Women 55yrs. & older with 75lbs. or more to lose!

Options

Replies

• sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Hi Lori! Wow you are an inspiration with that weight loss. I hope to weigh 50 pounds less a year from now. That is an exciting thought. I actually know it can happen, thanks to MFP. I can't believe I wasted so many years fat.

I uploaded a real picture, btw, so now my profile isn't a graphic of a scale.
  • JosieMomGramma
    JosieMomGramma Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Lori: Thanks for sharing, you are an inspiration to us all & a wonderful fit for this group!! Happy belated Birthday!

Kathy: Love the profile picture, so nice to see the face we are talking too! Will pop in later. Hope you all seen my posting about changing thing to this group in April. I will post it again.
  • merrygrannie
    merrygrannie Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,Mary from Ky.I've just started MFP and i hope we can inspire each other.I'm 67 and retired.That was a big change for me.Lost my daily routine and sharing stories with people at work.I also walked everyday either before work or after.It seemed like I gave up when I retired.I had no structure.I'm hoping I can change all that and get back on track.Looking forward to new journey in my life.
  • kinnurse0754
    kinnurse0754 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Hi All, Its so nice to be able to post during the day instead of in the middle of the night. I was up very late last night as I expected. Its hard to sleep at night on my first day off. I woke around 8 and when I looked out the window and saw fresh snow, I closed the curtain and went straight back to bed. Fortunately by the time I got up again, it had warmed up and most of it was gone again. So glad as I do not think I could tolerate another round of shoveling snow.

Josie - how I envy you being able to bowl. My whole family has always bowled. 5 and 10 pin. My two sisters and brother in laws bowl in a league. I have never been able to get the hang of it. I did try for a few years when I was young, in fact met my ex husband through a league with my parents but as I got older, it was harder to do. I've had back problems since my early 20's and could never do it after that. My grandkids have asked often as I have a lane close to my home and I've taken them but just for fun. Fun for them, but I'm usually so sore afterward as to not make it so much fun.

Welcome Lori from Tx. You'll find that this is a great group of like minded women here. You've done extremely well so far with your weight loss and hopefully you will find the support here that you need to continue. We are all on the same journey, to find a healthy way to change our lifestyles and hopefully see the excess weight dissolve with the effort. Lord knows, its a difficult thing to change our lifestyles at this age but with support from others, anything can be accomplished.

Annglenn - I too have lost inches as I've gotten older. Part of it was lost with my knee replacement surgeries but the rest was indeed from arthritic changes in the spine which has caused the discs to compress. My oldest grand daughter who will be 15 this year takes great pleasure in reminding me often that I'm shrinking with age while she is now taller than I am.

Hoping everyone has a wonderful w/e. I'll drop by again later to see who else is dropping in for a visit today. Charlotte
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    Just had to share! I went out to eat today with my kids ( been well over a year since I have eaten out)
    We went to Outback Steak house. I had a steak&Lobster special with grilled Asparagus, & house salad.( I always take my own homemade dressing) All for under 600 Calories !!! Yipee:drinker:
    Makes me realize I can make good choices no matter where I am.
    Missed the wine and the bread though. But more than worth it :wink:
    I can't believe I was hungry for Dinner. Alas, I was. :laugh:
    I plan on going through and reading a lot of your posts on here, and try and get the hang of things.
    Thank ya'll for being here.

Lori**from TX :flowerforyou:
  • liha0808
    liha0808 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Is there a group? I would like to join, almost 53 but so many on here are young.
    Midwest US
    52 (53 in Aug)
    5'2" shortie
    SW: 311
    GW: 180
    Perfect weight: 140

Eating clean food I make mostly myself (mostly). Under cancer treatment for 2nd time and its like poison causing wt loss + wt gain over and over. Healthy foods help my energy level. Want to accomplish this goal for me and my grown sons who have seen me overweight to some degree all their lives.
  • JaysWays
    JaysWays Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hey, I know im younger than you ladies. Alot of my clients I have are older. I have been on my fitness journey for about 5 years. I have learned so much. If you need any tips or ideas to loose the weight let me know, You guys can all do it! Your still young!!! Stay strong! <3
  • bettyjoburdett
    bettyjoburdett Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, this kind of support group and tread is what I have been searching for since I joined MFP. Let me introduce myself, I am 60 years old, retired, married for 44 years, been overweight for most of my life. I have had gastric bypass surgery (failed) tried every diet that has ever, ever been written, joined WW 4 times ( back when you had to eat liver once a week) the first time and 3 years ago, my last time and nothing ever works for long term.

I have decided to do what is advised over and over again by Doctors, simply cut down what goes in the mouth, do some exercizes that fits your lifestyle, and to not be impatient to see intsant results.

I still have my doubts and fears but since January 2nd, 2014 I have eaten healthy without starving or feeling deprived, joined Planet Fitness which is cheap and fun and thank the Lord above, I have lost 23 lbs. It is now March 22, 2014 and despite going on vacation, being away from my home taking care of sister recovering from surgery and my beloved Dad with dementia, I am still losing.

I decided that when I turned 60 that there were things I wanted to do before I was old. I want to get SCUBA certified, ride a horse, and travel to adventurous places. The only thing stopping me is my weight. I started at 237 Lbs. and am now at 214. My next goal is to get below 210.

I am looking for friends who can support me and offer my support. I do have a lifetime of dieting so actually have a good store of advice, recipes, good nutrition info, etc.

My goal for this week is to get to the gym at least 3 times despite my current care giver situation.

Good luck ladies!
  • bettyjoburdett
    Options
    After one year of caring for my husband through many a health crisis...I have gained back the weight lost. So now I begin again with 75+ pounds to lose. Hope this group proves to be a support for aging , arthritic but optimistic gals.

My immediate plan is to shop smart this weekend and fill the fridge with good choices.

What a great way to start again. By buying the good food we need you are setting your foundation for being successful:bigsmile:
    By this time a month from now, you will be down lbs., feeling better and looking forward to posting your success.

Care givers are blessed, and angels on earth:flowerforyou:
  • bettyjoburdett
    Options
    I really like this idea Josie & ready to jump in! I am 63 years old & also have arthritis in my knees,hip & back. So it can be limiting. I first started with MPG since 2010 when I joined a liquid protein diet doctor supervised. In two years I lost 70 pounds. I may have lost it sooner if I had not cheated. But come on now liquid protein for any amount drives you crazy or did me. So of course I gained it all back & then some. Now I am seeing an eating disorders counselor since this past September by doing portion control. I have now lost 30 something pounds. I still have my days that I mess up but they are much less. So I am looking forward to having this outlet.

Good for you:flowerforyou:
    After many, many years of dieting, I decided to do it right.........jeez... what a shock, it works:bigsmile:
  • kinnurse0754
    kinnurse0754 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, nice to see some more new faces joining us. This is a new group but so far, it looks like its going to be a really supportive and fun group. Glad you found us before Josie closes it down to new people for awhile.

Betty, I am also going to be 60 this year and I too want to make it a year to remember. I'm not so brave as to want to scuba dive although I love to swim. But, I would love to do some things that are new and exciting.

liha0808, wow you've had a very difficult couple of years. I can relate to that unfortunately. I had a cancer diagnosis 2 years ago but I was very lucky and was diagnosed very early. I had surgery and have been cancer free since then. But, the emotional turmoil that you go through wrecks havoc with your system. Also, I have been a nurse for 40 years and have seen almost every aspect of cancer treatment. I give you tons of credit for keeping a positive attitude and for looking to the future. As I'm sure you are aware, staying positive is more than half the battle. Welcome to the group and I know you will find the support here that you are looking for.

I'm winding down for the night. Didn't get much accomplished today but I was able to stick to my food plan and took in more than 10 glasses of water for the day. I'm going to try to get on the scale tomorrow for the first time since starting back. I know I have put weight on since January so am a little worried about where I'm at. I'll have to deal with it and work from there. I'll change my ticker to reflect the change, got to stay honest with myself. Have a good night and will chat tomorrow. Charlotte
  • annglenn
    annglenn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Saturday-food issues- Wow now that is a long story. I have dealt with an eating disorder all my life. My diagnosis is Bipolar/eating disorder. So as we all know some days are better than others. And the last few days have really been bad for me. I have been eating a lot of processed food which means a lot of sodium. I have high blood pressure which means I should not be eating this amount of sodium. But have any of you ever had your body just crave sodium. I get like that some times. Because of this problem I do not keep salt in my pantry. Feedback welcome.

Monthly challenge- drank 13 glasses of water today yeah. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Welcome to all our newbies to the group. I see that there are several.

Charlotte- hope that you are enjoying your time off.

Josie- Hope you did well with the dinner tonight. I was thinking of you. Sometimes it is hard to count calories for a more dense meat like beef. Hope there is no snow tomorrow and some sunshine.

Kathy- what a pretty photo of you!

Merrygrannie- I understand the lack of structure! Every since I retired it seems like my world is scheduled by doctor appointments and cleaning house and fighting depression because of such a schedule. I hope as I lose weight this will get better.

:flowerforyou: To all the dear ladies here as we support each other & see you tomorrow. Sleep well. :yawn:
  • JosieMomGramma
    Options
    Merrygrannie: Welcome to the group. With mutual support & encouragement we can do this!

Charlotte: i do love bowling, but it can be hard on my back sometimes. Last night for instance, I suffered badly in my back & knees. I took a muscle relaxer, arthritic tylenol & put heat & linament on it , but it took a long time to fall asleep; so I too slept in this morning! Good for you sticking to your food plan & water intake, that is half the battle. Don't let the scale ever scare you, let it encourage you to keep trying; it will eventually move in the right direction! It's just a tool to keep us accountable, lol.

Lori: Great choices on your outing!

liha0808: Welcome to the group. May you beat the cancer for the 2nd. time & get to a healthier weight along the way too! Hope you receive support here & give us some as well!

bettyjo: Welcome! I too do not think diets work & have tried pretty well all of them, lol. Smaller portions of healthy foods & exercise are definitely the healthy way to lose & to create a new long term lifestyle. Splurging once in a while is ok too! Hope we can all help each other accomplish our goals as we share & encourage each other! Thanks for starting off your first day with encouraging words to a couple of our ladies, that is awesome!

I did splurge a bit tonight at our fundraiser dinner, had a drink I have not had since Christmas as it was held at a pub. Also went into a silent auction of beautiful basket of all kinds of things. Bid on one that was I thought full of baked specialty breads & cookies, but down in the bottom were some hand make chocolate , soooo had to splurge & try a few, hubby ate the rest.
    Did not get exercising in today as my body was still in pain from last nights bowling.
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    While i am not in this age group, I am a mom of 4 kids and i work full time on nights and needs to lose about 100lbs or so. I am open to friends of all ages if anyone wants to add me :flowerforyou:
  • JosieMomGramma
    Options
    Banana Split Bites
    Entire recipe: 182 calories, 3g fat, 37mg sodium, 34.5g carbs, 3.5g fiber, 20.5g sugars, 7.5g protein --
    FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE USING WW: PointsPlus® value 5*
    Crunchy peanuts, creamy strawberry yogurt... What's not to love?
    Ingredients:
    1 medium banana, sliced into 16 coins
    2 oz. (about 1/4 cup) fat-free strawberry Greek yogurt (like the kind by Chobani)
    2 tsp. finely chopped peanuts
    Directions:
    Lay banana coins on a large plate or platter. Evenly top with yogurt, followed by peanuts.
    Freeze until yogurt is firm, about 1 hour. Eat up!
    MAKES 1 SERVING
    These sounded interesting as a low cal treat, I have not tried it yet, but thought you might like to, Josie
  • LauraJayne8digs
    LauraJayne8digs Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am new to all of this. I have been using my iphone to enter everything. Now that it is on my PC, it will be easier to enter everything.
    This is the first time I am even seeing message boards and this one is perfect for me. I look forward to 50+ thoughts on all of this, instead of my 20 something daughter giving me her "do's and don'ts". She It is a totally different world STARTING to get healthier and thinner et my age than her age. I am in accounting and this is the height of tax season, so I hope to find the time to come back and read and post on this board. Once I enter this, how do I come back to this exact message board. {{ I have never done a message board before, excuse my ignorance}}. HAVE A GOOD DAY, ALL!!!!
  • JosieMomGramma
    Options
    Hi Laurajayne: Welcome to our group hope you can get some encouragement here on your weight loss journey & healthier lifestyle. We are all in the same boat here & in need of support from each other. I am soon going to change this group to under the groups heading in a week. Right now you have to go to the Message Board, then to Motivation & support then on to our group "Women 55yrs. & older with 75lbs or more to lose!" I will let all of you know where to go when I change this.
  • JosieMomGramma
    Options
    Thought I would post this again in case you did not see it the first time I posted it & for the new gals!

This group is getting quite big already! 27, possible 3 more of us already. I am planning to change the group to under groups on the Message board & make it an exclusive group. Closed to others until the time we need more from some falling off. I plan to do this on the 1st. of April. It is so much easier to keep up with all the comments with a smaller group of supporters. I will let you know when I do this.
  • annglenn
    annglenn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Wow yesterday I consumed 3,783 sodium. And I have high blood pressure so I should really be watching this issue. Isn't it ironic how you can go through meals, days or even weeks in a self induced fog & not even bother to notice what you are actually eating. At least that is what I have been doing. And then I skip meals or exercise more to try to balance things out. I haven't taken my blood pressure today but I know I need to. The weird thing is I have healthy things in the house to eat. :sad:
  • bettyjoburdett
    Options
    Good morning ladies,

I had a really good day on Saturday. I ate healthy, and turned down candy, chips, and my favorite, crusty french bread (ouch). I was able to get away from my caregiver tasks for and hour and went to the gym. It was a little tough doing my routine after being away for a while but oh boy did it feel good later! I felt pride that I did it and slept really good.

I have a little suggestion for those who crave chocolate but want to stay within their daily calorie limit. Dole makes chocolate covererd, frozen strawberries. They are 60 calories for a pouch, and the chocolate is the dark, rich kind. There are 4-5 strawberries to a pre counted portion. Being a carb freak, and loving any kind of sweet, this is the perfect treat for me. I usually have a packet for snack 2 times a day.

Isn't it nice that we all know and understand the struggle we share? Trying to explain to people what compulsive eating is like is just impossible sometimes. I am excited that we will all have a lower weight by April. I know we can do it.

I would like some friends if anyone is interested.

Betty Jo