Quick question about oranges.

Options
I have a quick question about oranges on which I have not been able to find the answer . When I'm inputting it, do I weigh it with our without the peel? I've been doing it with the peel for right now to be safe, but I've never been sure.

Edit: Question resolved. Thanks y'all! :-)

Replies

• amandadesch
    amandadesch Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Why are you weighing your oranges? Just input it as the type of orange it is in your meal, and choose small, medium and large.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Why are you weighing your oranges? Just input it as the type of orange it is in your meal, and choose small, medium and large.

Ignore this.

Weigh without the peel. Only the part you eat.
  • NightWriteMermaid
    Options

Because weighing is the most accurate way to know how many calories I am consuming. Thanks for the input though.
  • NightWriteMermaid
    Options

Ignore this.

Weigh without the peel. Only the part you eat.

Thanks so much! :-)
  • bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Weigh it without the peel (unless you are eating the peel). You want to log the amount that you eat.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Nooooooo. Weigh what you eat - so without the peel.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I peel it and cut out the wedges - why would I want to account for the peel in my portion? I don't eat the peel - it's more accurate. You hull and clean your strawberries before you weigh it don't you? Using the entries for things like whole apples and oranges based on the size isn't accurate.
  • NightWriteMermaid
    Options
    Great point you guys. And thanks for the reminder on strawberries, knra_grl; I hadn't been doing that. You guys rock.
  • oSummerRaeo
    oSummerRaeo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    ... :huh: people actually weigh individual fruits like oranges? do you do this for bananas too?
  • amandadesch
    Options
    Apparently people do. This is absolutely bizarre to me and not logical if you want to maintain weight for the rest of your life. But what do I know, I have never "dieted."
  • DaniettaF
    DaniettaF Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    ... :huh: people actually weigh individual fruits like oranges? do you do this for bananas too?

They do. Yes it's accurate. But damn it's boring.
  • amandadesch
    Options
    If that is the case, then you aren't consuming the peel so then don't weigh it.
  • oSummerRaeo
    Options
    Apparently people do. This is absolutely bizarre to me and not logical if you want to maintain weight for the rest of your life. But what do I know, I have never "dieted."
    I just figured you would just add small, medium or large like you said. This is literally the first time I've heard about this! Hah...Maybe we're the backward ones?

I don't know why the OP even asked the original Q tho...unless they eat the peel :laugh:
  • oSummerRaeo
    Options

They do. Yes it's accurate. But damn it's boring.
    Yeah I'm not doing that lol weigh enough as it is, plus I only tend to eat separate fruits like nanas, apples, oranges etc. on the go with no access to scales. Interesting to see what other people do though!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I just figured you would just add small, medium or large like you said. This is literally the first time I've heard about this! Hah...Maybe we're the backward ones?

I don't know why the OP even asked the original Q tho...unless they eat the peel :laugh:

Bananas have peels and yes weigh them - if you are trying to lose weight you need to be accurate with your calories and logging - I have seen so many posts of people not losing weight - the majority of the time it is due to inaccurate food logging due to not weighing and measuring your foods properly - bits of calories throughout the day can add up to many if you "wing it"
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    For those people protesting weighing things, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Or even better yet, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • oSummerRaeo
    Options
    if you're meant to weigh bananas then why does MFP provide generic calories for small, medium and large and so on? the calorie difference will be negligible between your super duper accurate weight and the average weight for a small banana.

no one got fat off incorrectly logging bananas :laugh: and it's not done my weight loss any harm
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I agree....weigh without the peel...just like I weigh avocados without the skin and nut/seed.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    if you're meant to weigh bananas then why does MFP provide generic calories for small, medium and large and so on? the calorie difference will be negligible between your super duper accurate weight and the average weight for a small banana.

no one got fat off incorrectly logging bananas :laugh: and it's not done my weight loss any harm

You do what you do then. If you ever stall, try weighing things.

For others who want more precise data, we'll continue weighing things.

Thanks for playing.
  • oSummerRaeo
    Options

You do what you do then. If you ever stall, try weighing things.

For others who want more precise data, we'll continue weighing things.

Thanks for playing.
    I didn't say I don't weigh anything, I said I don't see the point in weighing individual fruit when average sizes will give you more or less the same amount of calories. My health goals aren't a game but thanks for the support, you're a peach :flowerforyou: