've evolved to be hungry when we are eating less than we burn. Our bodies inherently recognize when we have an unsustainable daily calorie consumption. No way around it, I feel. The hunger can just be more or less terrible -- indeed my hunger would be a lot worse if I only tried to get all my calories from cookies.

Still, fighting a primal urge is really hard, and some days it just really sucks.

Edited again to add that this may all be because I am a normal BMI (just above middle of the range, trying to get lower in the range, which from your picture I'm guessing might also be true?). I would totally buy that my body thinks I have a great set point of 140-145, but hey, my body is dumb about these things seeing as it makes me hungry for more than it needs.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Can't say much without viewing your diary - how much is too much protein? I go over all the time - protein works for me and keeps me full.

edit - I just noticed the 1200 comment - that's pretty low - do you exercise and eat back any of those cals?
  • mailroomclerk
    Options
    Break up your meals so you can eat every few hours. It keeps the fire burning without smothering it (boosts metabolism). Your body uses energy to break down the food which gives you that warm feeling, it's a natural thermogenic.

If you're curious about thermogenics ("fat burners") you may want to take a look at them because most are used as appetite suppressants. They are pretty powerful but they work. Hydroxycut is an example of one, just make sure you are eating the calories that MFP suggests.
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    1200 and it never seems to be enough. I used to be fine with 1200 I am not very active as I have a lot going on, work full time, school, and mother/wife leaves very little me to get sweaty time.... I did however take a plunge back in. Iam not going down without a fight. I am starting walking in the am before work for an hour, and eating better, veggies/meats......snacks consist of yogurt and more veggies... I have had a diet diary on here before but fell off am hoping to be more dedicated and I am finally, sick of being the you're so pretty if only you'd lose some weight girl....:smile:

1200 Is too low. Most likely below your BMR (basal metabolic rate), the amount of calories your body needs a day if it slept 24 hours. You should be eating above BMR but below your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). I would suggest upping your calories. You're hungry all the time because you're starving yourself!

TOO LOW! Not very active? You most certainly are, my dear. Work full time, go to school, wife and mother. Girl you are not getting enough food. Period.

Please restart your food diary and work out your numbers as others here have mentioned. My guess is you should be around 1400 and you'd still lose weight.

By the way...You. Are. Gorgeous.
  • caljsco
    caljsco Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    working on my car works
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    thank you I will I am willing to try anything, It's not a matter of i'm eating all the wrong things, I just can't find that right combination without being hungry, I eat a ton of veggies all day and just seems not full even after dinner with a protein.

eat more than 1 protein. chicken 4-5 oz, oatmeal have a cup add your own sliced fruit or a few tablespoons of peanut butter, have a few eggs (the whole egg not just whites)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    The percentage of calories your body needs has much much more to do with maintaining your body temperature and operating your major organs than it does with how "active" you are. If you are alive you are burning at least 1200 calories.

Personally my BMR (basal metabolic rate) is about 1800 and that is if I stayed in bed 24 hours. Getting up, moving around and then going for a jog for 30 minutes will probably only burn off an extra 600 calories. The majority of your calorie usage is just your body maintaining itself.

I'm not discounting the benefits of exercise but do understand that unless you are running marathons your daily calorie expenditure comes much more from just being alive and breathing than it does from how "active" you are.
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert! I am just a hungry person!!

I think making sure you eat enough calories truly does help. Don't just pick a random number. Fool around with the settings, how much weight you want to lose etc. I am 5'4", 156, want to lose 15 to 20 pounds, but at a slow rate of .5 pound a week. I put my setting on light activity because I walk and stand around a lot during every day.

My calories on mfp, come out to be about 1350. At first it has been really hard, but tracking what works does help! nuts, protein, greek yogurt, lots of water/tea, bananas etc. Then it does come down to will power to break my very bad habit of snacking!

Good luck!!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Hey Connie-

I think the MFP calculator gives you just the number of calories you'd have to consume to reach your goal if you didn't exercise at all. If it tells you 1350 and you go for a run and burn something like 400 calories that means on that day you would want to eat 1750 calories to stick with your goal.

At least that is my understanding of the MFP system calculator.