Whats the difference between running and jogging

Options

Replies

• elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Also - who ever 'jogs' for the bus? No one. They run. Even if it's for 30 seconds.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I would say that in running circles the difference between running and jogging is intent and perceived exertion. You can still be either a 'runner' or a 'jogger' at the same pace, dependent on whether it's an appropriate level of exertion for the type of run you are doing.

For example, a gentle 12 minute mile for three miles while barely raising your heart rate is jogging. That same 12 minute mile for three miles, if it raises your heart rate and breathing to the point that you can only just hold a conversation, is a tempo run. You are running, regardless of how your pace stacks up against other runners.

The difference is that the former will maintain a low base level of fitness, burn a few a extra calories and maybe make you feel a little better about your activity levels without really taxing yourself - but you won't get significantly better at it. The latter will increase your cardiovascular fitness and if you continue to train your pace will gradually increase.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    As you can see from the 2 pages that exist now there are as many different definitions of jogging and running as there are stars in the sky. It is personal to the person doing the activity. I think it's great some people consider 4mph walking. At 5'4", 40 years old and 11 months of being an ex-smoker, 4mph IS running for me.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    I love that this thread is 2 pages long and no one has thrown the grenade yet. Ask this question on any dedicated running forum and you'll get a very specific answer within the first three responses. Followed of course, by 27 pages of hostility over that answer.

My answer: It's an effort thing. Running is a determined, mindful act where you are genuinely pushing yourself. Jogging is what I would do on a "recovery run" back when I ran religiously.

The grenade, and again, it is so common a thing among certain running communities that I am shocked no one has said it yet....

Jogging: Anything slower than 10:00 per mile.
    Running: Anything faster than 10:00 per mile.

There is probably some truth to that in so far as for the vast majority of runners, 10:00 per mile and faster requires mindful effort. Paying attention to breathing and form etc. Anything under that you can do while talking on the phone.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I love that this thread is 2 pages long and no one has thrown the grenade yet. Ask this question on any dedicated running forum and you'll get a very specific answer within the first three responses. Followed of course, by 27 pages of hostility over that answer.

My answer: It's an effort thing. Running is a determined, mindful act where you are genuinely pushing yourself. Jogging is what I would do on a "recovery run" back when I ran religiously.

The grenade, and again, it is so common a thing among certain running communities that I am shocked no one has said it yet....

There is probably some truth to that in so far as for the vast majority of runners, 10:00 per mile and faster requires mindful effort. Paying attention to breathing and form etc. Anything under that you can do while talking on the phone.

I can see what you are saying about the 10 minute miles. I hear it from several of the running communities I belong to on Facebook. It makes me sad.

I'm a fat chick..I started with C25K and my first 5K took me 55 minutes to finish doing walk/run intervals. that's slower than most people walk. In the past year I've completed the bridge to 10K program and I'm currently doing a half marathon trainer because I have my first half next month. That being said I've only managed to shave 5 minutes off of my mile, and I still have to do walk intervals at times. When I run, I run. There is no shuffle, I push myself, I huff, I puff, I blow my PR's down. I've lost 44lbs and increased my endurance. To be told by a running community that I'm not a runner because I'm not currently breaking a 10 minute mile is discouraging and sad.

Again, not attacking just saying it makes me sad that the competitive runners feel that way. Maybe if they were a little more welcoming those of us pushing ourselves to hit that 10 minute mile would feel more confident about what we are doing. :flowerforyou:

BTW: On a personal note, I am mindful of my breathing and do the research for increasing my performance. I subscribe to the 3 in 2 out..belly breathing so I don't strike on the same foot every exhale...if anyone knows of a better technique I'm down for learning!
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Running = a stride wherein both feet leave the ground at once (versus walking, where one foot is always in contact).

A jog is a slower run. A sprint is a faster run. These are subjective. What's faster or slower for you may not be what is faster or slower for me.

That doesn't matter though: it's all running. Jogging, to me, is a word people use either to self-deprecate ("oh, I wasn't running...it was just a jog") or Serious Important Runners (tm) use to disparage more casual runners.

"It was being a runner that mattered, not how fast or how far I could run. The joy was in the act of running and in the. . . It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." - John Bingham

Actually, there is a difference between sprinting and jogging/running.

Sprinting is performed under anaerobic conditions: you are working so hard you cannot keep up with the oxygen demands of the muscles, and so build up lactic acid.

Running/jogging is aerobic: you supply the muscles sufficient oxygen to prevent lactic acid accumulation.

The actual speed at which these happen is of course dependent on the individual athlete.

A sprint is still a run. A jog is also a run. Nothing in my post suggested that all three exercises involve the same oxygen demands. Also, OP wasn't asking about aerobic/anaerobic conditions or sprints, as you'll recall.

No, I know. I'm just pointing out that there is an objective, measurable difference between sprinting and other forms of running. A fast run is not a sprint if you are not anaerobic. No such distinction can be made between running and jogging.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't have much to say about the definition of running vs jogging. I did want to say to stay the speed you are comefortable with. You will progressively speed up the more you run as you get better at it and build a better fitness level for it. This is a really awesome post someone put together for beginner runners that covers common questions/problems people have

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

Tell your Hubby he got the wrong assignment, his job is to cheer you on!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

I dislike the 10 min mile limit. It's not a bad rule of thumb for people who are already in shape, but it alienates prospective runners who are still building their base fitness. Especially since 'jogging' is often characterized as being inferior.

I prefer the perceived exertion method, myself. Someone out of shape can be running at a 12 minute mile, while a trained athlete can be jogging at an 8 minute mile.

To give a real example - there's a little old dude at my gym, he must be 75 years old, who runs around the track. He runs barely faster than I walk. But dammit if you saw the exertion in his face, you would not call him a jogger. He's a runner, regardless of the pace at which he runs.
  • SgtBA_Diana
    SgtBA_Diana Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I was asking myself this question as well. Many have valid points here that make a lot of sense. However, shorter legs vs longer legs? I'm 5'1 one so my strides are shorter than my BF who's 5'11. Even though I'm fitter than he is, he outdistances me. I can 'run' longer than he can so I'd beat him in a 10K rather than a 5K. Lol. I do think that SaintGiff is on point. Not sure if I'll get under 10:00 per mile but I'll still aim to complete a half marathon in the near future :wink:
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options

Tell your Hubby he got the wrong assignment, his job is to cheer you on!

I was thinking that myself!
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Subjective.

I run.

Though at my running pace, my husband can do a little stutter step and walk next to me. Which is why I love/hate him :noway: :love:

I am slow. Super slow. I know people define it in terms of time, but my effort and time don't match. My fastest race pace juuuuust barely puts me at "running" status. And I want to puke after those races.

But this can turn in to a hot button topic. Call it what you want seriously. I define it for me.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    I can see what you are saying about the 10 minute miles. I hear it from several of the running communities I belong to on Facebook. It makes me sad.

I'm a fat chick..I started with C25K and my first 5K took me 55 minutes to finish doing walk/run intervals. that's slower than most people walk. In the past year I've completed the bridge to 10K program and I'm currently doing a half marathon trainer because I have my first half next month. That being said I've only managed to shave 5 minutes off of my mile, and I still have to do walk intervals at times. When I run, I run. There is no shuffle, I push myself, I huff, I puff, I blow my PR's down. I've lost 44lbs and increased my endurance. To be told by a running community that I'm not a runner because I'm not currently breaking a 10 minute mile is discouraging and sad.

Again, not attacking just saying it makes me sad that the competitive runners feel that way. Maybe if they were a little more welcoming those of us pushing ourselves to hit that 10 minute mile would feel more confident about what we are doing. :flowerforyou:

BTW: On a personal note, I am mindful of my breathing and do the research for increasing my performance. I subscribe to the 3 in 2 out..belly breathing so I don't strike on the same foot every exhale...if anyone knows of a better technique I'm down for learning!

I don't feel attacked at all. In fact, my experience was exactly the same as yours. I'm guessing that most people have that experience. Those beginner programs are outstanding for getting people to fall in love with running. They really are. They are tremendous ambassadors for the sport of running. However, they do build slow runners.

Running has traps just like every other sport. The trap that I fell into was that once I was able to run one mile I wanted to run two! Then I wanted 5k. 10k. OMG I must run a half!!! It's enticing. It is exactly the same as when someone joins a gym with the intent on building muscle and instead gets sucked into the "I need to be able to bench two plates" mindset. Sure, you hit that goal. But in doing so you overlook a lot of other stuff.

For me, personally, I was so very very slow. I worked my way down from a 45 minute 5k ( not one step of walking, that was all running ) down to around 33 minutes. That was as fast as I got the first time, even though my longest runs were close to 20 miles. Then I had an injury and had to take about six months off. During that six months, as I was bemoaning my fate to a friend who is a very fast runner, I received a piece of advice. She said "When you come back, don't come back and do what you did before. Start over and build yourself not just as a runner, but as a fast runner". Never had it occurred to me that my lack of speed was anything other than genetics. Wow was I wrong. I didn't allow myself to get sucked into attaining distance as quickly as possible. Instead, I insisted on attaining distance at pace. It was a slower build, but I got there.

I don't run much these days because I am once again under the spell of the weights. However, I do bang one out every now and then. I am shockingly faster now, older and heavier, than I was when I was running that first time around. I can pretty easily grind out a < 25:00 5k, and with a month or so of dedicated training could probably break 23:00. At 47 years old and > 190lbs that's something I never would have attained had I not gotten injured and started over.

For the record. All of that was my personal experience. It was not a judgement / indictment of you or anyone else. Nor was it in any way a critique of your or anyone else's training program.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize this was so complicated...
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Merriam Webster
    Jog:
    a : to run or ride at a slow trot
    b : to go at a slow, leisurely, or monotonous pace
    Run:
    a : to go faster than a walk; specifically : to go steadily by springing steps so that both feet leave the ground for an instant in each step

The oxford dictionary
    Jog:
    The activity of running at a steady, gentle pace as a form of physical exercise:

ETA: So when you are jogging you are running, just more slowly than if you were sprinting (which is also running). So saying you went running is actually like saying you went swimming without specifying whether you were doing laps (or which stroke) or playing games.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    The treadmills at the Y say thatwalking is 1.0 - 3.9mph, jogging is 4.0 - 5.9mph and running is 6.0mph+. Though, at 5.3 to 5.5mph, I sure feel like I'm running so I consider that pace running for me and 6.0mph is sprinting.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

So, basically, you are saying that a lot of people on "dedicated running forum(s)" are pompous d-bags. Yes?
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Max effort will always win the day in my book. When I started running at 11-12 minute miles and I'm gasping and wheezing my apology to my brother for holding him back (he averages around 7) his comment was simple; if you are giving your all, it doesn't matter how fast I'm moving, but I better be moving as fast as I can. Max effort. No different than the other exercises he does with me. In one minute, I managed to pump out 15 push ups while watching him do over 50. While I disgustedly picked myself up from the floor he said the same thing; it doesn't matter how many I do, as long as I'm pushing as hard as I can.

Back to the question, if you are running, and pushing yourself, and achieving, and progressing, then who cares how fast, call it running. If you are doing anything less, or treating it as recovery, or doing it in supplement to another program, call it something else if you want to. In my opinion, it comes down to effort. Again, speaking personally, that understanding is what pushed me from 11+ down to 9 minute miles. I can still only manage about 3, but I couldn't manage 1 when I started. Running is running when you're working hard, it isn't when your not. Just my humble opinion.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Followed of course, by 27 pages of hostility over that answer.

So, basically, you are saying that a lot of people on "dedicated running forum(s)" are pompous d-bags. Yes?

MFP is usually not close behind
  • stormyxpony
    stormyxpony Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    On the Life Fitness treadmills at my gym it has a button specifically named "jogging" and the speed is 4.0, there is also another button for "running" and the speed is 6.0. I've always went with the idea that speed dictates what is considered a run and what is considered a jog.

same here at my gym.
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Run slow, Run fast. It is all running to me. And agree with some of the comments above... sometimes people would say (back in the day when I first started... super slow)... that I was "just jogging". I found it insulting, but I am a little sensitive. HA!

For me anybody that gets the courage to go out there and put one foot in front of the other.. instead of sitting on the couch.... deserve respect and praise.

Just my two cents! :)