Biggest nutrition/weight loss/fitness pet peeves?

Options

Replies

• Spooky_Scully
    Spooky_Scully Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    When people completely cut out entire food groups, convinced that this will miraculously make them lose weight. No, this will make you sick, tired and you will probably either become obsessed or just give up!
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have a few pet peeves that I cannot decide which I dislike the most:

First, probably worst, is the people who constantly talk about how they want to lose weight and diet for a day or 2 but never actually make the commitment, but continue to talk about how much the need to lose weight. **** or get of the pot.

Second, Plexus (and other magical weight loss potions). Go from stage 3 obese to just regular stage 1 obese. I don't really need to say anything else, you all know.

Lastly, and this one will make some of you mad, deal with it. People who discourage VLCD without properly evaluating the situation. VLCD do have a place, they are not for most people, but they are for some. People who are Obese don't have an immediate concern for becoming skinny-fat, nor are they going to reduce their metabolism to work at a slower rate than what would equal the amount of weight they would lose on the standard weight loss calorie suggestions. They do, however, have an immediate concern of dying from a heart attack. They should lose a lot of weight, quickly, and then work into something healthier as they get down out of the "obese" category and into the "over weight" category. If you don't have a VERY solid understanding of the pros as well as the cons of VLCD, you don't have the right to tell anyone not to do it. A lot of people think they understand, and they do not.
  • linkirving
    linkirving Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz's existence is my biggest nutrition/weight loss/fitness pet peeve.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I, for one, hate the word "skinny." I hate when girls on here say, "I just want to be skinny!" Why? There's nothing sexy about being skinny. There's nothing hot about a thigh gap. Fit is the new skinny! Being healthy is more important than looking like Jessica Alba.

I agree with all of your post except that part. Looks are preference. What's sexy to you, may not be sexy to the next. Jessica Alba is 100% sexy :) And thigh gap is hot. Keep Calm and Chive on!
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve is demonizing certain foods or food groups.

On these boards, I agree about the "I can't eat 1200 calories" line. Send them to me!
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    people posting the just can't eat up to 1200 calories because they are so full...then how did you get 80lbs overweight

Damn, why can't MFP have a "like" button? This is the best thing I've read all day. AMEN SISTA!

LOL. I think the same thing all the time, but I've been too polite to say anything.
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    The word "DIET"....Diet means failure!!!!!!
  • jdb3388
    Options
    I, for one, hate the word "skinny." I hate when girls on here say, "I just want to be skinny!" Why? There's nothing sexy about being skinny. There's nothing hot about a thigh gap. Fit is the new skinny! Being healthy is more important than looking like Jessica Alba.

You are wrong, thigh gap is the greatest thing to ever happen.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    "You have to eat more"!!! Drives me crazy every time I see it and hear it. Eat healthy foods and the right amount and you should lose weight. Eat more...I never got that...
  • SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    LOSE vs. LOOSE

OH SWEET LORD
  • Spooky_Scully
    Spooky_Scully Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    LOSE vs. LOOSE

OH SWEET LORD

Hahahahah, YES!!!!! :laugh:
  • stripeytrousers
    Options
    LOSE vs. LOOSE

OH SWEET LORD

^THIS X 100000
  • CindyB97
    CindyB97 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    LOSE vs. LOOSE

OH SWEET LORD

I know, right? I feel like telling them to "Get lossed!"

Also, for some really odd reason, the word "veggie" is a pet peeve of mine. I have no idea why. Maybe because it's trying to be too cutesy? Like I have to be old pals with them and give them a nickname before I'll eat them? Nah, they are vegetables in my house.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    1. The Food Police

First, they ride my *kitten* (not in a good way) because I eat a donut from Tims. Then they start shoving foods at me when I decline what they're serving.

2. The Disease Police
    Because I'm fat, I automatically have diabetes, HBP, joint pain, PCOS, and/or food allergies.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Oh yeah......anorexia rocks!!!!! :grumble:

I hate to break it to you but thigh gaps are not obtainable for 100% of women. We wonder what drives anorexia ....now we know.
  • jdb3388
    Options

I hate to break it to you but thigh gaps are not obtainable for 100% of women. We wonder what drives anorexia ....now we know.

Well, I've been reminded of another pet peeve: People who immediately shout anorexia when someone mentions a certain body feature that is common to those who are very petite. Did you even think about what you just said?
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have three pet peeves (well, I'm sure I have more, but here are the 3 I'm thinking of now) and I'm in a bad mood, so here goes:

1. Hearing "Oh, you're lucky you're so thin!" No... I'm not lucky. It's not luck and it's not genetics. The ONLY reason I'm at a healthy weight now is because I work my *kitten* off every day and have learned how to eat healthy.

2. Excuses. If you are going to complain about your weight and/or unhealthy self and make NO changes to your lifestyle and diet, then stay away when you complain because I just don't want to hear it.

3. The excited starver. Good for you that you dropped 30 lbs in 2 months. Because this is the 3rd time in 2 years that you've done it. Eating 1000 calories a day to drop weight quickly is not smart, it's not healthy, and you've proved that it's unrealistic to think that you can maintain that for the rest of your life.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    "Thigh gap" really has more to do with the width of your pelvis and the angle of your femoral neck. Some women have them naturally, some don't, and there isn't much you can do about it either way.

Edited because I apparently can't spell.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything! I'd say my biggest pet peeve is "starvation mode". People who say they're in starvation mode are 9 times out of 10 going over their daily needs. They say they're eating 900 calories a day, but don't take the 2000 calorie binge into consideration. I'm sorry if I offend some, but no one in Africa has gained weight from starving.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Thigh gap is about the way a girl is built. Has nothing to do with being anorexic....at least not in the use of the word sexy when talking about it.