I'm eating healthy, but my spouse isn't

Options
Anybody else find it hard to resist temptation with an unhealthy spouse? When I'm eating carrots and snap peas and my husband is next to me enjoying his fried chicken or Chinese food.... AHHHH!!!!! Lol

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Your diet not his. And because someone eats fried chicken or Chinese food, it doesn't mean they're unhealthy. Hell there are millions of Chinese that eat Chinese food everyday and are just fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    why are you doing that to yourself? eat the chinese food just not as much...

It's not the types of food you eat it is in how much you eat.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Your diet not his. And because someone eats fried chicken or Chinese food, it doesn't mean they're unhealthy. Hell there are millions of Chinese that eat Chinese food everyday and are just fine.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Yeah, the "Chinese food" we eat in the West has very little resemblance to actual Chinese food.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Yeah, the "Chinese food" we eat in the West has very little resemblance to actual Chinese food.

Depends on where you go. Not all "takeout" places are created the same.
  • mellowdeezer
    mellowdeezer Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes! But I don't feel jealous about his choices, I feel concerned. I wish he was on board as much as me to get our lives on a healthy track for our entire family.... BUT I'm not giving up or giving in. I will at least try and lead by example. :)
  • swhitt1309
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I should have specified Western Chinese food. I'm sorry but most Chinese people probably wouldn't eat it! Lol it's all fried and soaked in oil!
  • swhitt1309
    Options
    Yes! But I don't feel jealous about his choices, I feel concerned. I wish he was on board as much as me to get our lives on a healthy track for our entire family.... BUT I'm not giving up or giving in. I will at least try and lead by example. :)

It really is out of concern! I want to live a long life together!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options

Exactly!
  • swhitt1309
    Options
    why are you doing that to yourself? eat the chinese food just not as much...

It's not the types of food you eat it is in how much you eat.

I do still eat it occasionally. These are his dinner choices almost every night! Lol
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    my life....

My wife doesn't follow my nutrition plan or training. I respect her for that but it's hard to see her eat junk in front of me.
    She doesn eat better at supper cause i'm cooking lol so she eats what I eat..kids too but other than that..not that much no.
  • SuperTiredMom
    SuperTiredMom Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    No, because I don't deprive myself, it can lead to binging. I eat what I want, I just make sure I stay within my calorie goal and hit my macros.
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I don't like temptations and certain "less than clean" foods are TRIGGER foods for me, and for good reason - many of them have flavor enhancers that are specifically designed to trigger cravings so people eat more and more of it. That's why I like "clean" foods because they have to at least stand on their own merits of yumminess, and aren't being messed with to mess with me!

So I don't BUY trigger foods or have them in the house. If I buy anything that triggers me to "eat the whole thing" I don't buy it again. Mark can eat whatever he wants out of the house at lunch time. We haven't had trigger junk in the house in ages. If it's not in the house, it's a lot harder to be tempted by it.

It's fine to eat anything in moderation, but learning what your trigger foods are and handling that trigger reaction are key to long-term success for me. Simple solution in my case because my husband eats lunch out every day with his workmates and can do as he pleases then and get it out of his system. This works for us.

Source: http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/tweaking-tastes-and-creating-cravings/
  • Miss_TeaPot
    Miss_TeaPot Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    There are four people in my home including me.

I am the only one dieting. It's hard but I manage. I'm on day 20 and so it's getting a little easier. Last night they all ate pasta in a meat sauce and I didn't even flinch. I do realize that everyone is different though. I hope it gets easier for you and maybe your husband will even join in.
  • 1daylate1dollarshort
    Options
    There are four people in my home including me.

I am the only one dieting. It's hard but I manage. I'm on day 20 and so it's getting a little easier. Last night they all ate pasta in a meat sauce and I didn't even flinch. I do realize that everyone is different though. I hope it gets easier for you and maybe your husband will even join in.

Ha. That's my same scenario. Day 20, 4 people in the house, I'm also the only one trying to eat better. lol. My SO lost around 100lbs, but he didn't alter his diet whatsoever and he is managing to keep the weight off eating all the crap food we both love. Everyone loves that stuff around here so it is everywhere.

I HAVE to alter my diet to lose weight. Once or twice a week I do have something I really, really like that I don't think I'll go overboard on.

But I can't eat breakfast pizza or cake or Burger King because I lack the self-control to do so. I can't see myself eating that stuff more often than weekly and in small amounts because I'll be back to the same behaviors that led to the crazy weight gain. I try not to even do once a week because then I crave it more afterwards.

But I don't care what they eat. Whatever makes them happy.

EDIT: SO managed portion control and cut out soda. My bad. He altered his diet to lose 100lbs, but he can still eat the food he loves. Looked like he miraculously lost 100lbs. Nope. lol
  • nomad1000
    nomad1000 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    H eats very different than I do but I am OK with that. He can get pizza and has four slices, I just have one. He gets Chinese take away, I eat a salad with a salmon fillet on top. He has a cup of ice cream, I have a 1/4 cup. He goes out for lunches of burgers and sandwiches, I bring mine to work so I can track what I eat. For me it is less about cutting stuff out and eating the stuff I love in moderation and so far it is working for me. I still have pasta, ice cream, chocolate, pita chips, etc. But now I just weigh and measure everything so I don't mindlessly eat from the bag/container.

I am progressing faster in my weight loss than he is by double so I am just hoping that my successes show him that you can still have the foods we love to eat but just in smaller portions.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My husband eats unhealthy things because that's all he can eat right now. He's getting a bunch of surgery on his mouth and he can only eat soft things like spaghettios, milkshakes, pudding. He does enjoy my low-carb chili though. But overall, I don't mind and I make him his meal and I prepare my keto-friendly meal.

It's your diet, not his. You can't get mad at him because you are eating better.
  • marian4marian
    marian4marian Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    yes, that is a tough one. i live with my slim, 27 year old son who eats and drinks as he pleases...but i just keep my focus on why i am here doing this, day after day. one can ask for specific support from our significant others we live with but we can't force anything.
    interestingly enough, my son now often just eats what i eat, with his own amount choices. if we have a salad, he uses his dressing, i use mine. it's not that complicated. plus i know he really wants me to succeed. but even if he did not (and most of the world could not care less) i would need to keep my focus on MY plan...day by day. people who do not struggle with weight issues truly do not understand. so that leaves us together, but different...
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    My wife and I eat very differently. We also have my sister living with us. But overall everybody is on a conscious road for better health and weight loss. It helps.

But that wasn't always the case. I've had periods where my wife and sister were absolutely no concentrating on weight loss and fitness, and I was going at it alone. I can't make food choices based off what the people I love are eating. Sure there were times where I overindulged on foods they brought in the house that were not the best for my goals, but that's life, and I didn't let that stop me.

But to be honest it doesn't work the same direction. Both of them have issues if I, or the other person, brings in trigger foods. They are both emotional eaters who have trouble controlling their intake of higher carb, sweet foods. It's a lot tougher for them to stay on track when that stuff is brought into the house.

IDEA Fitness member

I know, as I live in NYC, one of the most diverse culinary cites on planet Earth. I live two and a half blocks from the Brooklyn Chinatown, where lots of true Chinese cuisine is served.

But lets not nitpick here. We all know the vast majority of "Chinese food" served in the west is not authentic Chinese food eaten by "millions" of actual Chinese people, simply because there are a rare percentage of authentic Chinese food places.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I know, as I live in NYC, one of the most diverse culinary cites on planet Earth. I live two and a half blocks from the Brooklyn Chinatown, where lots of true Chinese cuisine is served.

But lets not nitpick here. We all know the vast majority of "Chinese food" served in the west is not authentic Chinese food eaten by "millions" of actual Chinese people, simply because there are a rare percentage of authentic Chinese food places.

I live in Queens and I know. *shrug* Doesn't make one or the other "healthier" or "unhealthier".
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Yes. My wife weighs over 200 pounds, and cant walk up 2 flights of stairs. She also doesnt exercise. I weigh 134, run 70 miles a week. She eats more than I do and she doesnt make good choices with the foods she does eat.