Confession: I'm a slow runner

Replies

• tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    I love to run, it makes me feel better, and it's the only sport that I've ever selected to do on my own, stuck with, and really enjoyed (other than dance when I was younger... but there's always been the argument that dance isn't really considered a sport and more of an art... but I digress).

I'm slow, and by slow I mean I average around 10:30 a mile and the fastest I've ever run was at 9:00 per mile and that was really pushing myself. I do intervals, I do hill repeats, I cross train, I can kickbox like you wouldn't believe and I weight train 2-3x per week. I'm strong, I can squat a decent amount of weight and I can finally do a pull up without help!

My blood pressure and resting heart rate are both at athlete levels. I've completed my first half marathon last year and have completed two tough mudders and a smattering of smaller races.

I know I'm a runner, and I know that it's ok to be slow. And some people just aren't built for speed. I can go long... it just takes a while. I guess my point of this post is to let people know it's ok to be a slow runner. Being slow does not equal being out of shape or a lack of fitness at all.

I've had other runners comment on how I should be running faster than that and I must not be pushing myself... which is not true. I spend enough time rushing around and doing everything at warp speed. My run is my time to just be and check in with myself. And even when I do push the pace, it's still what someone would consider slow, but as long as it's challenging to me and I'm reaping the benefits of it who cares?

I could have written this exact post!!! Thank you for this!!
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    lol 10:30 is slow?! My new PR last night was 11:33....
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    This is slow??
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Now, I'm well, well past my teens!! I am trying to get back to running. I want to run 5k's and enjoy them.. Well, its killing me.. I cannot get out of the habit of taking off too fast and being absolutely tired out in less than 10 minutes.

If you have a smartphone get some kind of GPS app with audio feedback. I had much the same issues as you, just too quick out of the blocks, my normal cruising pace for 10k distances is pretty much bang on 8 minute miles, but I would routinely find myself doing the first mile in well under 7 and really struggling going into the back end of the run. Since I set Nike+ up to track my runs I check every minute or two early on what exactly my current pace is so I can adjust, and it's made it much easier.
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Scoot over on the slow runners bench. I'm one too. And you know what? I don't really care. When I'm running a race, I'm only racing against myself. Run at whatever pace suits you best, and to those criticizing you? MYOB.
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    I regularly run about the 8:30-9:00 mile pace - but that doesn't make me better than you, or anyone else. And it doesn't make my colleague, who runs around 7 min miles better than me.

Running is not about who is the faster, even in a race (for the majority of people). It's about keeping fit and doing something you enjoy. You run at a pace which suits you, you're comfortable with and that you enjoy - I don't think you can say fairer than that. If you want to go faster, I'm sure you'll find a way, but you don't need to.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    My run is my time to just be and check in with myself. And even when I do push the pace, it's still what someone would consider slow, but as long as it's challenging to me and I'm reaping the benefits of it who cares?

Nobody does (or at least nobody should). If you are getting what you want from it and you're happy with what you're doing then do that. I personally have to see running as a self-competition, because I can't get any satisfaction from just going for a run, I have to be trying to beat something, but that's probably because I really hate running. If you can get out and run just because you want to run, at whatever pace you feel like, and it works for you, then I greatly envy you that and you should keep doing it!
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    I'm not a runner yet, but I hope to be some day. And I'm pretty sure I'll be slow as hell, but I like to keep movie-Gimli's words of wisdom in my head:

"I'm wasted on cross-country! We Dwarves are natural sprinters, very dangerous over short distances."

I'm good with being a dwarf.
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Me too! Just started back on c25k on week 4. I'm really slow. Used to go to run club to do 5k every week and I was always at the very back. Much prefer to run on my own and not feel like I have to try and keep up with everyone else.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Don't compare yourself to others we are all different. I run a similar pace to you. Other people run faster than me but I run further than them and mainly off-road. We're all different the only person to judge yourself against is yourself.
  • NyssaDuck
    NyssaDuck Posts: 50
    I've had other runners comment on how I should be running faster than that and I must not be pushing myself... which is not true. I spend enough time rushing around and doing everything at warp speed. My run is my time to just be and check in with myself. And even when I do push the pace, it's still what someone would consider slow, but as long as it's challenging to me and I'm reaping the benefits of it who cares?

Not everyone can run as fast as the next person, so no one should be saying you should be running faster. There is no reason to run faster, unless that is what you want or can do. Running is a personal thing. It's about what you get out of it and feeling comfortable with it. If you yourself are happy with your pace, then it doesn't matter what pace others run at.

Your pace is pretty good compared to mine. I run from 11-13 minute miles. I sometimes think I would like to be faster, at least get to a 10 minute mile, but I have the thinking now that I don't really care about being a slow runner, I care more about the distance I'm running and being able to run non-stop for said distance. It's all about fitness for me, and I love how I feel during and after a run. That is so much more important, I think.

I've also seen runners who are quite obviously not new runners but they're even slower than me.

So, all that said, high fives for us "slow" runners. :wink:
  • I run for the elusive runner's high. I find that I can get that at any pace. My only struggle is sometimes I want to run the same pace I did when I was 20, which sometimes discourages me but if I run for speed I often miss the enjoyment of it. The best days I have are just running at an enjoyable pace (getting the high) lol and listening to my music.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    I ran 3 mi in 33:11 last night. I was thrilled! LOL Run for you. Don't run to keep up, or to make others happy with your pace. You are doing great! AND, I love running as well and find it to be my time to just let it all go. Last night I pounded out 8 hours of frustration in 30 minutes and felt AWESOME after! Run because you love it :heart:
  • Solly123
    Solly123 Posts: 162 Member
    Now, I'm well, well past my teens!! I am trying to get back to running. I want to run 5k's and enjoy them.. Well, its killing me.. I cannot get out of the habit of taking off too fast and being absolutely tired out in less than 10 minutes.

If you have a smartphone get some kind of GPS app with audio feedback. I had much the same issues as you, just too quick out of the blocks, my normal cruising pace for 10k distances is pretty much bang on 8 minute miles, but I would routinely find myself doing the first mile in well under 7 and really struggling going into the back end of the run. Since I set Nike+ up to track my runs I check every minute or two early on what exactly my current pace is so I can adjust, and it's made it much easier.

See, common sense is worth a fortune!! I have Nike+ on my phone and it tells me when I've ran 1k.. All I need to do is check on my time and I'll know whether I'm too fast or not.. Blushing here.. Why didn't I think of that?

Thank you for that!! I might make it as a runner after all.. And only sprint when I need to ! :)
  • leb01amg
    leb01amg Posts: 4 Member
    You are not slow! Your mile pace is great and you’ll continue to get faster. Now I’m slow. I’m turtle slow, snail slow, earthworm slow, watching paint dry slow. But I’m slow and working which is best for me and my health. Continue to strive and set goals for yourself and what’s best for you. If you run with someone, find a buddy who runs a similar pace or is willing run yours. Most important thing is you are faster than the person sitting on their couch doing nothing.:noway:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Speed is relative. Don't concern yourself with others' opinions on how fast you *should* be. Hell, I run a 1:37 HM and I feel slow because I'm not 1:30. It's all relative. You're doing fine and keep up the good work.
  • TheSwoleMinister
    TheSwoleMinister Posts: 70 Member
    Yup, I've been running pretty consistently for the last 3 years (15mi a week) and I still am normally about 11, 11:30 or so. Was thinking of joining a running club but I'm worried I'd not be able to keep up lol.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    10:30's slow now? A good day is 11, and I can cruise at 13 minutes miles for long, slow runs! I've been running for 17 years :laugh:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I love to run, it makes me feel better, and it's the only sport that I've ever selected to do on my own, stuck with, and really enjoyed (other than dance when I was younger... but there's always been the argument that dance isn't really considered a sport and more of an art... but I digress).

I'm slow, and by slow I mean I average around 10:30 a mile and the fastest I've ever run was at 9:00 per mile and that was really pushing myself. I do intervals, I do hill repeats, I cross train, I can kickbox like you wouldn't believe and I weight train 2-3x per week. I'm strong, I can squat a decent amount of weight and I can finally do a pull up without help!

My blood pressure and resting heart rate are both at athlete levels. I've completed my first half marathon last year and have completed two tough mudders and a smattering of smaller races.

I know I'm a runner, and I know that it's ok to be slow. And some people just aren't built for speed. I can go long... it just takes a while. I guess my point of this post is to let people know it's ok to be a slow runner. Being slow does not equal being out of shape or a lack of fitness at all.

Aren't you cute? My 5k PR was 33:09 (10:40 minute miles).
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Yup, I've been running pretty consistently for the last 3 years (15mi a week) and I still am normally about 11, 11:30 or so. Was thinking of joining a running club but I'm worried I'd not be able to keep up lol.

There will be somebody as slow as you out there. Just be clear on your pace when you join.