IIFYM vs "a calorie is a calorie"

Options

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I don't think people should attribute inherent goals to IIFYM that may vary from person to person.

And if I've taken this out of context, feel free to say so, but these statements came from the same person.
    Of course, I understand there is a big difference between general weight loss and body composition, but I don't think they are mutually exclusive.
    Weight loss and body composition are not two different things.

I guess I don't know why we're comparing two things (IIFYM and Calories is a calorie) that exist on different axes.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    In my experience, I have different results depending on what food sources I turn to. Also, putting weight loss aside, I know my athletic performance and my overall health improves when I get my calories from cleaner sources. I wouldn't give a crap if I lost 10lbs eating chocolate, at the end of the day I would feel like **** all the time.

Calories are not equal. Anyone who says they are doesn't practice what they preach. I would love to see a couple of the guys on here who don't agree with this logic eat the same amount of calories from burgers, chips, ice cream etc and report back to me. People like to say a calorie is a calorie but then they wouldn't dare try out the theory.

Exactly.

I eat more calories than this site or any other site recommends I eat and I am losing weight without doing any exercise at the moment.

The QUALITY of the foods we eat trumps the QUANTITY of some arbitrary number of calories.

So what happens if you eat whatever you consider high quality foods but in a surplus?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    In my experience, I have different results depending on what food sources I turn to. Also, putting weight loss aside, I know my athletic performance and my overall health improves when I get my calories from cleaner sources. I wouldn't give a crap if I lost 10lbs eating chocolate, at the end of the day I would feel like **** all the time.

Calories are not equal. Anyone who says they are doesn't practice what they preach. I would love to see a couple of the guys on here who don't agree with this logic eat the same amount of calories from burgers, chips, ice cream etc and report back to me. People like to say a calorie is a calorie but then they wouldn't dare try out the theory.

The differed between consuming your calories in avocado instead of chips is the micronutrients. The calories are the same. Your body uses the calories the same. It's only part of a balanced diet.

Not quite sure that's true. There are more simple carbs in chips, so I would assume you would lose a great number of the calories from the simple carbs post digestion (and therefore they will not be used by the body for energy)?

The stomach generally is much more efficient at digesting the calories from protein and fat. More bang for your buck with those macros.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    On the surface, these two concepts appear to be in direct opposition to one another. One says that it is important to have your nutrition coming from specific places. The other appears to say "Eat whatever you want as long as you don't go over on calories". Of course, I understand there is a big difference between general weight loss and body composition, but I don't think they are mutually exclusive. I have some opinions on the subject (which I will reserve, at least for now), but I was wanting to open the topic up for general discussion. I know both topics have been beat to death on the forums, but I rarely see them being compared to one another. For the record, this post was inspired by an MFP friend who just posted that she finally understands that IIFYM is more than just meeting a daily calorie goal and it got me thinking.

I haven't read all the other responses, but I will just say that IIFYM is not eating whatever the hell you want as long as you hit macro targets and not going over calories.

Flexible Dieting(IIFYM) means that you get most of your diet from whole, nutritious foods. If you've hit your protein and fat targets, throw fiber in there too if you want, and have calories to spare, then you can have some discretionary foods to fill out the rest. That will usually come out to be about 10-15% of your overall daily intake for most people.
    I don't see anything about whole, nutritious foods in IIFYM. I have a separate goal to eat 5 servings of fruits/vegetables a day in addition to IIFYM, but that's not part of IIFYM, and I don't even think most of my diet is "whole, nutritious foods." That sounds suspiciously like "clean eating" to me.

47080680.jpg
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Eh...

A calorie is not a calorie. The metabolic pathways for calories from fructose, glucose, and ethanol (alcohol) are different. You will store more fat from 100 calories from fructose than you will 100 calories from glucose. If you are on a cut, you will lose more weight if you eliminate fructose and alcohol from your diet than if you didn't, even keeping the same calories. Protein also doesn't follow "a calorie is a calorie". 30% of the calories you ingest from protein is burned off from simply digesting it. meaning less calories hit the liver for the kreb cycle, which means less fat storage.

However, 100 calories from a fructose free brownie, and 100 calories from a salad are comparable. So in this instance a clean calorie is the same as a junk food calorie.

So I follow my macros for health, and generally follow a calorie is a calorie for weight loss/maintenance. The only exception being the elimination of most fructose from my diet.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    The stomach generally is much more efficient at digesting the calories from protein and fat. More bang for your buck with those macros.
    Nope.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermic_effect_of_food

More energy is required to digest and absorb protein than is required for carbs.
  • EvanKeel
    Options

The differed between consuming your calories in avocado instead of chips is the micronutrients. The calories are the same. Your body uses the calories the same. It's only part of a balanced diet.

Not quite sure that's true. There are more simple carbs in chips, so I would assume you would lose a great number of the calories from the simple carbs post digestion (and therefore they will not be used by the body for energy)?

Not going to touch issues of efficiency or bio availability, but I suspect there may be a difference in EFAs between avocados and chips. It does seem like an apples to oranges comparison.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    It's funny how in these discussions, the "calories are the only thing that matter" people always neglect the calories out part of the equation and assume that what you eat has no impact on caloric expenditure.

Your metabolism plays a big part in the caloric equation and the types of food you eat and exercise you do have a big impact on your caloric expenditure.

Those who think calories in are the only thing that matter are in for a surprise when their metabolism slows down and their weight loss stalls (assuming they just eat junk and make them fit their calories) . They have no energy, and as soon as they give up (not losing weight and hungry all the time, you're bound to give up) and start listening to their body the weight piles right back on. Generally if you're feeling hungry, your body is telling you that you should be eating.

By focusing on eating the right macros and higher quality foods, you're body will stay satiated and your body will expend more calories.

Here's a pretty good article that is somewhat relevant:
    http://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/a-calorie-is-sometimes-not-a-calorie
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Not going to touch issues of efficiency or bio availability, but I suspect there may be a difference in EFAs between avocados and chips. It does seem like an apples to oranges comparison.

No it's just a not all calories do the same thing comment.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    On the surface, these two concepts appear to be in direct opposition to one another. One says that it is important to have your nutrition coming from specific places. The other appears to say "Eat whatever you want as long as you don't go over on calories". Of course, I understand there is a big difference between general weight loss and body composition, but I don't think they are mutually exclusive. I have some opinions on the subject (which I will reserve, at least for now), but I was wanting to open the topic up for general discussion. I know both topics have been beat to death on the forums, but I rarely see them being compared to one another. For the record, this post was inspired by an MFP friend who just posted that she finally understands that IIFYM is more than just meeting a daily calorie goal and it got me thinking.

I haven't read all the other responses, but I will just say that IIFYM is not eating whatever the hell you want as long as you hit macro targets and not going over calories.

Flexible Dieting(IIFYM) means that you get most of your diet from whole, nutritious foods. If you've hit your protein and fat targets, throw fiber in there too if you want, and have calories to spare, then you can have some discretionary foods to fill out the rest. That will usually come out to be about 10-15% of your overall daily intake for most people.
    I don't see anything about whole, nutritious foods in IIFYM. I have a separate goal to eat 5 servings of fruits/vegetables a day in addition to IIFYM, but that's not part of IIFYM, and I don't even think most of my diet is "whole, nutritious foods." That sounds suspiciously like "clean eating" to me.

47080680.jpg

"Whole foods", which generally refer to grains, are healthier. It has considerably more fiber and micro nutrients. But in the end, the calories are generally the same.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

47080680.jpg

"Whole foods", which generally refer to grains, are healthier. It has considerably more fiber and micro nutrients. But in the end, the calories are generally the same.

:noway:
  • EvanKeel
    Options

No it's just a not all calories do the same thing comment.

I suppose that would depend on the scope of conversation. I would tend to agree that I have a better workout if I watch the timing of different nutrients relative to my exercise. But at the end of the day, if I have a net loss and I'm mobilizing fat stores, then I'm still losing; the difference is whether or not I have a miserable workout.

EDIT: I won't discount that different macros have different TEFs, I just think the difference is relatively minor compared to controlling my deficit through monitoring my intake.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

47080680.jpg

HUH!?

ETA: How about we change "whole, nutritious" to "nutrient dense"? Would that work for you?

How dare I use words that would be misunderstood to be "clean" since there is no true definition of "clean" eating.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I think you will find that most people who really believe in IIFYM also really believe that a calorie is a calorie and that these are not really two separate theories but, rather, two parts of an overarching theory.

Calories are no more a theory than evolution is.

The only reason they aren't laws is because of very vocal naysayers who have their own agenda, whose beliefs are threatened by ending debate on the "theory".
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

I m confused by your comparison, because if you eat according to IIFYM a calorie is still a calorie. No matter how you eat for weight loss; dirty, clean, vegetarian, vegan, primal, paleo or East Cashubian modiefied caveman, or IIFYM, a calorie ( as a measurement of energy ) is always a calorie.

As I understand it, IIFYM relies on your calories coming from a specific combination (ratio) of protein, fat and carbs, which implies that the body will treat these types of calories differently.

OK....but a calorie is still a calorie no matter how the body treats it....
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I m confused by your comparison, because if you eat according to IIFYM a calorie is still a calorie. No matter how you eat for weight loss; dirty, clean, vegetarian, vegan, primal, paleo or East Cashubian modiefied caveman, or IIFYM, a calorie ( as a measurement of energy ) is always a calorie.

As I understand it, IIFYM relies on your calories coming from a specific combination (ratio) of protein, fat and carbs, which implies that the body will treat these types of calories differently.

OK....but a calorie is still a calorie no matter how the body treats it....

Agreed - but only until you eat it. Lol:smile:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I agree- the topic title made me turn my head and go "huh"

even if you are still doing "a calorie is a calorie" you still have to have a balanced system that works for you- eating all fat calories isn't going to do it for you.
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is generally more concerned with body recomposition or athletic performance. You can fine tune your macronutrients to your goals.

If your goal is simply to see the number on the scale go down, a calorie is just a calorie.

^ Agree.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

I agree- the topic title made me turn my head and go "huh"

even if you are still doing "a calorie is a calorie" you still have to have a balanced system that works for you- eating all fat calories isn't going to do it for you.

Then what exactly do people mean by "a calorie is a calorie (aside from the fact that it is a unit of energy...we all get that)?" And why is there so much hate against things like the Paleo diet using the "calorie is a calorie" argument? Your statement above seems contradictory to me. Instead of saying "a calorie is a calorie", should we be saying "a carbohydrate is a carbohydrate, a protein is a protein, a fat is a fat?"

I guess I am struggling to see weight loss and body composition as two independent things, which appears to be at the core of this discussion.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Huh? Chips are made from potatoes. Potatoes are complex carbs, not simple carbs. Also, more efficient at digesting what? What exactly do you mean by calories "lost?" Where do you think they go?

As far as energy needs go, carbs are actually the most efficient macro, because they break down directly to glucose and are utilized quickly and efficiently by every cell in the human body. Protein and fat would both need to be converted to glucose through gluconeogenesis before they could be utilized as cellular energy, which is a much longer, slower process.