Cabbage

Options
wannakimmy
wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
I Just bought a head of cabbage. I was looking for something different as a side dish, or maybe a meal with cabbage. Any ideas out there that are not too time consuming?

Replies

• back2happy2005
    back2happy2005 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    my new favorite is roasted cabbage. I slice the head of cabbage in slices about 1 inch thick. spray a cookie sheet with olive oil spray place the slices on the sheet and spray the top of them with the spray and add salt and pepper. I roast it at 350* - 375* for about 20-30 min. I always wait until the outside edges burn a little because that is my favorite part. it is wonderful I am going to have it tonight with ham.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    http://southernfood.about.com/od/groundbeefrecipes/r/unstuffed-cabbage.htm

I love making this! I use ground turkey instead of beef.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    my new favorite is roasted cabbage. I slice the head of cabbage in slices about 1 inch thick. spray a cookie sheet with olive oil spray place the slices on the sheet and spray the top of them with the spray and add salt and pepper. I roast it at 350* - 375* for about 20-30 min. I always wait until the outside edges burn a little because that is my favorite part. it is wonderful I am going to have it tonight with ham.

Similar to this but with balsamic dressing and crushed garlic. so delicious!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    colcannon
  • back2happy2005
    back2happy2005 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Similar to this but with balsamic dressing and crushed garlic. so delicious!

you have me interested.... Do you drizzle the dressing over the cabbage before you roast it and how do you do the crushed garlic?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be trying this roast cabbage thing. That sounds delicious!
  • Lambja
    Lambja Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    bump
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    German friend taught me this one:

slice up cabbage
    chop some onions and garlic
    cut up some bacon

cook bacon in frying pan (pour off excess oil), add cabbage, garlic, onions and a little cayenne if you like some heat and cook until onions and cabbage are soft.

I love this and find it makes a great side dish. I usually use 1 slice of bacon for each serving, so it isn't really bad for calories and you don't have to add any cooking oil since you are cooking everything in the residual bacon grease.
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I like to shred it in my food processor and do an onion, too. Then I saute them both in coconut oil and add teriyaki (or something similar) at the end. Its good just like that, or you can put it in a wrap with some fresh avocado and hummus. Delicious! You can also add cooked ground beef to the onions/cabbage to make more of a main meal.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I love shredded cabbage in a stir fry. So tasty.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Cut cabbage to amount wanted,simmer in water,maybe a cup or broth till tender.Drain,stir in a cup of milk.Mix a
    Tbl of flour or corn starch with 1/4C milk till smooth. Add to cabbage,stir till it's slightly thickened,3-4 mins.Add S & P.

Another easy dish is to brown 1/2 lb of smoked or other sausage.Drain.Add chunked up cabbage,a sliced onion & a TBL of olive oil. ,along with S&P & a scant Tbl of sugar.Turn heat on low.Use a spatula to stir/turn the cabbage every few minutes.After 15 minutes,add 1/2 C water .Cover & simmer till done,another 10 mins. Add seasoning.
  • healthydoseofglitter
    healthydoseofglitter Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    oh my the balasmic and garlic sounds amazing! ...... I will be picking up cabbage this weekend for sure! :smile:
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Some Homeade soup with Tomatoe and Beef Broth and Hamburger and Garlic and Cabbage-Yum :)
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Unstuffed cabage rolls - YUM!!!

Ingredients:

1 1/2 to 2 pounds lean ground beef or turkey (I used Laura's Lean ground beef)
    1 tablespoon oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 small cabbage, chopped
    2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes check label some are higher in cals)
    1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
    1/2 cup water
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon sea salt

Preparation:

In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef and onion and cook, stirring, until ground beef is no longer pink and onion is tender.
    Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.

Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Stuffed cabbage!!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Wow, some of these recipes sound really yummy! Especially the one with bacon. Going to have to try that one!

We generally chop up the cabbage, add chopped carrots, cauliflower, and whatever other veggies we want, steam it till soft, then stir in crumbled sausage. It's really good with a sausage that has a bit of heat.
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    We chop up cabbage, onions, carrots, etc.. and wrap them in foil with seasoning (my parents use butter) but I just use a bit of olive oil, and toss them on the grill! Its delish.. similiar to this roasted cabbage idea ! :) nom nom nom..
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I had some vegetarian lasagna this past weekend that used cabbage leaves in place of noodles... and mushrooms instead of meat. It also had sliced onion and peppers as well as the usual lasagna stuff... ricotta, mozzarella, marinara, Italian spices. It was AMAZING.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I love cabbage, I just boil it with carrots and salt and have myself a good time. One of my favourite side dishes.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I had some vegetarian lasagna this past weekend that used cabbage leaves in place of noodles... and mushrooms instead of meat. It also had sliced onion and peppers as well as the usual lasagna stuff... ricotta, mozzarella, marinara, Italian spices. It was AMAZING.

That sounds really good. Do you know if the cabbage was cooked before the lasagna was assembled?