Coconut Oil Uses?!

Options
I've just now discovered the many uses of coconut oil...and I've tried some out myself!

I oil pull 20 minutes/day to help my teeth recover from the hormone induced gingivitis from pregnancy (WORKS WONDERS)
I use it as a moisturizer
...I've even used it as a personal lubricant (o_O)

Granted I haven't even COOKED with this stuff yet, but I'll get there!

What do you all use coconut oil for?

Replies

• chocol8junky
    Options
    I add a little melted oil to my dog's food once a day. It helps with their dry skin and they think they're getting a treat!

I've also used it as a face moisturizer. And with cooking replaced olive or vegetable oil required in recipes.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I put a tablespoon in my coffee, sometimes. It's creamy and delicious
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I use it as a moisturizer and I love it. I have a major vitamin D deficiency and am supposed to get 30 minutes a day in the sun so I sunscreen my face but put coconut oil on my arms and legs and I ever burn at all but I am starting to turn a beautiful brown color.

I've made a chocolate bark out of it before and I've used it in tea and coffee and I have a coconut oil cooking spray I use ..

But song at that is just about all I've used it for.
  • snoopyjet
    snoopyjet Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I use it for my BPC and for cooking and baking - well for almost everything :)
  • minky_r
    minky_r Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Use it in my smoothies, all over body, under makeup as a primer, and hair! Just before I wash my hair, I massage it into my scalp, leave it on for about 30 minutes then wash. I am addicted to it.
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I believe that you can use it for ear infections, eye infections, etc. as well.

I used to nurse, so I know of all the benefits of breastmilk, and from my research, I think that coconut oil has a very similar compound to it and can be used for many of the same things....other than letting your kid drink it. ;)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I will just eat a teaspoon if my fats are low for the day.

To those that add it to coffee, I tried this but just ended up with an oily layer floating on top if my coffee. What did I do wrong?
  • chocol8junky
    Options
    I add a little melted oil to my dog's food once a day. It helps with their dry skin and they think they're getting a treat!

I've also used it as a face moisturizer. And with cooking, replaced olive or vegetable oil required in recipes.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I've just now discovered the many uses of coconut oil...and I've tried some out myself!

I oil pull 20 minutes/day to help my teeth recover from the hormone induced gingivitis from pregnancy (WORKS WONDERS)
    I use it as a moisturizer
    ...I've even used it as a personal lubricant (o_O)

Granted I haven't even COOKED with this stuff yet, but I'll get there!

What do you all use coconut oil for?

I use mine for: pumpkin latte, baking, cooking, skin, my teeth, hair, face, my feet after showering, elbows to get rid of dry areas, as butter on toast or banana bread and last of all vaginal sex.
  • KLiburd86
    KLiburd86 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
  • KLiburd86
    KLiburd86 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    P.S. Note number 50 :wink:
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I use it any time I bake white fish....gives it a unique flavor
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I just started using it as a moisturizing hair mask! I colour my hair so it gets pretty dry, but a few times a week, I saturate my ends and let it sit for 30 minutes. My hair feels better every time I do it!

Also, I have pretty sensitive skin, so I like to use it as an after bath/shower lotion/moisturizer, and it makes my tattoos look more fresh! I am never buying regular lotion again

And of course, I cook with it. When I need to sauté something, frying up eggs, or popcorn, a little goes a long way. I'm pretty obsessed.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't ever use coconut oil down there.

But I use it to remove make up- moisturizer- I use it in my hair and for my skin.

I keep a seperate container for the kitchen for cooking or adding to food- it's great to reheat chicken with too- throw a dime/nickle size dollop on it food and it keeps it from drying out when you reheat it.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Everything. OP I see a little one in your profile pic... CO is an amazing diaper rash cream.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I oil pull every day. I've read after time it can help receding gums to grow back, so that was the reason I started. It hasn't yet that I can tell, but it takes months for the effects apparently. I still love it though because of other differences...my tongue always had a little white coat (even though I would brush it daily) and now my tongue is a nice healthy pink. Also helped with bad breath (which is tied to the tongue thing too I'm pretty sure).

I brush my teeth first (oil pulling softens the enamel apparently, so you don't want to brush after) and then oil pull for 20. Feels like fresh from the denist clean every day :-) Can't wait for my next dentist visit.
  • marleyskye05
    Options
    I use it for oil pulling, toothpaste, shower "soap", face wash (kills acne and makes skin so soft! My skin hasn't been this nice in a long time!), cooking oil, and yes it's actually amazing as personal lubricant, I concur! ;P
  • MissKim78
    MissKim78 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I use it on my skin (I have excema and it's great for it!) and I mix it with a little bit of sugar for a face and lip scrub.
    My bf and I use it as a lube! :wink: :tongue: Its amazing, works in water, smells great and is great for your skin and not harmful when absorbed! We use the extra virgin organic kind so it has a very low sugar content. We also use it for massages. You can warm it a bit in the microwave!
    Haven't tried using it for cooking, but friends of mine use it and also in smoothies.

There are TONS of uses for it! And I can get it pretty cheap here at our Bulk Barn....they sell tons of stuff in bulk so you can take as much or little as you need.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I tend to get suspicious when the media begins to make a big fuss about a "new" miracle food product that's good for everything--anybody remember a few years back (quite a few years, yes, I'm that old!) when soy was the "wonder" item? It was great, everybody should eat it, helped prevent cancer, etc, etc. Now it's one of the major allergy food groups. So whenever some is being raved about as "good for everything", my inner skeptic raises a sarcastic eyebrow and muses, "What will people be saying about this product 20 years from now?"