Biggest nutrition/weight loss/fitness pet peeves?

Options

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I, for one, hate the word "skinny." I hate when girls on here say, "I just want to be skinny!" Why? There's nothing sexy about being skinny. There's nothing hot about a thigh gap. Fit is the new skinny! Being healthy is more important than looking like Jessica Alba.

You are wrong, thigh gap is the greatest thing to ever happen.

Oh yeah......anorexia rocks!!!!! :grumble:

I hate to break it to you but thigh gaps are not obtainable for 100% of women. We wonder what drives anorexia ....now we know.

Well, I've been reminded of another pet peeve: People who immediately shout anorexia when someone mentions a certain body feature that is common to those who are very petite. Did you even think about what you just said?

Yes- I thought about it. Thigh gap is about body structure.....but that "structure" is something that Old Navy airbrushes in for their ads.....that "structure" is something that teenage girls strive to emulate.....some teenage girls that can NEVER obtain the "success" of thigh gap. Teenage girls that see themselves as failures because ......."thigh gaps are the greatest thing to ever happen."
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Those who harp on people for only eating 1200 calories, especially when they don't know their medical history/age/height/weight etc.
  • AnnetteG0514
    Options
    LOSE vs. LOOSE

OH SWEET LORD

^THIS X 100000

I'll raise you 100,000!! **LIKE LIKE LIKE!**
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    the pushing of pills, gimicks, wraps, etc to help weight loss. I've tried the pills and I coundn't take them because half of a pill made me shake. I only took them when I was sick and needed the extra energy to get through high school and work.

I have a friend that is pushing her skinny wraps on facebook and it pisses me off. Nothing but counting caloires and eating right works. Getting off of your butt and working out makes a big difference too.

YES! My mother-in-law wanted me to go with her to get one of those wraps done. "My friend lost 10 lbs in an hour!" Yeah, until she drank some water. Needless to say, I didn't go. I told her I'd rather do it the old fashioned way.

I agree with this too! I worked with these women who were doing the 17 Day Diet (I think) and they were losing 8 lb the first week, 5 lb the second week, then zero loss for a week - and when they went back to eating normally they gained like 10 lb immediately.

So in about a month, their weight was up/down and wound up down by 3-5 lb total...basically, the same as me on MFP. While I ate normal food. Huh.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I, for one, hate the word "skinny." I hate when girls on here say, "I just want to be skinny!" Why? There's nothing sexy about being skinny. There's nothing hot about a thigh gap. Fit is the new skinny! Being healthy is more important than looking like Jessica Alba.

And it's comments like that that help drive women to starve themselves to attain something that they most likely cannot physically achieve. If you naturally have a thigh gap, fine, but it should not be one's goal to have one. Period.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    People complaining that they gained 5 pounds in a day or two thinking its fat and then someone says "don't worry! It's muscle". No! It's water retention and glycogen being restored.
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

Oh yeah......anorexia rocks!!!!! :grumble:

I hate to break it to you but thigh gaps are not obtainable for 100% of women. We wonder what drives anorexia ....now we know.

Well, I've been reminded of another pet peeve: People who immediately shout anorexia when someone mentions a certain body feature that is common to those who are very petite. Did you even think about what you just said?

Yes- I thought about it. Thigh gap is about body structure.....but that "structure" is something that Old Navy airbrushes in for their ads.....that "structure" is something that teenage girls strive to emulate.....some teenage girls that can NEVER obtain the "success" of thigh gap. Teenage girls that see themselves as failures because ......."thigh gaps are the greatest thing to ever happen."

Welcome to the real world. There are going to be things a person will be a failure at. You find something else and move on. I am 5'5'', I've made peace with the fact that I will not be in the NBA, so I found something else.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    -Paleo
    -Low carb
    -Cleanses
    -Dr. Oz

Edited to add:

-Clean eating

+1 Especially "cleanses and detoxing" - as a biologist, I just keep my mouth shut but they make me want to scream: "WTF ARE YOU THINKING????"
    Clean eating does not bother me as much - somehow it does not seem to be quite as much mumbo jumbo. In my lurking in people's diaries, some folks eat a boatload of processed and fast food - a "clean meal" or "clean day" would not be the worst thing in the world (says the woman who ate Vienna sausages for breakfast).
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

And it's comments like that that help drive women to starve themselves to attain something that they most likely cannot physically achieve. If you naturally have a thigh gap, fine, but it should not be one's goal to have one. Period.

Whether you are right or wrong, it doesn't make thigh gap any less attractive, which is what you said.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    LOSE vs. LOOSE

OH SWEET LORD

I know, right? I feel like telling them to "Get lossed!"

Also, for some really odd reason, the word "veggie" is a pet peeve of mine. I have no idea why. Maybe because it's trying to be too cutesy? Like I have to be old pals with them and give them a nickname before I'll eat them? Nah, they are vegetables in my house.

LOL - I am with you guys totally on these.

I also hate "weight loss journey". I know it's been said a million times in these forums but I picture some saga movie with nomads moving toward healthier leaner bodies. No.

I cringe every time someone calls it a journey or path. I've lost over 100 lb and still can't really "relate" to that way of talking about it honestly...I have improved my health and changed my body but I don't feel I've had the same level of mental transformation that some do. I'd say maybe for some of them it is more of a "journey" but I still find the term super obnoxious!
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Its the "know it all attitude" that seems so prevalent amongst those who are already fit or have always been fit. I'm not pointing at anyone in particular and I'm talking about real life, not just MFP. We have all been newbies and we all still have things to learn.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Cleanses. Your GI tract is self- "cleansing"... If you are constipated, drink water, exercise and eat fiber rich foods. See a doctor if necessary; but "Cleanses" to lose weight are a waste of your money.

And TP.
  • Kaimana94
    Kaimana94 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is someone saying "I just cant lose weigth!" Yes you can, you just don't have the will power to.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    We needed this thread :)

I agree with you on the women and weights thing. It makes me facepalm when women say "They don't want to gain all kinds of muscle and look manly" as if gaining even a pound of muscle is easy.

One of my biggest ones though: When you politely decline a doughnut, pastry, etc. and people get offended. They assume you think you're better than them for not eating it and that you have a holier than thou complex when in all actuality, you think nothing even close to that. This really grinds my gears!!!

I think the first is just misinformation but the second I totally understand! If I say I don't want the brownie, it means I don't want the brownie. End of story, nothing more to it.
  • alecno
    alecno Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    [redacted]
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Two words: journey and sabotage.

In my book, Journey is an epic band and Sabotage was a badass song by the Beastie Boys.

Neither of these words have anything to do with being healthy, except when "Don't Stop Believin'" or "Sabotage" is on my running playlist.
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I find it irritating when someone says they aren't losing the immediate response is "You're over-eating/over-estimating burn." It's not that is not the most likely scenario, because it is, but it's not the only scenario. Water retention, muscle repair, stress or environment causing temporary halt to weight loss, whatever. There are a number of factors. I've been around long enough that I get how the thread usually goes and the person is not measuring accurately enough or is ignorant about how off MFP and machines can be with totalling calorie burn, but for some reason it irritates the crap out of me to see an answer that only says 'you're wrong.'

My general pet peeve is people who apparently get force-fed all the food that ever comes within 10 feet of them. I mean - I get that it is hard to turn down food and that some people are real *kitten* about it. I get that it's socially awkward to be the only person not eating the office birthday cake or whatever. I DO. I've been there. But no one ever opens your mouth, shoves the food in, forces you to chew and swallow it and go on to eat more later in the day. Take responsibility for your own choices and actions. I've had the battles in my head, I know the compulsions and the social pressures are strong, but crying about blowing it because a coworker brought donuts into the office has become a pet peeve of mine. Accept that your self-control wasn't what it should be - don't blame other people.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone says "I'm only getting 60% of my calories from protein, I think i need more, i should get a protein supplement" Or something like that. When the only nutrient someone knows about is protein, so they think it's the end all, be all nutrient.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I find it irritating when someone says they aren't losing the immediate response is "You're over-eating/over-estimating burn." It's not that is not the most likely scenario, because it is, but it's not the only scenario. Water retention, muscle repair, stress or environment causing temporary halt to weight loss, whatever. There are a number of factors. I've been around long enough that I get how the thread usually goes and the person is not measuring accurately enough or is ignorant about how off MFP and machines can be with totalling calorie burn, but for some reason it irritates the crap out of me to see an answer that only says 'you're wrong.'

My general pet peeve is people who apparently get force-fed all the food that ever comes within 10 feet of them. I mean - I get that it is hard to turn down food and that some people are real *kitten* about it. I get that it's socially awkward to be the only person not eating the office birthday cake or whatever. I DO. I've been there. But no one ever opens your mouth, shoves the food in, forces you to chew and swallow it and go on to eat more later in the day. Take responsibility for your own choices and actions. I've had the battles in my head, I know the compulsions and the social pressures are strong, but crying about blowing it because a coworker brought donuts into the office has become a pet peeve of mine. Accept that your self-control wasn't what it should be - don't blame other people.

Actually I gained 80 lbs because my ex did just that...no I didn't have to stay, but it does happen :/
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Two words: journey and sabotage.

In my book, Journey is an epic band and Sabotage was a badass song by the Beastie Boys.

Neither of these words have anything to do with being healthy, except when "Don't Stop Believin'" or "Sabotage" is on my running playlist.

+1,000