Confession: I'm a slow runner

I love to run, it makes me feel better, and it's the only sport that I've ever selected to do on my own, stuck with, and really enjoyed (other than dance when I was younger... but there's always been the argument that dance isn't really considered a sport and more of an art... but I digress).

I'm slow, and by slow I mean I average around 10:30 a mile and the fastest I've ever run was at 9:00 per mile and that was really pushing myself. I do intervals, I do hill repeats, I cross train, I can kickbox like you wouldn't believe and I weight train 2-3x per week. I'm strong, I can squat a decent amount of weight and I can finally do a pull up without help!

My blood pressure and resting heart rate are both at athlete levels. I've completed my first half marathon last year and have completed two tough mudders and a smattering of smaller races.

I know I'm a runner, and I know that it's ok to be slow. And some people just aren't built for speed. I can go long... it just takes a while. I guess my point of this post is to let people know it's ok to be a slow runner. Being slow does not equal being out of shape or a lack of fitness at all.

I've had other runners comment on how I should be running faster than that and I must not be pushing myself... which is not true. I spend enough time rushing around and doing everything at warp speed. My run is my time to just be and check in with myself. And even when I do push the pace, it's still what someone would consider slow, but as long as it's challenging to me and I'm reaping the benefits of it who cares?

Replies

• nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    I don't think that is slow and that is about where I run for pace. There are many faster than me and many slower than me.

I run for me and one one else.

A mile is a mile no matter the pace.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Humm, I would consider that pretty fast actually, but I'm a nice 12 minute miler right now, maybe one day I'll be as fast as you! To each his own, if you are happy thats what matters.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Agreed 100%! I know I'm slow, but all that matters to me is that I'm doing it and that I'm training to the best of MY ability! I am currently teaching my daughter to run and I'm teaching her the same thing :)

Great post OP :flowerforyou:
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    I am right there with you! I have asthma and still enjoy running. I do not run at warp speed, but most runner's cheer each other on for just getting out there in the wind. Thanks for "confessing* !!! :-)
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    My run is my time to just be and check in with myself. And even when I do push the pace, it's still what someone would consider slow, but as long as it's challenging to me and I'm reaping the benefits of it who cares?

THANK YOU for this.

I'm not a runner yet, I'm still walking 3-4 miles a day. Next week I start C25K for the upteenth time. But I will get there, and I don't think I will be fast (my immediate goal is a 12:00mile). I just wanna be my best. Thanks for putting this in perspective, esp the part about competing against myself and walk/run time being "MY TIME". Honestly, the time I spend walking is the only "me time" I have to be completely alone with my thoughts. Ok, well, I have to share that time with my dog, cuz she needs her run time also, but at least she doesn't pester me with conversation. lol
  • nurssassy
    nurssassy Posts: 71 Member
    You make me laugh I run 12 even 13 depending on how distracted I am. I'm slow, I'm clumsy, but I love to run and I don't care what other people think.
    If you're out there running simply for the joy of running I believe, in my heart that makes you a runner.
    Remember no matter how slow you are you're still lapping the person sitting in front of the TV!
  • Mau_Hutch
    Mau_Hutch Posts: 25 Member
    You're a zen runner!.... Just like my husband who has never seen the point of racing and has many bad things to say about going for a run with 10,000 other people. Good for you for not succumbing to the craziness of trying to always get a new PB.
    Sadly, I am slow too, but would like to get faster.
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    slow and steady wins the race!
  • Solly123
    Solly123 Posts: 162 Member
    How I wish I could be a slow runner..

In my teens I was a sprinter. And a quick one at that. Loved that I could go faster than most. But when I sprinted, I took a deep breath and I was gone like a rocket..

Now, I'm well, well past my teens!! I am trying to get back to running. I want to run 5k's and enjoy them.. Well, its killing me.. I cannot get out of the habit of taking off too fast and being absolutely tired out in less than 10 minutes.

I did one 5k where I managed to lock in behind a lovely lady who paced herself fantastically. I stuck to her like glue and managed the 5k.. But on my own, outdoors, I just find it so so hard to go slow enough to make the distance. On a treadmill, I can do it, purely because it paces me..

So being a slow runner is my goal.. Someday I'll figure out some way of slowing myself down and actually being able to pace myself to run a distance. Not speed!!

I want what you have!! The ability to run slow.. I may beat you over 100 metres, but you'd beat me hands down over 5k.. More than likely, I wouldn't finish!!
  • kbella67
    kbella67 Posts: 37 Member
    Anyone who runs is a runner! You are an amazing athlete from your description. Thanks for posting this as I too know how you feel. I have run 9 halfs, and am training for my 4th Boston Marathon. I never run fast and at points that frustrates me, especially since my husband is a speed demon. It's easy to feel you aren't doing it right if you aren't fast. I get that. But you are right a mile is a mile and if you enjoy it keep doing it!
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Wow you are a lot faster then me!!!! I have just started running and I love it. there are many faster then me but I am faster then anyone sitting on the couch! I run because I proved to myself that I can...Its something I never thought I would be able to do!!! Happy Running
  • GummyBears7779
    GummyBears7779 Posts: 35 Member
    My best mile time is only 8.40, and by that I mean I die after the mile.
    I dont think gravity likes me very much, I prefer to stay in the water :)
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    I would hardly consider a 10:30 mile pace slow. I'd love to be able to do that myself!
  • SteppyRohr
    SteppyRohr Posts: 37 Member
    Thank you for this post! I'm a slow runner, around 11-12 minute mile with my fastest 5K pace being 10 minute mile pace. I also do intervals for longer distances, there is no shame is walking. Like the one gal said, a mile is a mile. It is so hard not to compare yourself with others isn't it!? I often have to remind myself that every person has their own goals and challenges and I revel in the fact that I actually enjoy running (shocking to me still!) and I continue to lace up. Keep on keeping on runners!
  • Mbuhler
    Mbuhler Posts: 115 Member
    It doesn't matter how slow or fast your are, it just matters that you get out there and put one foot in front of the other and enjoy it :bigsmile:
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    So, you do kickboxing, weights, run and have excellent cardiovascular tests!

You are so at the top of the class! How fast you run means diddly squat!

First, you are running warp speed faster than anyone sitting on their sofa. Second, your regime sounds very well rounded and geared towards total fitness. Applause!!!

For what it is worth, I say, keep on doing what you are doing. Speed is relative and unless you give yourself a race time goal? Not at all important! The important thing is to get moving and keep moving.

If you do decide one day to set a speed/time goal. My limited experience with running has shown me that improvement in speed takes a long time. I am just now starting to break the 6min/K time over 10k for my average. I've been working at this for roughly 14 months. My goal is to run my second marathon in 4hrs or less this coming Sept.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    You're faster than me! I average between 11:00 & 11:30/mile and was thrilled last night when I ran 4 miles @ 10:45. My goal pace for my half marathon in a few weeks is 12:00/mile.

I would like to be a little faster, but I will never be speedy and don't care. I like how running makes me feel, even at my slow pace!
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Thanks for all the love!! I've been struggling with a little bit of frustration over the last few months, mainly because of a couple experiences. My first half I started with three other runners, we had agreed that we would start together and then just meet up at the finish line. So we did. I was the last to finish, a good 10 minutes slower than all three of them (what frustrated me was one of the girls hadn't even really trained for it, just decided to go run 13.1 miles and I had been training for months) Which finishing last was only mildly frustrating because, hey I finished. But what really made me feel it was when all three of them had all stopped to use the bathroom along the way (there's a line for porta potties) and I hadn't stopped at all.

I've also been left behind when running with a group for training... and I ended up getting lost and having to call my aunt to come pick me up and bring me back to my car, all because I couldn't keep up with the group. Somehow I managed to end up 6 miles away from my car lol.

With both of these experiences I was momentarily broken hearted about it, embarrassed, and even felt like giving up. But then I think about how much I love running and how much I love the atmosphere of races and how awesome it is that in this sport, you are a runner and you are awesome whether you run 6:00 miles or 15:00 miles. And you know what? Thta's worth so much more than a medal or a title.
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    That is not slow! That's a great pace! When I started running I was a 15-17 min/miler! Now I average 10:00-11:00 and I feel that is a great pace (for me!)

Don't worry about what others are running!
  • reammi
    reammi Posts: 70
    Thank you for this post. I've been running a little over 2 years and I'm about to turn 50. I started running and kept adding distance but like you I generally run a 10:30 mile. Somedays are better than others and on a good day I can average a 10 minute mile. However, I don't worry about the time - my goal is to finish and I always finish. I have never run a 5k BUT I did run the Philadelphia Marathon in November and I have run 2 half marathons. For me it's about crossing the finish line. A guy who owns the local running store near where I live finished 12th in the Philadelphia Marathon and he said this to me about running the marathon when I didn't want to tell him my time after hearing he finished 12th - "we ran the same amount of miles - doesn't matter how long it took either of us - the accomphlisment is in finishing" . It took me a while to realize he is right. Each person is on their own journey and who's to say how long that journey should take!!