Farting....explain to me

Options
2»

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Only because I don't want what was in someone else's rectum in my nose. I find MY farts hilarious. :tongue:
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    That's why I prefer working out at home. Or out running. You can pretend the ripper is extra propulsion.
  • Raynidays3367
    Options
    Really? Nothing better to talk about?

quick! pull my finger

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :drinker:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    That's why I prefer working out at home. Or out running. You can pretend the ripper is extra propulsion.

QFT
  • Fishshtick
    Fishshtick Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm going to geek out here and propose my theories of the natural history of farts

We are a bit odd among mammals in not liking the smell of feces. Your dog loves to smell another dog's droppings and that is true of many mammals because there is often socially useful information in those feces. Humans don't use scent communication and instead have a strong attentiveness but aversion to feces odors, probably because of selection based on feces association with disease transmission risks. No disease has probably killed more humans in all of history than dysentery. So if we smell feces we respond instinctively negatively to the person who did it and it doesn't take long for people to learn to hide their farts and the sound of their farts, particularly among people they are less secure in their social or familial bond.

The reason farts sounds are funny is because we know they signify that someone just failed to keep their fart a secret and we go through a rapid instinctual startle response/aversion and then our sentient mind cotton's on that our mini panic is not needed and the brief instant of cognitive dissonance makes us laugh.

Some exceptions prove the rule, as we are not averse to all farts/feces smells. We smell our own with gusto as a way, I suspect, to assess our own health. This supports the farts / health risks association. The other exception is very transitory. We are almost completely compelled to sniff if we suspect a fart or feces is in the vicinity. Think about it. You know you do it. You get a hint of something like a fart and you don't initially close down your ability to smell, you instead take a deeper whiff to confirm it! It's at that point that your self protection kicks in and you develop a temporary aversion to the person who farted.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    What? I let out loud ones at my desk all day long. I'm confused. I am not supposed to do that?

And always be sure it is just a fart.. Please. I've seen a few accidents, especially on the treadmills.

h177193CA
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    2dmhwdy.jpg
  • Phenylethylamine_Phreak
    Phenylethylamine_Phreak Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I'm going to geek out here

yup, you didn't disappoint.....
  • tomaspetro
    tomaspetro Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I'm going to geek out here and propose my theories of the natural history of farts

We are a bit odd among mammals in not liking the smell of feces. Your dog loves to smell another dog's droppings and that is true of many mammals because there is often socially useful information in those feces. Humans don't use scent communication and instead have a strong attentiveness but aversion to feces odors, probably because of selection based on feces association with disease transmission risks. No disease has probably killed more humans in all of history than dysentery. So if we smell feces we respond instinctively negatively to the person who did it and it doesn't take long for people to learn to hide their farts and the sound of their farts, particularly among people they are less secure in their social or familial bond.

The reason farts sounds are funny is because we know they signify that someone just failed to keep their fart a secret and we go through a rapid instinctual startle response/aversion and then our sentient mind cotton's on that our mini panic is not needed and the brief instant of cognitive dissonance makes us laugh.

Some exceptions prove the rule, as we are not averse to all farts/feces smells. We smell our own with gusto as a way, I suspect, to assess our own health. This supports the farts / health risks association. The other exception is very transitory. We are almost completely compelled to sniff if we suspect a fart or feces is in the vicinity. Think about it. You know you do it. You get a hint of something like a fart and you don't initially close down your ability to smell, you instead take a deeper whiff to confirm it! It's at that point that your self protection kicks in and you develop a temporary aversion to the person who farted.

You smell funny!
  • jillyrobb
    jillyrobb Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    "I suppose I will admit its not kind to crop dust the pregnant woman in my office..."

Honey, I've never farted more than when I was pregnant. She's probably uncomfortable because she thinks you're mocking her.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Way to take all the fun out of it, Poindexter!

"Hey... I gambled and lost. It happens."
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options

And as I read this I laughed uncontrollably....I know you were trying to be cereal here. I appreciate it...
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    2cnv9g6.jpg
  • tomaspetro
    tomaspetro Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    To jog, you would wear a jogging suit
    To smoke, a smoking jacket and
    to swim, a swim suit.
    Everyone here wears a windbreaker.