The Challenge Of Being Honest

Options
It's been two weeks since I closed my diary so I could feel comfortable *really* being honest with myself... I think I've gotten a handle on things, and am contemplating reopening it. I'm actually really proud of the past few days in particular, and I feel much more in control and in a better place regarding food. But, every day is a challenge- every day, I'm afraid I'm going to *kitten* up and binge on something. Maybe it's a craving I'm having, or a hunger pang that won't go away (like right now, and I just ate a nice, big healthy salad with plenty of protein and healthy fats, but I still feel hungry)- when it happens I'm nervous that I'm going to lose the battle. I don't want to. I don't want to cave, I don't want to fail again- I know I will pick myself up and get back on the horse, but the mental and emotional bruising from the fall is more difficult than making the next meal or day a good one.

Making my diary private and being brutally honest with my intake was eye opening. And I happened to do it while in the middle of struggling- eating the better part of a bag of pretzel pieces, or a nearly a whole box of girl scout cookies. Doing so at such a low, uncontrolled point was a blessing in disguise, I think, because it forced me to see what I was doing. I think this is the first time in my life that I've really, truly confronted it in such a candid way. Oh, I've recognized that overindulgent snacking is where I stumble, but I've never felt like this about it. I've never felt *so* very out of control, despite otherwise eating well and being active. In the past, I could blame it on not being active enough. I could blame it on my overall diet, or drinking. And perhaps those things were factors, but that hasn't been the case the past couple months.

February was really bad and is what prompted me to do close my diary in the first place- I knew I needed to get a handle on myself. So, the first week of March, I didn't do anything other than faithfully log my intake. I didn't worry about macros or necessarily even trying to keep myself within goal. Just log every morsel I put in my face. As I said- eye opener. Wow. No friggin' wonder I'm not losing weight! The saying "you can't out excercise a bad diet" really hit home there. It didn't matter that I was working out for an hour most days of the week, or eating plenty of vegetables- the snacking unraveled it all. Week two's goal was to not overindulge on anything, and I. really. struggled. I dropped the ball a couple times, but overall, my willpower won out over the urges and cravings... and now we're at week three. And finally I feel in control again. Control feels awesome, but it's tempered by fear. I don't think I'm strong enough yet to ignore that fear. Yet, I wonder if I can make that fear work for me, rather than paralyze me... such a battle.

Thanks to everyone who reads this- I know it's kind of long and perhaps a bit disconbobulated, but I wanted to get it out there. I know there are others on here who deal with the same thing- some have conquered the beast, some are like me, in the midst of battle, and others who perhaps currently feel defeated. I hope sharing this will help those in the last category!

Replies

• PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Perhaps I should have just written this in my blog, where no one would read it. Ah well. :smile:
  • howekaren
    howekaren Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    It's a strange thing, but I also closed my diary for basically that reason. It's not that I wasn't logging everything, exactly, as logging it in ways that "looked" good. I was logging things as afternoon snacks that I had at lunch so that it wouldn't look like I ate so much at lunch. I would not log a late night snack if it meant I was over my calories and someone would see it, even if it was only 50 calories over. I was only harming myself, so I decided to close it after reading someone else with the same sort of problem. Losing weight is such a terribly mental battle all the time, and that's one battle I wanted to avoid. For my own sanity. In reality, the diary is a tool, and I needed to use it as such, and not as a way to boast about my accomplishments for the day.

It sounds crazy, but we have to do whatever it takes. If I don't log and monitor my weight every day, I begin to gain and then I binge because I know I gained, and that starts a bad cycle.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I read it. I wish I had more to offer by way of support, but I think you're doing the right thing. The first step to tackling a problem is to understand it, and it sounds like you are learning about your diet and yourself. Keep at it and good luck!
  • GRUNO
    GRUNO Posts: 98
    Options
    Recognizing that you were out of control and taking steps to get back in control are great. Now you need to work on finding what triggers your binges. Once you find your triggers you can be better prepared to make the binges less frequent and reinforce your ability to get back on track faster.

You may want to try journaling to help you identify your triggers and trigger foods. Then you can design a plan to deal with it. I binge and I'm an emotional eater. I really have gotten so much better but there are still times I slip. You can't really cure yourself of the desire to binge. You have to curb the need to binge by dealing with your triggers in a different way. You also have to commit to getting right back on track the next meal. Do not fall into the trap of thinking I blew it today so I might as well eat what I want and start over tomorrow or next week.

I found this blog post really helpful and insightful, maybe it'll be useful for you.

http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2013/04/12/email-from-a-reader-how-to-avoid-binge-eating/
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies! Support is encouraging- both giving and receiving it. I'm writing down how I feel in the "note" section of my diary- I haven't yet discerned what exactly the triggers are- sometimes it's not eating properly earlier in the day; other times it seems to be just mindlessness, and yet others there seems to be no real reason other than seemingly uncontrollable desire.

I think the most important thing for me is being honest with myself. I haven't figured it all out yet, and I really am so fearful of falling back to that place of absolutely no control- *knowing* I shouldn't but feeling so unable to help myself. I can't actually explain what's in my head when it's happening. Perhaps I should write that down!
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I also recently closed my food diary for similar reasons. I had been logging using a different site for years, but since they didn't have an app that I could use on my phone, I opted to move to MFP. The other site was not in any way a social one. No blogging, no forums, just you-log-it-and-we-create-progress-reports. I succeeded in losing 25 lbs in a year (my goal), but still had 20 to go. When I joined MFP, I was fascinated by the social aspect of it and started accepting friend requests. I was already used to logging everything, and being honest, and noting when I didn't eat what I should of. But when other people started being critical of my choices, I quit logging so faithfully - and gained 10 lbs in a year.

MFP really is superior in regards to food searches (otherwise I'd have moved to yet a different site), so I opted to stick with it but "unfriended" everyone and no longer accept FRs. Now I'm back to logging as I should, without having to worry about other people judging me. Yeah, I know that works for some people, but it just doesn't work for me.

So, use this tool however it works best for you. Good luck!
  • minimalistmom
    Options
    I read it. I wish I had more to offer by way of support, but I think you're doing the right thing. The first step to tackling a problem is to understand it, and it sounds like you are learning about your diet and yourself. Keep at it and good luck!

This guy said it best.

You have to do what works best for you. If keeping it closed is what is working for you, keep it that way. There is no sense opening it if you are going to feel overwhelmed like you are going to fail.

Keep moving forward. You will get there. Good luck!

I like his definition of an optimist: Optimist: someone who figures taking a step backward after taking a step forward is not a disaster, it's more like a cha-cha
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I read it, and understand it completely. However, it's the very reason I keep mine open. It's public, actually (so my endocrinologist can view it)

No one else cares what I put in my pie hole. The only person it's going to affect is me, so whether I have my diary open or closed, whether I log something or don't, it's still going to show up on ME. I can't hide anything from my body.

That said, do what you feel comfortable with. If you're sticking closer to your macros with having it closed, then keep it closed. If you're wanting accountability from people who view your diary, then do so. Just don't let anyone else tell you what you should or shouldn't do. There's not one person here who is following the exact same plan as anyone else. We gotta do what works for us, and us alone!
  • GRUNO
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies! Support is encouraging- both giving and receiving it. I'm writing down how I feel in the "note" section of my diary- I haven't yet discerned what exactly the triggers are- sometimes it's not eating properly earlier in the day; other times it seems to be just mindlessness, and yet others there seems to be no real reason other than seemingly uncontrollable desire.

I think the most important thing for me is being honest with myself. I haven't figured it all out yet, and I really am so fearful of falling back to that place of absolutely no control- *knowing* I shouldn't but feeling so unable to help myself. I can't actually explain what's in my head when it's happening. Perhaps I should write that down!

It takes a while to really get in touch with why you feel the urge to binge eat. For me it's not so much feeling bad or feeling good. My issue is more one of not wanting to really feel any emotions good or bad. So, I try to keep myself in a state of numbness. Eating to the point of excess allows me to avoid processing my feelings or really thinking about anything other than food. I know you feel like it's mindless and a compulsion solely related to food's taste or texture. I'm also sure you're starting to learn that it's often not about the food at all. It does get better and you can train yourself out of these habits. Use your fear to develop a plan for how to avoid binges and how to quickly get back on track. If you have a plan in place you won't feel so lost and hopeless when a binge happens. And they will happen. Hopefully, you can get to a place where they aren't frequent and don't last long. Good luck to you!
  • csontos
    csontos Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I keep my private for same reason. I can be 100% brutally honest with myself and nobody will judge me for it.
  • pancakemix16
    pancakemix16 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I used to keep mine open and felt as if I had to keep certain foods out of my diary when I was emotionally eating. I now have it closed and can be honest with myself and see my habits than adjust them. You need to do whats best for you.
  • rustyroof
    rustyroof Posts: 76
    Options
    I never thought of this before I read your post, I just viewed my own diary and I know I've doctor'd it so it looks better than it should. So I've closed it off and re done today. 250cals more than I should be. I'm going to keep at this for a while and see if my weight loss if better.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I lied when my diary was open.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a pretty intense struggle with yourself. I have the problem in regards to my motivation and will power. I was part of a competition and the monetary reward was enough to keep me driven. Now that the competition is over, I have only my gains so far and distant goals to move me along. It is for that reason that my profile is public to anyone and most of all, the people on my FL. The struggle against myself is sometimes overwhelming as I am battling a lifetime of bad habits, much like yourself, but when the yoke is too heavy, others will come along and help me carry it. It is social media and digital motivation, but the such that provides enough illusion of support for it to be meaningful to me. I have never heard the voices of my MFP friends, or seen them do anything to help me tangibly, but knowing that there is a group of people holding me accountable and seeing their comments or critiques of my meal choices, helps me immensely. Do what works, and best of luck.
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    I'm currently fighting the same thing. It's good to know I'm not alone. Thank you for posting this.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options

You might want to look into the theory of 'ego depletion' - there has been research indicating that willpower is an exhaustible resource, and that there are several factors (mood is one of them) that run down the amount you have to trade on at any moment. You might find it enlightening.

The New York Times had an interesting article about it here: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/21/magazine/do-you-suffer-from-decision-fatigue.html?pagewanted=all
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I find this interesting...

Not to diminish the struggle but why lie about what you eat??? esp to strangers who have no care really on if you eat in a deficet or not????

Family and friends can see if you are in a deficet and most can't see your diary.

I have mine open, it will remain open to all...
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I've always thought that being honest is the most important part of weight loss. Without it, sometimes people don't even realize they need to lose weight or how much. I struggled with being honest until I realized I was only hurting my own efforts. And now when I see people posting topics about how they're eating 1200 calories and still not losing, the first thing I assume is that they aren't being honest with their intake or their output.

I never closed my diary because I know myself and I know I'd be more likely to go over. My open diary motivates me to eat well but I can definitely understand how easy it would be to change little things so your log looked good. I still go over sometimes but I just log it and own it and eat well the next day.

I think that if an open diary motivates you to eat well, then it's healthy. But if it motivates you to be dishonest then it's not very useful. Good for you for realizing this!
  • GRUNO
    Options

Not to diminish the struggle but why lie about what you eat??? esp to strangers who have no care really on if you eat in a deficet or not????

Family and friends can see if you are in a deficet and most can't see your diary.

For a lot of binge eaters, you hide the fact that you binge from others. You eat in secret or replace the new bag of chips you just ate with another new bag before anyone notices you ate the whole thing. It's just one of the features of binge eating. It's also a method of avoidance. You don't want to face it yourself and you sure as hell don't want anyone else to know how out of control you are.
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

For me it was those strangers who were most critical. I decided that since I didn't really know these people - and they didn't know me - I didn't really need their "advice." So, it's closed. It's for my use only anyway, so doesn't need to be open.

Again, I know that for some people, having it open is the motivator. But clearly, for some of us, it is not helpful.