We are not "LUCKY", we work hard!!

Options

Replies

• IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    its an excuse to make themselves feel better most of the time. But, yea, its annoying.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I disagree. I AM lucky...

Lucky I had the patience and drive to lose the weight in the first place.
    Lucky I have the perseverance to keep it off this long.
    Lucky I have the time and resources to find activities that make me happy enough to keep doing them.
    Lucky I have knowledge I've learned about making better food choices.
    Lucky I have wisdom enough to take compliments and be proud of the work I do for my health.

+1.
  • Rak0ribz
    Rak0ribz Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have to say - as a fairly big guy, it's a lot easier for me to operate at a calorie deficit than if I had to restrict myself to 1200 calories. So, I'm lucky in that it's probably legitimately less of a lifestyle change for me.
    I'm lucky that I have the leisure to make time in the early mornings to go to the gym, and lucky that I have co-workers who go to the gym with me over lunch on my cardio days. I'm lucky to be in a situation in my life where I can do all this because I feel like getting healthier, and I'm lucky I decided to get in shape before I developed any health issues that would make it harder.

Not to say I didn't work my butt off, too, but it could've been a lot harder.
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Some people seem to use the word "lucky" for everything.

"You're lucky to be so slim"
    "You're lucky to have that job"
    "You're lucky to have so much savings"

I agree that it's just casual conversation and that one should take a compliment but I find that the people who overuse that word are the same people who think that everything in life is down to luck and excuses themselves like that. It's also unfair on those who work for something.
    I usually say something back, but in a friendly manner of course.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    My own sister told me how lucky I am that I have the willpower to stick to eating well all the time. She said "I did it for a while and then just had to give it up. I know I pay the price but I just can't do it. I'm not lucky like you are."
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I also understand its harmless and making excuses for themselves.. but its starting to drive me nuts.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    And some people are just lucky with their genetics. My mom eats more than any person I know. And she's 5'7", 110 pounds, 62, and in better shape than most people half her age. She exercises maybe once a week. Sometimes the genetic roulette wheel ends up in someone's favor.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    And some people are just lucky with their genetics. My mom eats more than any person I know. And she's 5'7", 110 pounds, 62, and in better shape than most people half her age. She exercises maybe once a week. Sometimes the genetic roulette wheel ends up in someone's favor.
    And the ones who work hard, like you, and look so damn hot, it mean so much more to you. you earned every inch of that hot.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    YES!! Preach it.

I am sooo freaking sick of that in so many areas of life. Not just diet/weight loss/fitness.

"You're lucky you have no debt" = NO, I have worked my tail off for over 20 years, I have gotten out of the debt I was previously in through hard work and discipline. I have stayed home when others went on trips and out to fancy restaurants. I have bought clothes in thrift stores. I don't have cable or a smartphone. I earned this sky high credit rating & carefree (comparatively) lifestyle fair & square.

"You're lucky you don't have kids" = NO, I have practiced birth control religiously and made a conscious decision when very young to never become a parent.

"You're lucky you have a degree" = NO, I worked hard in college while others partied. I gave those speeches, read those books, attended 8 am classes, did that research, and wrote all of those papers. It's not luck.

90399-alec-baldwin-clapping-gif-appl-Dmb3.gif
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Seriously bothered me.. had a girl who does my hair sometimes telling me how bad she wants to lose weight.
    Started trying to encourage her telling her I joined the gym, became dedicated and go almost every day, and starting making lower calorie decisions on what I ate, and disciplining myself.

Her response was literally, "ugh you're so lucky."

NO I'm not "lucky". I WORK HARD

Same with financial stability.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    YES!! Preach it.

I am sooo freaking sick of that in so many areas of life. Not just diet/weight loss/fitness.

"You're lucky you have no debt" = NO, I have worked my tail off for over 20 years, I have gotten out of the debt I was previously in through hard work and discipline. I have stayed home when others went on trips and out to fancy restaurants. I have bought clothes in thrift stores. I don't have cable or a smartphone. I earned this sky high credit rating & carefree (comparatively) lifestyle fair & square.

"You're lucky you don't have kids" = NO, I have practiced birth control religiously and made a conscious decision when very young to never become a parent.

"You're lucky you have a degree" = NO, I worked hard in college while others partied. I gave those speeches, read those books, attended 8 am classes, did that research, and wrote all of those papers. It's not luck.

^this^

Except I have a kid. But still.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I disagree. I AM lucky...

Lucky I had the patience and drive to lose the weight in the first place.
    Lucky I have the perseverance to keep it off this long.
    Lucky I have the time and resources to find activities that make me happy enough to keep doing them.
    Lucky I have knowledge I've learned about making better food choices.
    Lucky I have wisdom enough to take compliments and be proud of the work I do for my health.

YES!!! I love this positive spin on it!!

I used to think the same way, that others were just lucky or blessed to have these great metabolisms or whatever so they could eat what they want and be skinny. What a load of crap!

Now that I know better, it does irk me a bit when someone makes that kind of comment, especially when they've known me for years and know that I was obese for a long time and had to work through the same problems. I didn't just all of a sudden grow a fantastic metabolism...it doesn't work that way! I got determined, made changes, found a great tool to help (yay MFP!) and got my butt in gear!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I always answer that luck has nothing to do with it; I count calories and exercise like a fiend.

When my coworkers used to do this, I would invite them to spend a week with me and eat what I eat, and do what I do, and then see if they feel "lucky." No one ever took me up on it.
  • allana1111
    Options
    we are all amazing for even starting this! Even if its our first day it took a conscious decision to start!!
  • Charisma_Black
    Charisma_Black Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If someone wants something bad enough they will set out to achieve it and even go beyond that goal they have set. People do too much talking and not enough "doing". It's great to have dreams but if you want something you have to work hard for it. Things don't just set themselves in your lap!
  • toad_allyinlove
    toad_allyinlove Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    love it !
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I love the "you are so lucky you can eat cake (or whatever), and not gain weight"

I guess I am lucky I have put the time into understanding how calories and weight are related, but the people who say that are the same ones who don't like the eat less answer to losing weight.

this-ity this this.
    and also this.
  • ronbo62098
    ronbo62098 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I got something like this Monday. I was giving a talk during hospital orientation and I asked if there were any questions. One person raised her hands and said she'd like to know "where you got your 'guns.'" She made it sound like I bought my biceps/triceps on Ebay rather than going to the gym . . . every . . . single . . . day . . . after work to weight train. BTW, I absolutely HATE weight training! I would do cardio all day long and never touch a weight but that's a mistake I've made in the past, so I deal with the boredome and weight train - just to be told (basically) that I'm "lucky."

Edited to add this: When she asked me about my "guns" the tone was not admiring, curious, etc., the tone really did imply that I'd somehow rolled a drunk for his muscles, held up a lifter or acquired them by some other nefarious means.

I think the correct answer here would be something like: "At the Gym - paid for with blood, sweat and tears"
  • allana1111
    Options
    Yeah, I got something like this Monday. I was giving a talk during hospital orientation and I asked if there were any questions. One person raised her hands and said she'd like to know "where you got your 'guns.'" She made it sound like I bought my biceps/triceps on Ebay rather than going to the gym . . . every . . . single . . . day . . . after work to weight train. BTW, I absolutely HATE weight training! I would do cardio all day long and never touch a weight but that's a mistake I've made in the past, so I deal with the boredome and weight train - just to be told (basically) that I'm "lucky."

Edited to add this: When she asked me about my "guns" the tone was not admiring, curious, etc., the tone really did imply that I'd somehow rolled a drunk for his muscles, held up a lifter or acquired them by some other nefarious means.

I think the correct answer here would be something like: "At the Gym - paid for with blood, sweat and tears"

lol love it
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I hear this a lot and it drives me crazy, too. I have one person who always says "OMG you're so lucky you're thin I hate you!!!!!!" :huh: I'm not lucky, I'm disciplined and work my *kitten* off!