What is the alternative to water

Options

Replies

• stakoc94
    stakoc94 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    When I start to get bored with plain water I'll use some MIO or Crystal Light drops, or make a pitcher in the fridge and throw in some fruit that I have.

I try and limit my water add in's however if I need help getting my water in I don't hesitate to put a few drops of flavor in.
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Coffee.....
    But lately I've been hooked on schweppes diet ginger ale in the evenings.

Calories 0
    Total Fat 0 g 0%
    Sodium 75 mg 3%
    Total Carbohydrates 0 g 0%
    Protein 0 g

And no aspartame and no caffeine to keep me up.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    im not a huge fan of water, but i like drinking it, does that make sense at all?

when exercising i will always have a bottle on hand and can go through 1 - 1.5 litres without thinking.

after exercise or if im just thirsty and feel the need for water the best way is to have it ice cold and just slam it down as fast as you can.

if i want a drink that i can nurse for a while, then i dont usually go for water.
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I say to avoid that squirt squirt mio stuff... unless your body does good with chemicals.
    One glass caused an allergic reaction (body rash).
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    How is water icky...it really doesn't have much 'taste'!! But the more you drink, the more your body will crave it. I very rarely drink anything else now.

Get a pitcher and add: Lemon, mint and water - keep in fridge. Great flavor and very refereshing.

Try the Dasani or Mio flavors for a while.

You get a lot of water through food, but you should still drink about 10 8oz glasses of water per day - more if you've exercised or had a high sodium day!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Water should not have a taste. If yours does you might want to try buying bottled water or getting a water filter system like Brita.

Yeah, I agree with this.
    Our tap water sometimes smells like a swimming pool. If I'm thirsty enough I'll tough through it, but it's not my choice.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    In the early days of U.S. settlers, they drank beer on board ships because the water was unsafe. It could work.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Get into liking water...
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy my water with a lemon in it.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Dehydration. Also Coke Zero.
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    What about herbal teas as a wee change...I like some of the fruity ones and they are caffeine free!

This is what I do! We have some fruity herbal teas like 'Cranberry, Strawberry & Pomegrante' or 'Blackberry' or 'Green tea with Vanilla' - Yum! :drinker:

ETA: I also agree with this poster
    But the more you drink, the more your body will crave it.
    This has been my experience too. I also hate water for the taste (I know, I know), but once I get into the habit of drinking water, I can't get enough! It's the only thing that will quench my thirst.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    a couple of things, a lot of the time when you feel hunger it is actually dehydration, just chug an 8 ounce glass of water and wait 1/2 hour before eating
    Second, though a lot of people are saying drink diet sodas or seltzer I'd avoid them as a mian means of hydration, they all contain sodium in a large enough qty to defeat the purpose of drinking water. An alternative would be a no sodium sparkling water like San Benedetto with some lemon or lime (or other fruit juice in a small quantity)
    You will find over time your palate changes and you will crave water
    Teas and Coffee count as well, though I'd limit them a bit as too much caffeine is a whole other problem
  • HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I'm tripping on green tea since MFP. Like two litres tripping :tongue:
  • purplemurfy
    purplemurfy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    No real alternative. No one said you had to like it.....LOL. You should do it because it's what your body needs. You get yourself into a habit and eventually you'll learn to like it.

Yes, you can have other liquids (in fruit, flavored water, teas, etc.), but water should be your main liquid intake without stuff in it. Try it ice cold, try it room temp....just keep drinking it until your body craves it.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I add cordial (not sure what it's called in other countries, fruit squash?) to all my water. This way, I manage at least 3 litres a day whereas there's no way I'd drink that much plain water. It's not like the water disappears just because I've added flavour.
  • mfoster1019
    mfoster1019 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the only way I drink water is by using the liquid no calorie flavor mixes (like Crystal Light, Mio, or various store brands). I rarely drink plain water. I find I drink WAY more water by flavoring it that way. I'm not a fan of flavoring it with pieces of fruit - just not my thing. I also find when I drink it from a squirt-top style water bottle or from a glass with a straw, it makes me drink a lot more.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I like 0 calories vitamin water.

ick! read your label. fake sugar ewww

I haven't seen a 0 cal one yet. Only 50 cal bottles. It tastes pretty good for an in-between step, to be honest. Fake stuff aside, if you need a stepping stone from soda and such to water, Vitamin Water isn't a terrible way to go. It helped me kick soda. /soapbox
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I used to not drink much water - and the tap water here tasted funny to me. I drank bottled water and added Mio or Crystal light to it at first. Slowly I started adding less - and now, I only add the drops when I want something different. Mostly I drink water (now from the tap even). I also found out that I dont like plain water COLD - I do better with room temp water.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Hey All

I know you're supposed to drink a couple of litres of water each day, but I just don't like water at all. Are the likes of PowerAde zero an actual alternative or are there any others?

Actually, there is no scientific evidence that you need to drink all that water. Food is full of water and all the other beverages count toward your hydration too. Drink something if you are thirsty. I've never paid the slightest bit of attention to water. My health, weight and fitness are just fine.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I generally just dump in a packet or two of whatever fake sugar I have nearby. At my age, my body's mostly held together with preservatives, artificial sweeteners and carcinogens anyhow.