Choosing goal weight?

Options
124»

Replies

• Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    My 1st goal was to get my BMI below 25 so even though I weighed myself then it didn't feel like my weight registered but the BMI going down was what excited me more.

Once my BMI was below 25 I settled on my 2nd goal and that was to get to 11st (154lbs) but when I got there I fancied going down another 1/2st (7lbs) and that was where I decided I wanted to be 10 1/2st (147lbs) which I felt looked good and meant at 5'6 I was wearing size 10/12 (uk sizes). This weight was defiantly where I wanted to be as I ended up going even lower to 10st 3lbs (143lbs) and my new clothes didn't look so good anymore as they were all to big for me, I even had to get a size 8 jumper after the assistant in the shop said what I had chosen was to big on me. I never thought I'd be eating to gain weight!

I have now settled on a weight bracket to be in rather than a set weight, I like to be between 147-150, my weight fluctuates so as long as I weigh any of those 4 numbers I'm happy, right now I'm at 153 after a gain due to wet weather here in the uk but I'm back to recording my food, I'm happy I'm able to recognise the changes though now and get myself back to my happy weight, I'm actually in control and that feels good.
  • magica_
    magica_ Posts: 7
    Options
    My main goal is to reach 120. I've never been 120 before, so I don't even know how possible it is, but my lowest I have ever actually been was 130 and I felt good but still like I had a few more pounds I wanted to shed, so that's why I chose 120. Now my first and easier goal is to reach 150 because that's where my weight was usually steady until recently.
  • StarFall90
    StarFall90 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I want to lose 200 pounds. My goal weight is 164. Exactly 200 pounds away from my starting point. But I will reevaluate once I near it.
  • FitFunLosAngeles
    FitFunLosAngeles Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I picked my goal weight after trying to be as realistic and healthy as possible. Sure I once weighed 132 as an adult, before I had children, and I weighed that much for about 1 week (my wedding week), when I was a smoker, and when I barely ate anything! So no, I am not going to kill myself trying to get down to that weight -- which is by the way a weight that is close to the upper range of normal BMI!! After considering that the lowest weight I was able to maintain without any sort of extreme effort (but still making an effort) was 160, I set 157 as my goal. At 5'4" that will be classified as "overweight" BMI but hey -- it beats "obese"!
    For me, being able to maintain at a steady 157 pounds would be a success and yet seems attainable to me. Surely I will be a much, much healthier person with 40 pounds less on my body!
    Find your own sweet spot :)
  • Rien5
    Rien5 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Looked at BMI way back and decided I wanted lower range for my height of 5'0. I've been maintaining at 96-98 for over a year so I guess my range is from 95-98.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It's the weight I was when I finished college, my 'ideal weight' according to the National Institute of Health, and the weight I came back to after both my kids.

I started MFP when my weight took a sudden 15 lb spike in a year. My goal was to get back to where I'd been. Once I started logging and saw how doable it was, I set a new goal for 10 pounds less than that. Then I dropped another 10 pounds to where I am now.