My running partner annoys me

2»

Replies

• MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Bravo, Shorerider!!! *standing ovation* Well said. There was a thread about this several months ago - very interesting. I agree wholeheartedly.
  • emmab3ar
    emmab3ar Posts: 110 Member
    I have to say I totally agree with you.

Thanks so much for taking your time to write that and reminding us to RESPECT others feelings. I REALLY appreciate that.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    My two cents...

Your running partner has issues. You obviously are a much kinder person than I am b/c I would be sooooooooooooooooooooooo over running with her. If you enjoy working out/running alone then you should be able to do that. If it hurts her feelings, then oh well. You are under no obligation to feed her insecurity issues, especially if it is making exercise time unpleasant for you.

Exercise is tough enough without having someone there to make you miserable. I am an exercise by myself kind of gal. Working out with a friend just cramps my style. I find I spend too much time gabbing and not focusing on the goal. I do ride my bike a few times a week with my hubby, but other than that my exercise time is ALL ABOUT ME ME ME ME ME!!! Selfish, maybe, but I enjoy it more with my ipod on and everybody else OFF.

I would just tell her the truth and tell her that you prefer running alone. Who can argue with that?
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    I agree with the respect thing however overweight/bad feelings are not exponential. I may have 80 lbs or so to lose to anothers' 20lbs. Do they only get to feel 1/4 as "fat & ugly" as me?? Just because their weight is lower doesn't mean they can't feel, and express those feelings, about their own image. How we receive those comments is really about our own stuff. Our own goals, our own struggles and our own success!!!! When it comes right down to it we really should promote a positive environment for all beings. When I first began and someone wanted to lose 5 lbs to look good in their bikini I was like 'get off my screen' now I say I have to lose 5 lbs too - JUST 14 TIMES!!

Shore - Always a pleasure and an education reading your posts

We are all beautiful to someone even if not to ourselves.- YET
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    I should add-my main point in posting was to express my belief we should all try to love ourselves as we now, too. If we don't love ourselves now, then who is to say that changing our weight will change that? Our love of ourselves--and I'm not talking vanity here but self-respect type love--should not be based upon our physical looks.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Shorerider you hit the nail on the head. I have been having this inner battle myself lately. I need to love me now because when I reach my goal if I haven't made peace with my body, losing that weight won't make a difference...I'd likely just set a new goal that might be unattainable.
    And your previous post about how people describe themselves without realizing how it might make the next person feel is a great reminder that everyone has something they are dealing with and we should be supportive of others no matter what the goal weight is. (sorry for the run on sentence)
    Thanks for this eye opener!!! :drinker: :drinker:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    My son does that, always talks about how fat he is. Please!! He's six feet tall and I think he said he weighs a whopping (my word not his) 148 pounds. I just want to reach up and smack him but I'm only 5"3" and I can't reach that high. :laugh: