Help! LowFat is boggling my mind!

Options

Replies

• jaimedeline77
    jaimedeline77 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You can have pasta on a low carb diet as long as it is whole wheat pasta. The whole idea that pasta is bad for you comes from "white" processed carb like white bread and pasta, white sugar. Try just eliminating white foods that are carb and adding in your whole wheat at least a couple of times a week. I got a big jump in weight loss when I eliminated white out of my diet. Since then it has ben pretty steady at 1-2 pounds a week. I also try to stay at least at 1000-1200 net calories daily even though I am eating almost 1700 calories. There is no way I can eat another bite at the end of my day. I am exercising 40-45 minutes daily but do not plan on giving that up no how no way.

I think I'm going to have to take a day at the market and read labels all over again! I did that when I started low carb my very first time. And when I did I had low carb in mind... Never calories, fat, protein!

That might be the best thing I can do! Thank you for telling me about wheat pasta! It's one I had written off in my low carb thinking!

Gotta pry that door open and re learn :) I can do that!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I never really learned the good from the bad on carbs.. Just numbers really.

There are no "good" and "bad" carbs.
  • jaimedeline77
    Options
    You can have pasta on a low carb diet as long as it is whole wheat pasta. The whole idea that pasta is bad for you comes from "white" processed carb like white bread and pasta, white sugar. Try just eliminating white foods that are carb and adding in your whole wheat at least a couple of times a week. I got a big jump in weight loss when I eliminated white out of my diet. Since then it has ben pretty steady at 1-2 pounds a week. I also try to stay at least at 1000-1200 net calories daily even though I am eating almost 1700 calories. There is no way I can eat another bite at the end of my day. I am exercising 40-45 minutes daily but do not plan on giving that up no how no way.

Quite frankly... You just gave me a big key lol! Thank you! That's probably the best thing I can do right now! Reread labels with all I've learned in mind.. Thank you!!!!
  • jaimedeline77
    Options
    Yes.. The sweet potato and French bread are equal lol! Good day hon!

No thanks to you I'm feeling very optimistic with something to work on and a direction!

Thank you anyway :). I'm sorry I cannot allow you to break my stride!

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm happy you have all the answers. You obviously have no use for the advice and guidance of people who have accomplished what you want to accomplish.

Good luck.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

No thanks to you I'm feeling very optimistic with something to work on and a direction!

Carbs are carbs ... they aren't good or bad.

The foods you get them from may be more or less nutritionally dense. I'm sure that's what you mean. A lot of people here like to argue semantics (myself included, I'm sure! :tongue:)

Anyway, good, nutrient dense sources of carbs are fruits (any and all of them), sweet potatoes, beets, and other sweet vegetables (all veggies have carbs, but some are much lower than others) and whole grains. We eat whole wheat bread and whole wheat pasta, brown rice (although that's more for taste preference), and even home made whole wheat waffles here. (One great way to enjoy the waffles is with cheese, rather than syrup, but I also feel like 100% pure maple syrup is worth the carbs).

You can go low to moderate carb if you want. You can go low to moderate fat if you want. But it's going to be very hard to do both at once while meeting your body's caloric needs.

I hope you can see past the semantics debates and understand the good information people are trying to give you :flowerforyou:

good luck
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    You want to be low carb. Cool, be low carb, but understand that being low carb means being high in protein and fat.

Don't want to be high in fat? Also cool, be low fat is that's what floats your boat, bu if that's the case you need to realize that means being higher in protein and carbs.

You can't be low in all the things. Pick one, go forth, eat some food.

I call shennanigans, this is way too much like sense.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    But it doesn't take a brain surgeon to know that low carb isn't very healthy.

What are you talking about? It was via high fat/low carb that I actually started to eat far more nutritious, plant based food than I ever did prior. So healthy was I that I've not had such much as a cold since I started low carbing and upping my nutrition over 10 years ago, even though I haven't been strictly low carb that entire time. I no longer am dedicated to it, but the way of eating fits me so well that my diet naturally now is made up at least 70% of meat, vegetables, fats, and fruit. Low carbing helped me finally gain control and cravings over all high carb foods except sweets, which took additional work.

If it's not healthy, it's because you aren't making it healthy. And trying to go "low fat" won't make you healthy either if your choices still suck.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

No...the sweet potato and the French bread...are not equal. While I can appreciate the sweet potato...I absolutely love the French bread...with some garlic butter...or a little pesto smeared on top...cheese melted on it...
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat does not deserve it's reputation for satiation. Some satiating foods are high in fat, but the fat does not have good satiation economy.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Just so I have this clear in my head, OP.

You came here asking for help.

People offered you informed opinions and help. People express a concern about your attitude to food and low calorie intake.

You tell them "y'all just haters and you're not gonna break my stride".

So what did we learn here?
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Just so I have this clear in my head, OP.

You came here asking for help.

People offered you informed opinions and help. People express a concern about your attitude to food and low calorie intake.

You tell them "y'all just haters and you're not gonna break my stride".

So what did we learn here?

We didn't learn anything. We just reaffirmed a well known fact on MFP. That fact is that most of the OPs looking for "help" are just seeking out an echo chamber.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    You couldn't be more wrong and you are being very assuming. But perhaps this is your way of helping. So thank you!

I was on low carb, was successful.

No, you weren't. You were not successful. You were the opposite of successful. You failed in your "low carb" attempt because you gained all the weight back.

Until you accept that "low carb" totally failed you will be hard-pressed to take any significant step forward.

You are still doing low carb. You are doing very, very low carb to the point of not being able to consume enough calories and developing an irrational fear of healthy foods like fruits.
    Now? I'm one week to attacking carbs! I don't want bread, pasta, or starchy veggies.. Because it's realistic for me. These are filling things and easy things... I will surely give up my new habits for what's easy! They are good favorites too that won't be gone forever.

Not sure what this means. So what if it's easy? It doesn't need to be hard. Why make it harder than it has to be?

You need to learn to eat foods you actually like. If you continue this highly restrictive eating mode, refusing to eat foods you actually like, then eventually your willpower will give in and you will fall back into old eating habits. You need to learn to eat food you enjoy in a healthy, moderated way. Being deathly afraid of a banana or piece of bread for the rest of your life is not sustainable.

What is he assuming? That you did low carb abd gained all the weight back that you'd lost because you ate "junk" which could mean a flipping banana or apple or anything WITH CARBS.

Heavy restriction doesn't teach moderation, which is how a lot (if not most) people are successful long term.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all.. This is my first visit to forum! I've been religiously using mfp for 3+ weeks. I've dieted off and on for several years! Low carb was a success first go 'round but of course the pounds came back and the diet seems to no longer work for me after several several attempts!

So? I'm doing my own diet lol! I'm trying to eat healthy, keep my carbs in check but watch my calories! I'm doing good!! I've lost 12 pounds in 3 weeks.

My problem is.. Fat is ruling my pie chart!!! I've been steady staying at 59% fat, 8-9% carbs, and 31-32% protein. Yesterday and today I've cut the fat.. But that has cut my calories so low.. Too low! But I'm sooooooo full and only at 834 calories! I need at least 1200 or so "they" say. Fat was only boosting my calorie count with a tiny volume of food. Like cream, cheese, mayo? None of which was anywhere near a filling serving. Cream in my coffee.. Cheese on my veggies.. Or mayo as a condiment. (Oh and almonds)

Long story short?

How in the world do you cut the fat and make up the calories without the volume??? I refuse to eat flour, sugar, pasta, or starchy veggies! They cripple me lol!

Is near 60% fat ok???? Doesn't sound ok!! I'm doubling the recommendations of mfp!!

Yeah, those numbers are totally fine. It's important to get a sufficient amount of protein to minimize LBM loss while in a deficit and if you're restricting carbs, the rest will be fat. Your numbers are almost exactly what I eat and it was what my doctor actually recommended to me as I have insulin resistance and so need to restrict carbs to stabilize my insulin response/blood sugars.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Imagine you ate nothing most of the day. Then you ate one gram of fat. Your pie chart would say 100% fat yet you wouldn't have eaten enough fat for the day. While percents help, it's the total that counts and as far as totals go, well, you are under eating on a few days.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Quite frankly... You just gave me a big key lol! Thank you! That's probably the best thing I can do right now! Reread labels with all I've learned in mind.. Thank you!!!!

Except the above, while it might work (food elimination will result in an effective calorie restriction) isn't good advice - this will not lead to long term good habits. Are you going to never eat "white" foods?

There are no bad carbs in a varied and nutrient rich diet.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat does not deserve it's reputation for satiation. Some satiating foods are high in fat, but the fat does not have good satiation economy.

That's how I always feel about protein. Like really? You get full from eating meat? Huh.

Fat works for me. Protein doesn't. Special snowflakes and such I guess.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Some research based thoughts on carbs (if you have a medical condition like insulin resistance this is going to be different, but in that case I'd recommend following your doctor's advice):

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-science-of-nutrition-is-a-carb-a-carb.html

http://alanaragon.com/glycemic-index
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat a couple tablespoons of peanut butter? Put it on some crackers. Bam, nearly 350-400 calories right there.
  • jaimedeline77
    Options
    I reevaluated. Basically? I started out this diet 3 weeks ago with perhaps low carbs isn't working because I'm making the wrong carb choices, not paying any attention to calories, not exercising, & not drinking water. I was using my carbs on LC tortillas or LC bread. The rest is pretty self explaining!

So? Trying to change I invested my carbs into veggies instead, bought a treadmill, and started drinking water. The results have been pretty good and. I was keeping my calories right at tat 1200 mark. Because I started measuring and logging things.. I couldn't help but notice my fat was large! So I thought.. Wow this would be great if I could trim that down. Then I fell way below my calorie quota! So I came here and questioned what to do! I don't start upping carbs til Monday so I was like omg what do I do?? Lol

I was just jumping the gun! Trying to tackle fat before carbs! So? I'm keeping the fat and letting it just be. Hopefully as I re-introduce carbs the percentages will start moving closer to where I'd like them to be. If not??? Maybe I'll come back again and be like HELP??? Lol

Last night I had 2oz of almonds as suggested and even a cup of coffee. I went over my 1200 calories but now I know with the exercise that's ok.

So today is a new day and I'm going to be just fine!

It felt attacking and ugly and judging but? I got the answer I came for! I think my problem was merely trying to do the impossible with good intentions.

Total calories is more important than watching fat.. Better to get calories from fat tan not at all? But holy moly I wish I'd had gotten that answer without being made to feel horrible. I'm making so many strides to better myself and learn. I'm taking crash course to learn what I lack. And I felt smacked down for being some freak. Was very odd!

Thank you for the help.. I think Lol! Hopefully I won't be back :):heart: