Tracking on a Cruise

2»

Replies

• dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    There is so much walking, it's crazy. I wore my Fitbit for the first few days (before the battery died) and had my goal set to 5 miles and I would often reach that goal before lunch time just wandering around the ship.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it! Honestly, I was more concerned with losing my streak. This is the most consistent I've been and am pretty proud of it.

I'm going to take your advice and enjoy myself. :)

I gave someone my login to make sure I didn't lose the streak (was only 4 day cruise). Granted it was my boyfriend so he had more incentive to do it for me rather than just a regular friend...
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    All,

I'm going on a cruise in October but want to keep up with my consistent tracking. The way I see it, I either will have to pay roaming charges on my phone to use my app or pay the cruise line's internet cafe. Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Thanks!

By Oct. you will be pretty much an expert on calories, portion sizes and what you should avoid. This is a vacation so enjoy it, eat a few things you know aren't on the OK list but it is actually OK to eat those foods now and then, so during this cruise is one of those now and then moments. I personally like to use the buffets, I then have control over what goes on that plate... mainly enjoy yourself, you can keep track if you want, but I wouldn't stress on trying to find wifi... the cruise ship will have a workout area take advantage of it!
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    -Investigate the cheapest internet package- you only need 10-15mins a day.
    -Quick add calories if you're unsure and amend later on, working from a diary. Doesn't have to be concrete form, maybe a simple list. Ticking off your water for the day. Inputting your exercise to add later on.
    -A family friend wanted to count calories on a cruise we went on and she spoke to ship staff who were very knowledgeable.
    -On a cruise there are plenty of fresh fruits (some more exotic than you might find everyday too) and vegetables- they actually look appealing! Shouldn't be too hard to force 'em down with this :)
    -Go by generic database for foods on the site if you want to count calories- they aren't 100% accurate, but ballpark figure
    -Most ships have a gym, exercise classes and running track. Take advantage of the facilities.

-Enjoy yourself. Work at maintenance instead of aiming for weight-loss. Assess your TDEE with a calculator, you don't have to limit to this, an extra hundred calories a day or two won't hurt. For this wait until it's closer to the time, you're body will be different by then and may change your TDEE significantly. Have fun.
  • khoshgeleh16
    khoshgeleh16 Posts: 150 Member
    I went on a 7-day cruise over Christmas and, though I was initially worried about not logging, it was fine. I definitely ate more calories than I would've if I were tracking, but I also made lots of use of the ship's fitness center and walked SO MUCH - I had my FitBit with me and I hit 10k steps every day, no problem.

After all that (including Christmas and some seriously unrestrained eating) I gained a whopping one pound. So I wouldn't worry too much - just enjoy the cruise, take a little vacay from your diet, and all will be well!
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    I cruise once a year and have always eaten whatever I wanted, when I wanted it, and never gained more than a pound or two. I think a lot of it is water weight, because it goes away pretty quick. There will be plenty of opportunities for exercise, walking, taking the stairs or you can check out the workout area on the ship.

If you really don't want to mess up your streak, you'll have to pay for Wi Fi on the ship. The only cell tower you'll have access to in the middle of the ocean, will be the one on the ship. :smile:

Go, have fun and enjoy your cruise!
  • firelight4321
    firelight4321 Posts: 60 Member
    I wouldn't track it so carefully. Take the stairs, walk the length of the ship a few times a day, swim in the pool, and hit the gym each day. Try to be concious about how much you eat. Limit sweets & stop when you feel full, and you will be fine! Remember that veggies, fish and chicken breast are low calorie options!
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    I went on a cruise in January. I also wanted to keep my diary consistent. SO I kept a paper diary log and I stopped by the internet café each day to simply log into the MFP system. Maybe on 5 minutes max each day. Be ready for a very SLOW experience. I guess that's where they think they'll get ya ... but I just logged in something simple like my planned water intake or rolled over my breakfast meal each day or a banana snack. Something that I knew would already be easy to retrieve. Then quickly logged off. That way I kept my charges to a minimum but also kept up my logging streak.

When I got home, I spent a small amount of time logging in my paper diary to include food, exercise and water tracking. It sounds really obsessive, I know, but by staying mindful of my choices as I wrote them down, I did not gain weight on my cruise (actually lost a couple of lbs) and still had a MARVELOUS time. When I got home, the time I took to log in my paper trail was a good data analyzing session for me.

If you're not worried about maintaining your "logging streak" in MFP just keep a paper log until you get back (spiral notebook works great for this) then resume electronic logging.
  • Thyme4change
    Thyme4change Posts: 46 Member
    I just got back from our first cruise. I did a lot of research and still went in blind and unsure what I would do. I didn't track, I made mostly good choices from the choices I had, bread n butter at dinner killed me, I ran every morning b4 breakfast. And we walked a lot! And mostly took the stairs. I follow a Paleo plan which was difficult and I did fall off the plan, cause the plates were more like huge platters or trays. I did use it more like a tray to hold a bowl and a salad plate..but... I had a great time and my food wasn't bad, but my slow metabolism was the problem. For most people I should hv maintained at the very least, but I knew that wouldn't happen. I gained 11lb, got back on track the day after we got back and lost 5lbs that next day, yay!

My plan for our next cruise...

..Log everything in a notebook to keep me in reality and not unknowingly blissed.
    ..take a pic of my meal to log in the room, I conveniently forget ;)
    ..exercise everyday
    ..only eat at the Resturants (the portions are reasonable and controlled)
    ..stay away from buffet unless I only use the salad plate.
    ..go dancing for 30 min every night :)
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    I leave Saturday for ours :) Not tracking anything except my steps which fitbit will do. Been at this a year - i am soooo taking a break :) I will make some sensible choices and then some not so sensible. I fully intend to enjoy myself!! I do not drink so I will not have a load of alcohol calories (or bill lol)...:)

I say if you are concerned - eat what you want in moderation - be mindful of everything you eat and choose the best options. They have gyms so hit the gym. But HAVE FUN!!
  • soozey1
    soozey1 Posts: 102 Member
    I recently went on a cruise, been on plenty. I tracked it was just offline. Take the stairs all the time. Go to the gym and then enjoy your dessert. Watch the buffet order in the restaurant and watch the bread it is small and so delicious it will go go straight to your hips. Had killer calves when I returned but no weight gain, which made me feel great.
  • nh38318
    nh38318 Posts: 124 Member
    Im on a cruise in 4 weeks. I usually dont track what I eat or drink or exercise at all but this time im planning on using the gym a few times. Whether I actually will when im on there is another thing entirely!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    enjoy your vacation.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Track on a cruise... let me know how that goes! I remember my last cruise.. first two days: oatmeal and egg whites for breakfast, chicken breast salad potato for lunch, dinner a little splurge and weight and cardio workout in the gym...

Fast forward to end of cruise... breakfast buffet, ate everything, lunch buffet, ate everything, dinner.. guess what I ate? Everything. I did manage to get to the gym every single day and kill it there though!!!

You are on vacation.. enjoy, eat in moderation and write it down if you feel you need to log and there is no online access... OR the cruise I was on had complementary computer online access in a lounge area for short periods of time, you can uitilize that if possible or you'll have to pay to use your smart device.

A
  • Travelbug1955
    Travelbug1955 Posts: 61 Member
    Don't use your phone on a cruise, it's very expensive with roaming charges. I always buy enough time with the cruise ships internet to last me one week or how ever long the cruise will be. I take my own laptop with me and use it in my room. They have a gym you can use also and a nice deck to take walks on.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,866 Member
    Believe me, if the food is anything like on the cruise we went on you will need every ounce of willpower. The food was fantastic and on offer 24 hours per day. I couldn't have stuck to a diet even if I had tried. Just go and enjoy it all. Remember, you have paid for it.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Keeping a journal and recording when you get back. However, like others have posted, take a break, enjoy and resume when you get back.

I am going on a cruise in May 2014. I will not track but I will use the gym.
  • Corsetopia
    Corsetopia Posts: 307 Member
    Track on a cruise... let me know how that goes! I remember my last cruise.. first two days: oatmeal and egg whites for breakfast, chicken breast salad potato for lunch, dinner a little splurge and weight and cardio workout in the gym...

Fast forward to end of cruise... breakfast buffet, ate everything, lunch buffet, ate everything, dinner.. guess what I ate? Everything. I did manage to get to the gym every single day and kill it there though!!!

You are on vacation.. enjoy, eat in moderation and write it down if you feel you need to log and there is no online access... OR the cruise I was on had complementary computer online access in a lounge area for short periods of time, you can uitilize that if possible or you'll have to pay to use your smart device.

A

This exactly! Last cruise I went on, the first day or so I was really good, then I realized I was on vacation and just went for it. Ate everything. Ordered Disney mickey chocolate bars and hot chocolate to our room like every night. It was pretty much magical.

I did, however, get my butt to the gym that was on the ship every morning and work up a sweat. It made me feel better all day and helped me feel less guilty about the crazy food choices I made all vacation.

End result? I came home, stepped on the scale and was up almost 4 pounds. It came off pretty quickly once I started getting back into things here. I'd say not logging and enjoying myself was well worth it. It's a vacation!

By the way - have a great time!! :flowerforyou:
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    just don't...

enjoy yourself...I went with the intention of tracking, but gave it up on the first day. The internet charges were crazy..
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Pay for the internet café. Log on to website just to see your day streak update and then log-off. If you are intent on entering what you ate ,do that when you get back (I wouldn't). But given my current streak (800 days tomorrow) , I wouldn't want to give it up either. If you are taking your own tablet or laptop then you can usually buy 30 minute increments. That should give you enough time to sign-on briefly each day.

Enjoy your trip.
  • lisamay74
    lisamay74 Posts: 16
    We are cruising to the Bahamas in May!!! If you are using CCL I know you can pull up their menus online (that they serve in the dining room & room service menus)......of course the buffets are not available online!! You can even get the menu for the Steakhouse!!

If you are not using CCL maybe you can do the same with your cruise line!!

Hope this helps and hope you enjoy your cruise!!

Lisa
    :flowerforyou:
  • vicki304
    vicki304 Posts: 22
    I was on the carnival victory last October, you're on vacation, there are so many healthy options and they even have a fitness area and a track... however... reward yourself and enjoy your trip. Plenty of time to monitor cals when you get home :)
  • vicki304
    vicki304 Posts: 22
    Also FYI!!!! Leave your cell at home! My roaming charges were more than my cruise!
  • 10BlueDoves
    10BlueDoves Posts: 33 Member
    Don't worry about tracking on a cruise. I went on a cruise after around 100 days of daily logging, I was concerned too before I went. But I ended up deciding to just eat and enjoy my cruise. I didn't go overboard on the eating though. Some things I did, if I took it and didn't really enjoy eating it, I didn't. Stop eating when full, this was a little tough when some of the food was so yummy and stuff I hadn't eaten in months, but I knew there was another yummy meal soon to come. If there are more than one dish you are trying to decide on, pick the one which you think will have less calories. If you find something you love that is a more sensible choice, eat it over and over again, I had a bed of fresh baby spinach with balsamic vinegrette topped with over a dozen giant cocktail shrimp for lunch every single day of our cruise. Yum. I went on a 7 night cruise, ate dessert with every meal, had unmeasured amounts of real soda, mid-afternoon small soft serve ice cream, late night pizza snack (but skipped the pepperoni and sausage)... When I got home, I was only up 2 pounds, two days later I was down 3 pounds. I was just holding water weight because of all the extra sodium. It is only one week, one week isn't going to make or break any long term goals. But don't over do it either.
  • Fixin to Cruise out on the 31st with the spouse a roo and an awesome MFP connection and his lovely...After reading all these responses, I think I may just paper log everything to keep my fat *kitten* in perspective of what I put in my mouth. I have a paper nutritional dictionary I can refer to for caloric intake. But who knows, knowing my dear MFP friend, he'll most likely take my paper notebook and nutritional dictionary and toss it off the boat and buy me a shot of Jager because he knows I don't need to be a silly fool worrying about logging...and that is why he is my MFP BFF:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: