calling all ladies who lift

Options
2»

Replies

• rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Thanks girls. Do you think what I'm currently doing is enough?

You didn't say what lifts or exercises you do, so it's hard to say. As for the weights, heavy is relative to you.

I also do StrongLifts, which consists of 5 lifts over 2 workouts, done 3 days a week. It is a progressive strength building program. When you complete a lift 5x5, you add 5 lbs to it on your next workout (deadlifts, add 10).

Here's a link to a summary of the program over at the SL for women's group, if you're interested. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary. I think it's best to follow a specific program, especially if you're inexperienced.
  • heathereve2102
    heathereve2102 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • LRunda
    LRunda Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting has transformed my body and improved my weight loss significantly.

I've been on this journey for over a year. When I first started I did mostly cardio including zumba, cycling, running with some yoga mixed in. I was just not seeing the results I wanted. Yes, I had lost about 35 lbs, but my weight loss stalled out. So about 4 months ago I decided to incorporate weight lifting into my routine. I've always known weight lifting will help, but I am just not very good at motivating myself to do it. So I found a weight lifting class at my local YMCA. It has transformed my body and life. Not only have I lost more weight and am only 12 pounds from my goal, I've lost inches and gained muscle tone. I feel strong. I feel energetic and I know I will reach my goal. It is only a matter of time.
  • heathereve2102
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm 5ft 3, 145lbs and just start the stronglift 5x5 last week

Currently at the following weight

deadlift - 65lbs
    Row - 65lbs
    Squat - 50lbs
    Bench - 50lbs
    Overhead press - 45lbs

While I struggle to overhead press 45lbs squatting 65 is easy. Is it ok to skip up to say 85lbs for squatting or should I continue with just adding 5lb each session?
  • heathereve2102
    Options
    bump
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    While I struggle to overhead press 45lbs squatting 65 is easy. Is it ok to skip up to say 85lbs for squatting or should I continue with just adding 5lb each session?

Doesn't hurt to try - if you can't do it with good form then back it down to 75
  • heathereve2102
    Options
    thanks for the advice. Will try a couple today and see how it goes.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    New Rules for Lifting for Women has a calculation to determine how many calories you should eat based on your age, weight, height and activity level. Also check out Scooby Home Workouts website, they have calculators that will calculate the number of calories you should eat also, it is also more forgiving than the 1200 calories MFP gives you. Also has lots of information about lifting.

I just bought the New Rules for Lifting for Women! I'm pretty excited to crack it open and read it!
  • mdoyle28
    mdoyle28 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Need to follow this as this is my goal as well and not real sure how to go about it exactly or if what I am doing is right. Lots of great info here:)
  • Iron_Stephanie
    Iron_Stephanie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com has a lot of information. I've been lifting heavy for over a year now. I will never go back to only cardio. Weights are my drug;) just build up your strength and don't worry how much other people lift. Lifting heavy is what is heavy for you. looks like you're doing great:happy:
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Need to follow this as this is my goal as well and not real sure how to go about it exactly or if what I am doing is right. Lots of great info here:)

Try watching this video:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-phase-1.html

I agree bodybuilding has a lot of great FREE information - great for getting started.
  • x_Samtastic
    x_Samtastic Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    How long do you guys lift for? Do you go for a certain amount of time, or until you feel like the particular area you're working is completely exhausted? :smile:
  • aspired2lift
    aspired2lift Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    How long do you guys lift for? Do you go for a certain amount of time, or until you feel like the particular area you're working is completely exhausted? :smile:

The program I follow Stronglifts at first took me 30mins max with rest periods. I started with 60lbs on each lift except Deads which were 90lbs...Workout A now takes me about 75-90mins (3-4mins rests between sets) and workout B takes 60-75mins but it doesn't feel like a long time...

The workout goes likes this alternating these workouts every other day...so one week M/W/F is A/B/A...next week...B/A/B and keep going

Workout A
    Squat 5 sets of 5 reps each
    Bench 5x5 (see above)
    Rows 5x5

Workout B

Squat 5x5
    Overhead Press 5x5
    Deadlifts 1x5 (1 set of 5 reps)
  • xSirensSong
    xSirensSong Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Hello there! I do mainly weight lifting at the gym 6 days a week, with 2/3 days of cardio added; I'm usually there for 90 minutes. I have specific days where I do specific muscle groups & just stay until all of my sets of each exercise are done. I'll show you what I do every day below ~ it's important to take rests in between each set as well, so don't forget about that. When I first started lifting, my friend (& trainer) would always rest for 1-2 minutes in between each set ~ I told him I didn't need to rest & that I wanted to just keep going. He said "If you don't 'need' to rest, then you aren't working hard enough!" Slapped me right back into reality, lol!

Monday – Chest Day
    1. Smith Machine Bench Press: Warm Up; 1 set of 20 reps
    2. Smith Machine Bench Press (RBP); 4 sets of 15 reps
    3. Smith Machine Incline Bench Press (IBP); 4 sets of 15 reps
    4. Smith Machine Decline Bench Press (DBP); 4 sets of 15 reps
    5. Machine Chest Fly (Pec Deck); 4 sets of 15 reps
    6. Incline Dumbbell Flyes; 4 sets of 15 reps

Tuesday – Legs Day
    1. Smith Machine Squat: Warm up; 1 set of 20 reps
    2. Smith Machine Squat; 4 sets of 15 reps
    3. Leg Press; 4 sets of 15 reps
    4. Lying Dumbbell Hamstring Curl; 4 sets of 15 reps.
    5. Adductor/Abductor Machines; 4 sets of 15 reps on each machine.

Wednesday – Arms Day (Biceps/Triceps):
    1. Dumbbell Bicep Curl: Warm Up; 1 set of 20
    2. Dumbbell 2-Arm Triceps Extension: Warm Up; 1 set of 20
    3. Dumbbell Bicep Curl; 4 sets of 15
    4. Dumbell 2-Arm Triceps Extension; 4 sets of 15
    5. Preacher Curl; 4 sets of 15
    6. Seated Triceps Press; 4 sets of 15
    7. Concentration Curls; 4 sets of 15
    8. Lying Barbell Tricepts Extension (“Skullcrusher”); 4 sets of 15
    9. Tricep Dumbbell KickBack; 4 sets of 15
    10. Twenty-Ones; 4 sets

Thursday – Abs Day
    1. Ab Crunch Machine; 4 sets of 15
    2. Lying Ab Sit Up Machine; 4 sets of 15
    3. Seated Oblique Twist Machine; 4 sets of 15
    4. Kettlebell Side Bends; 4 sets of 15 on each side

Friday – Back Day (Shoulders/Lats)
    1. Front Dumbbell Raise; 4 sets of 15, rotation (Rotation = Front Dumbbell Raise (1 set) + Isolateral Plate Loaded Lat Pulldown (1 set) + Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise (1 set); repeat)
    2. Isolateral Plate Loaded Lat Pulldown; 4 sets of 15, rotation
    3. Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise; 4 sets of 15, rotation
    4. Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press; 4 sets of 15
    5. One-Arm Dumbbell Row; 4 sets of 15
    6. Lat Pulldown; 4 sets of 15
    7. Standing Barbell Shoulder Press; 4 sets of 15
    8. Upright Barbell Row; 4 sets of 15
    9. Seated Cable Row; 4 sets of 15

I was terrified at starting all of this stuff, but am so happy that I did & am now getting comfortable with being in a gym. If you have any questions, I will absolutely answer them! Sorry if I bombarded your brain! >_<
  • accendo
    accendo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I can really recommend the stronglifts 5x5 program, it great and uses compound lifts that work your whole body. It has an app that makes it really easy to track your reps and there are a lot of videos around to help you with your form
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I do CrossFit 3x per week and do Wendler 5/3/1 at the gym on front squats, back squats, deadlift, bench, and overhead press. I work on accessory strength moves with those like good mornings, hanging leg raises, lat pull downs, rows, pull ups, dips, etc. I also do Oly practice once or twice per week. Once per week, I do accessory work for looks like bis/tris/obliques and I practice kettlebells about once per week outside of CrossFit. I take one full rest day and one active rest day. Many days I do 2 workouts. I also do yoga 2-3x per week for mobility, swim 1-2x per week and walk on my active recovery day.

I try to eat 130-170 grams of protein per day and at least 50 grams of starchy carbs (banana, sweet potato, rice) before and after hard workouts. I rarely eat flour and I limit sweet treats to special occasions because I am in recovery for Binge Eating Disorder and they are trigger foods for me.

I had been lifting with machines and dumbbells for 10+years but only recently got into barbells and kettlebells in the last 6 months.

My current numbers are as follows:

1) Back squat 210#
    2) Front squat 150#
    3) Overhead press 105#
    4) Bench press 125#
    5) Deadlift--not sure but I estimate about 220# based on recently doing 13 @185 in a CrossFit workout. When I tested a couple months ago, I was at 205 but I tried it after a hard WOD.
    6) Snatch 75#
    7) Clean 120#

I really want to try to get new one rep maxes but I don't have a spotter in my gym, only at CrossFit, and you can't drop weights at my gym so I never really go to failure. I usually lift for 60-90 minutes.
  • jrhanna84
    jrhanna84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am lifting solely to lose weight also. I recommend stronglifts 5x5 because it focuses on only 5 basic moves. I have found since I started lifting the end of September that lower my cardio time to 10 minutes and upping my training time to about 45 minutes (to allow for rest between sets) has given me the most results. I now bench 110 pounds, deadliest 220 pounds, squat 160 pounds (we just started tracking this one) and I'm 20 pounds away from being off of the assisted pull up machine. I've lost almost 10"off my stomach and hips, thrown out my scale (you won't see huge losses lifting but you will see noticeable changes sooner...basically become comfortable with the visual changes on your body and quit being a "slave" to the scale - the number on the scale does NOT define you anyway), I've dropped half a dozen pant sizes, blasted through a lot of body fat (started at 36.6 and as of my last testing session I'm down to 33.4)...I could go on and on.

Eating wise my trainer has me at 1800 calories and I'm dropping weight (slowly but surely) AND making gains on training days. I don't know how much protein you are currently taking in but up that number. It will help with losing pounds and seeing gains.

I train for an hour 4 days a week...legs (Monday & Thursday), arms/chest/back (Tuesday & Friday). Rome wasn't built in a day so just remember that going the lifting route will take a little longer but don't give up. Later in life when you don't develop osteoporosis and are in the best shape of your life you will thank yourself.

Don't fear the iron...make the iron fear you.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Great info just started CLX and after I'm going to do NROL Supercharged I believe.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!