FAT TAKES UP LESS SPACE THAN MUSCELS ?!?!

Options

Replies

• cowgirlqueen
    cowgirlqueen Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    maybe they shrank in the dryer? did you wash them in hot water? better yet it could be the aliens. i always blame the aliens when something's just not right.

(this all sounds like a great reason for new clothes)

I can only hope an new clothes does sound tempting but I told my self I wouldn't buy new clothes for at least 6 months
  • cowgirlqueen
    Options
    The tight feel might be due to the lift your butt is getting from your workouts. Muscle takes up less space, but certain exercises lift and shape your butt.

I think this is exactly what happened
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    The tight feel might be due to the lift your butt is getting from your workouts. Muscle takes up less space, but certain exercises lift and shape your butt.

And is an amazing thing to see happen, says the guy who likes to see such things.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    :huh:

I don't understand.......
  • cowgirlqueen
    Options

And is an amazing thing to see happen, says the guy who likes to see such things.

:laugh: im happy to see it but was a little thrown off by it as you can tell :laugh:
  • cowgirlqueen
    Options
    :huh:

I don't understand.......

I don't either an it's my body :laugh:
  • cowgirlqueen
    Options
    I've lost the most inches off my shoulders and my waist and hips
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    5-pounds-of-fat-5-pounds-of-muscle.jpg

Beat me to it LOL
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Nope, sorry, it's the opposite. Fat takes up more space than muscle.

Sizes vary from store to store, brand to brand, and sometimes even within the same brand. Just because you wear an 8 in one specific pair of pants doesn't mean you can wear an 8 in a pants.

If you're losing inches that's all that matters, your pant size be damned.

This

And the photo of muscle and fat that demonstrates it.
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    You are probably just wearing a different brand of jeans. Trust me, sometimes I go shopping and need to buy a size up despite not having gained weight OR inches. (The one time I went into an Old Navy, I noticed I was 2 or 3 sizes smaller than normal. I forgot which, but I remembered it was a drastic difference.)

Muscle weighs more, but does not take up more space. A pound of muscle is smaller in volume than a pound a fat. I don't think it's worth worrying about. Don't let the sizing numbers get to you.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more, but does not take up more space.

Muscle does not weigh more than fat.

A pound is a pound.

A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat, as a pound of feathers, a pound of cotton balls, and a pound of reeses pieces.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

A pound is a pound.

A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat, as a pound of feathers, a pound of cotton balls, and a pound of reeses pieces.

So does a 6" cube of fat weight the same as a 6" cube of muscle?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    This was an amusing read.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

A pound is a pound.

Stop with this crap. Come on now. Weight is a comparitive measure for things of equal size.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

A pound is a pound.

Stop with this crap. Come on now. Weight is a comparitive measure for things of equal size.

Stop with what? Facts?
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options

A pound is a pound.

Stop with what? Facts?

When someone say muscle weighs more then fat they don't mean 1 lb vs 1 lb. obviously they both weigh 1 lb. they mean mass vs mass. A square inch of muscle is going to weigh more then a square inch of fat.
  • silverraiyne
    silverraiyne Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Nope, sorry, it's the opposite. Fat takes up more space than muscle.

Sizes vary from store to store, brand to brand, and sometimes even within the same brand. Just because you wear an 8 in one specific pair of pants doesn't mean you can wear an 8 in a pants.

If you're losing inches that's all that matters, your pant size be damned.

What this person said ^^^^

I have two pairs of jeans, both the same exact brand, exact same cut, they just have different designs on the denim and pockets. One is a size 9 and fits my curves amazingly! The other pair is a size 11 and I have to do the booty bounce up and down trying to squeeze my *kitten* into them. Total craziness!
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Fat takes up MORE space than muscles, but that doesn't necessarily mean that every part of your body is going to shrink if you're building muscle, you may have added muscle without losing fat to that particular part of your body, or you may have have very little muscle there before, and now be building it up, while losing fat somewhere else. Some parts of your body will shrink and some will grow when you trim off the fat and tone the muscles, your shape will change, but over all your size will go down if you are losing fat.

Sounds like perhaps you built some muscle in your legs and butt while losing fat in your belly, however muscle gains while losing fat are very limited, and you probably have gained as much muscle in those areas as you are going to if you are eating at a calorie deficit, so from here on out what you will probably see if you continue is that fat begins to disappear without any significant muscle growth, and depending on how much fat your have on your body, your butt might even shrink back down a bit as the fat that is over the new muscle starts decrease.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options

A pound is a pound.

Yes a pound is a pound, however if you take one cubic inch of muscle and one cubic inch of fat, the muscle will weigh more, I'm sure that is what this person meant. Technically the correct way to say it is of course that muscle is more dense than fat... but why split hairs?

Oh yeah, because this is the internet.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options

A pound is a pound.

Stop with what? Facts?

When someone say muscle weighs more then fat they don't mean 1 lb vs 1 lb. obviously they both weigh 1 lb. they mean mass vs mass. A square inch of muscle is going to weigh more then a square inch of fat.

Not mass...
    What you mean is density (Density = mass/volume)