Help! LowFat is boggling my mind!

Options
Hey y'all.. This is my first visit to forum! I've been religiously using mfp for 3+ weeks. I've dieted off and on for several years! Low carb was a success first go 'round but of course the pounds came back and the diet seems to no longer work for me after several several attempts!

So? I'm doing my own diet lol! I'm trying to eat healthy, keep my carbs in check but watch my calories! I'm doing good!! I've lost 12 pounds in 3 weeks.

My problem is.. Fat is ruling my pie chart!!! I've been steady staying at 59% fat, 8-9% carbs, and 31-32% protein. Yesterday and today I've cut the fat.. But that has cut my calories so low.. Too low! But I'm sooooooo full and only at 834 calories! I need at least 1200 or so "they" say. Fat was only boosting my calorie count with a tiny volume of food. Like cream, cheese, mayo? None of which was anywhere near a filling serving. Cream in my coffee.. Cheese on my veggies.. Or mayo as a condiment. (Oh and almonds)

Long story short?

How in the world do you cut the fat and make up the calories without the volume??? I refuse to eat flour, sugar, pasta, or starchy veggies! They cripple me lol!

Is near 60% fat ok???? Doesn't sound ok!! I'm doubling the recommendations of mfp!!

Replies

• neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    My chart is largely carbs. Carbs and fat are both necessary for your diet and will be more sustainable in the long run. As long as you are within your calorie goal, eating nutritious food, and eating enough protein, then you should be okay. :drinker:

Edit to add: open your food diary so we could take a look. That would help.
  • SeahorseDolphin
    Options
    If you gravitate more towards fat and protein why not just keep you diet the way it is? Do what works for you. It sounds like you have naturally fallen into a ketogenic diet. As with any diet there are pros and cons. But if you've been eating 8% carbs already and haven't noticed a significant drop in energy levels then it may be perfect to just stay where you are. Just manually change your goals and stick to what works for you.
  • jaimedeline77
    jaimedeline77 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I opened my diary.

It's hard to undo low carb lol! I have stayed in ketosis the entire time.

I learned on low carb good vs bad carbs.. I'm not even trying now but I'm under 20 carbs every dang day!
    I thought low carb might be failing because of my calorie count. So I'm watching it! I've introduced veggies back into my diet on bigger level. But I can't help but notice... I'm stuffed!!! And without the fat my calories are suffering!!

I hate eating when I'm not hungry but I'm having to do it a lot to get close to the calories? I'm just confused! Lol
  • jaimedeline77
    Options
    It's like I eat the fat and make the calorie quota..

Or cut the fat and fall a few hundred under quota??

What's best? lol either way? I'm stuffed!!!
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    What carbs are you willing to eat? A couple bananas, an apple, a grapefruit and a large salad could give you 500 calories not counting the dressing.
  • jaimedeline77
    Options
    I think I'm getting carbs from veggies, berries, cream, and cheese. And some here and there with seasoning!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    viewing your diary you are eating too little period - don't worry about your fats too much - fat from healthy foods is okay - I don't even watch my fat intake and I am never over - stay away from fried foods basically

I like protein and aim for a bit over to be honest - my carbs are very seldom over and neither are my fats

You should be trying to get as close to your daily goal as possible - you seem to be consistently 400-600 less than your daily goal. If MFP calculated your calorie goal for you it is already set at a deficit.

1200 is the minimum anyone should eat and that is not what your calories are set at.

Edit - After viewing your entire 3 weeks I am correcting myself - you are consistently between 500-900 below your daily goal - this is neither healthy nor sustainable. Please read some of the forums and the information that you should have read when you started. Your first day was the best day out of all 3 weeks and you were still under by 358 calories.
  • jaimedeline77
    Options
    My journal is crazy because of exercise! My goal is 1200 calories! Yesterday and today I've cut some fat and have fallen far from 1200!

I was meeting that goal or very close before!

Volume wise and choice wise.. I'm picking great foods and am sooooo full! It would be impossible to eat more! Lol and I'm a gal with an appetite of a truck driver!!! I can eat! But these veggies are super filling!! Lol
  • knra_grl
    Options
    My journal is crazy because of exercise! My goal is 1200 calories! Yesterday and today I've cut some fat and have fallen far from 1200!

I was meeting that goal or very close before!

Volume wise and choice wise.. I'm picking great foods and am sooooo full! It would be impossible to eat more! Lol and I'm a gal with an appetite of a truck driver!!! I can eat! But these veggies are super filling!! Lol

You should be eating back some of the exercise calories - if you can't do it by volume then add the cheese, peanut butter, nuts or whatever else you need to in order to get your cals up - so if you are getting 500-600 in exercise added to your goal eat back at least 150-400 on top of your 1200.
  • jaimedeline77
    Options
    Seriously? I'm frustrated! Lol it's like if I ate 3 tbsp of mayo everyday everyone would marvel at my excellent calorie count Lol!

So what's worse? Eating the mayo or coming in short on my calories!??
  • suejoker
    suejoker Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hey! What if you kept half your fat and moved half of it over to carbs? I struggle with keeping my fat 30ish% or lower. I love cheese and nuts. It sounds like you just cut all of your fat and now you're not eating enough. Actually, if I had lost 12 lbs in 3 weeks eating the way you did, I'd just leave it alone. You're doing great! Please, don't starve yourself instead of eating the "correct" macros.
  • knra_grl
    Options
    Seriously? I'm frustrated! Lol it's like if I ate 3 tbsp of mayo everyday everyone would marvel at my excellent calorie count Lol!

So what's worse? Eating the mayo or coming in short on my calories!??

I wouldn't do mayo - eat REAL food - have a glass of 2% milk - eat an ounce of cheese - have a tblsp of peanut butter on a couple crackers
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    You need to learn that carbs are not bad for you and won't halt your weight loss if you are in a deficit. (when you add them back in initially you will gain water weight) Weight loss is never linear. If you persist with LC, then yes you will need higher fat. It sounds like it worked in the past and then you went back to eating whatever (at a surplus) and therefore gained weight. If I was looking for a long term solution, I'd look into flexible dieting so that you don't have to deprive yourself for the rest of your life.
  • knra_grl
    Options
    Hey! What if you kept half your fat and moved half of it over to carbs? I struggle with keeping my fat 30ish% or lower. I love cheese and nuts. It sounds like you just cut all of your fat and now you're not eating enough. Actually, if I had lost 12 lbs in 3 weeks eating the way you did, I'd just leave it alone. You're doing great! Please, don't starve yourself instead of eating the "correct" macros.

If you look at her diary she has been below 1200 calories since Feb 23rd with the exception of one or two days - this is not good.
  • jaimedeline77
    Options
    Now option number 3... Give up some exercise?

Does anyone see the irony in this???

I'm not being smart? Or rude.. I just don't get this...

It's ok to eat more fat.. It's ok to exercise less... Just make that calorie quota by any means necessary?

Can anyone make this make sense?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Your calorie goal should take priority. Then macros. Then micros.

There's no problem with dietary fat if you're eating at a deficit. That said, you could add more protein and more calorie dense veggies, like potatoes/sweet potatoes.

Sorry, that's all I've got-- the rest of the foods I'd suggest would break your rules.
  • jaimedeline77
    Options
    This is what I'm trying to do. But... I have to watch certain carbs mentioned above! But no way on earth can I eat 50 carbs worth of veggies.. It's just impossible volume wise.

You need to learn that carbs are not bad for you and won't halt your weight loss if you are in a deficit. (when you add them back in initially you will gain water weight) Weight loss is never linear. If you persist with LC, then yes you will need higher fat. It sounds like it worked in the past and then you went back to eating whatever (at a surplus) and therefore gained weight. If I was looking for a long term solution, I'd look into flexible dieting so that you don't have to deprive yourself for the rest of your life.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

And this.
  • toolzz
    toolzz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    what are you doing to burn that many calories in exercise?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    This is what I'm trying to do. But... I have to watch certain carbs mentioned above! But no way on earth can I eat 50 carbs worth of veggies.. It's just impossible volume wise.

Okay but why are you restricting things like bread/pasta? Do you have an intolerance or food allergy?