Coconut Oil Uses?!

13»

Replies

• christschild2
    christschild2 Posts: 97 Member
    BUMP!!
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Cooking mainly but also: treat dandruff, moisturiser, hair conditioner, stop itchy chickenpox, treat thrush, tattoo & piercing healing, oil pulling
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    I make a salt scrub for my body and a sugar scrub for my face. The one for my face has just a bit of coconut oil, but the one I salt scrub has it as a base.

For my face:

1 part lemon juice
    1 part honey
    few drops tea tree oil
    few drops coconut oil
    sugar to mix until its fairly thick. I usually make it rather thick because I will normally get a bit of water in there when I'm in the shower

For the salt scrub
    1 part lemon juice
    1 part coconut oil
    few drops of some essential oil - jasmine is my fave
    Sea salt until at desired consistency

I don't normally need a moisturizer after my salt scrub, but sometimes I'll use more coconut oil as a moisturizer. Its also a nice moisturizing treatment for hair. Dampen hair, and then comb coconut oil through it. Wrap in a towel and let sit for a half an hour or so, and then wash.

Its also delicious to cook with. ;)
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    MaggieGiamalvo Posts: 397 Member
    I remembered another use that I read about in a raw vegan group on FB... One of the ladies uses coconut oil topically to get rid of warts. She said she rubs a tiny bit on the wart a few times a day. I haven't tried that yet, but it's something I plan to try. I have a couple little ones I'd like to get rid of.
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Sorry but I don't know how to find proper research on this.. where should I look. Anyone have a good link please?

I just always knew oil based things shouldn't be used down there, guess the vaseline I used as teenager didn't kill me either but hey... just trying to learn.

I checked with my doctor before using it. I figure something natural, such as an organic oil, is better than a synthetic lube! I can't even pronounce some of the ingredients in some lubes! LOL I'd rather know exactly what I'm putting down there! I've been using it for over 2 years and no issues and completely healthy down there. But like I always say, everyone is different. You can read stuff online for DAYSSSSS and still not know what to believe. I say talk to people that use it and talk to your doc or gyn. :smile:

This ^ You can't be sure unless you talk to someone you trust about it!

I used to use coconut oil so much that I'm actually sick of the smell of it now. :sick: I stopped for a while because of that, but now I'm slowly incorporating it back into my diet and lifestyle (I actually started up again after reading about using it as a personal lubricant--suddenly my giant, untouched jar was looking very interesting!!!!). I put it in smoothies sometimes and grease my mugs with it for mug scrambles. I didn't know it could be a good face wash or about oil pulling. I might have to try those things out sometime. There are lots of good ideas here!
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    I oil pull every day. I've read after time it can help receding gums to grow back, so that was the reason I started. It hasn't yet that I can tell, but it takes months for the effects apparently. I still love it though because of other differences...my tongue always had a little white coat (even though I would brush it daily) and now my tongue is a nice healthy pink. Also helped with bad breath (which is tied to the tongue thing too I'm pretty sure).

I brush my teeth first (oil pulling softens the enamel apparently, so you don't want to brush after) and then oil pull for 20. Feels like fresh from the denist clean every day :-) Can't wait for my next dentist visit.

How in the heck do you do this?
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    There seems to be a lot of use for coconut oil but how to do you use it actually. Buy a jar? mix it with other things to help with hair, teeth...I know I want to try it for more uses but not sure how to start. Right now I just had a dab to my scrambled eggs.
  • caveninit
    caveninit Posts: 153 Member
    Am I the only one who doesn't know what "oil pulling" is? I have literally never heard of this.
    lol I was just about to Google that term...found this:
    http://coconut-oil-pulling.com/
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    I tend to get suspicious when the media begins to make a big fuss about a "new" miracle food product that's good for everything--anybody remember a few years back (quite a few years, yes, I'm that old!) when soy was the "wonder" item? It was great, everybody should eat it, helped prevent cancer, etc, etc. Now it's one of the major allergy food groups. So whenever some is being raved about as "good for everything", my inner skeptic raises a sarcastic eyebrow and muses, "What will people be saying about this product 20 years from now?"

In no way, shape, form or fashion is coconut oil "new" as far as products goes.

Back in the day before the low fat lie coconut and palm oils were used in items such as twinkies, etc......

Coconut oil has been around for forever and the benefits have been spoken of my tropical people for a long, long time