Bad ride--almost passed out!/2253 calories burned??

Options
13»

Replies

• jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    I'm glad you are ok. Until the bad part the ride sounded awesome.
    You'll get there, but do it cautiously.

Yay for you.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Hey there,
    Glad you are ok. I rode 10 miles on Sunday in mid 70's but up and down hills ~ first time on hills have been doing the "flats" but was freakishly inspired by the Tour de France..sigh....yip, I looked freakish pushing my bike up the 10 miles hill!!! :flowerforyou:
    Anyhoo, you have my admiration for what you did..............and thank goodness for DH's!! They sure come in handy some times.:laugh:

It is tough figuring out what your body needs and doesn't need. I know that since turning 42, my body has changed dramatically and no longer responds to anything that worked before. So am taking small steps, and trying to figure it all out.

Take care now!

Yeah, the Tour inspired me too! And got me in trouble--have to remind self--"you're not a 25 year old male professional athlete so don't try to ride non-stop with minimum food and support"! :frown:
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    Yes, I average 12.5 mph on my long rides--shorter ones of under 20 miles I can get up to 13-13.5 mph average on those. On today's ride, I averaged 11.8 mph.

You'll probably right. But it just seems so slow! :ohwell:

To give you a perspective:

The slow rides in our bicycle club are 10 - 12 mph. Next group is around 12-13. Then 15. and after that these guys are racers who train for speed.

So.... 12 mph is plenty. Also there is a difference whether you intend to ride 30 miles or 100. With a low milage you can go full out because you know you can always drag your butt home somehow. With a long distance like 60 and more, you have to really restrain yourself and go very very slow. Average milage is no longer important, all that counts is that at the end you have enough energy left to make it.

Maybe you can find other athletes with diabetes who can give you advise. I really hope you get to where you want to be. I am sure that 60 miles is no problem if you do everything right. Because of the diabetes it just takes a while to learn what works and what doesn't. But that is all it is: a learning process.

I'll keep thinking of you. But PLEASE take it easy. The Seagull is in October lady, you have lots and and lots of time to get to your 60 miles! Maybe I should go there anyway and ride the 6 with you to make sure you are OK.
  • shorerider
    Options
    To give you a perspective:

The slow rides in our bicycle club are 10 - 12 mph. Next group is around 12-13. Then 15. and after that these guys are racers who train for speed.

So.... 12 mph is plenty. Also there is a difference whether you intend to ride 30 miles or 100. With a low milage you can go full out because you know you can always drag your butt home somehow. With a long distance like 60 and more, you have to really restrain yourself and go very very slow. Average milage is no longer important, all that counts is that at the end you have enough energy left to make it.

Maybe you can find other athletes with diabetes who can give you advise. I really hope you get to where you want to be. I am sure that 60 miles is no problem if you do everything right. Because of the diabetes it just takes a while to learn what works and what doesn't. But that is all it is: a learning process.

I'll keep thinking of you. But PLEASE take it easy. The Seagull is in October lady, you have lots and and lots of time to get to your 60 miles! Maybe I should go there anyway and ride the 6 with you to make sure you are OK.

I've tried to find Type 2 who do long distance and there doesn't seem to be many on the web--not that I can find anyway. Lots of Type 1 but they can control easier with the insulin than I can.

Anyway, I've come completely off my diabetes meds (doc said ok) in hopes that since I'm still having lows that I can control my levels better with just exercise and food.

I'll be fine--it's just a learning process. And, I have always been one to push myself. I'm my own worse competitor!

Doing the bike leg (15 miles) in a Triathlon on Sept. 27!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    woohoo.gif
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Hey Shore - it's really a matter of experimentation. You'll figure it out!! I'm just so impressed at how you ride. I did less than 5 mins last night and a whopping 10 minutes this a.m. and it almost killed me!!! LOL - you are my hero!!
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken with a sports doctor? As you said, you are not a 25 year old male ( Im 51 - so not calling YOU old - :blushing: ) and you have blood sugar issues. If you are going to exercise at that level and still have weight to lose you should probably get exact water/nutrient advice from an expert!!
  • shorerider
    Options
    Have you spoken with a sports doctor? As you said, you are not a 25 year old male ( Im 51 - so not calling YOU old - :blushing: ) and you have blood sugar issues. If you are going to exercise at that level and still have weight to lose you should probably get exact water/nutrient advice from an expert!!

I work closely with my doc. There are no "sports docs" anywhere near where I live.
  • shorerider
    Options
    Oh, and it's been 3 days with no diabetes meds and 2 days with no lows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My numbers are higher than they were a month or so ago but still well within range--in fact, they are better than they were before I started this journey and was popping 4 diabetes pills a day!

Will have to see how they continue though and just go from that.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Oh, and it's been 3 days with no diabetes meds and 2 days with no lows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My numbers are higher than they were a month or so ago but still well within range--in fact, they are better than they were before I started this journey and was popping 4 diabetes pills a day!

Will have to see how they continue though and just go from that.

That is awesome!!!! Yay Shoreride!!!! :drinker: :drinker:
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    I am really impressed Shore and very glad to see that it works for you. You got your milage up from 0 to ... what? 50? That itself is pretty darn good. Of course not good enough for you. I know. You are not going to be a second Lance Armstrong. Gotta accept that. But you ar doing very well. Even better: you are of your meds! Now THAT is really good news. The rest will come, trust me. Takes longer because you have a lot more to learn and experiment than others. But it will.

In the meantime: it's ok that you try to catch me:happy: , but I'd rather ride the extra miles for you until you safely figured everything out.

Take it easy

Steff
  • p90x_Dude
    p90x_Dude Posts: 332
    Options
    Sounds scary, but you did the right thing by taking the glucose tablets (not sure you needed 4). As I'm sure you know hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia's symptoms are so close your better off, if in doubt, if you treat is as if it were hypoglycemia which would be fatal much quicker. Glad all worked out and you're a beast on the bike, I don't even ride my motorcycle that far in a day anymore. Keep it up and be safe.