Women 55yrs. & older with 75lbs. or more to lose!

Options

Replies

• bettyjoburdett
    bettyjoburdett Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies, i know I just posted but I have an idea. I hate drinking water, it makes me gag, but someone wrote a post who is a nurse that diet soda does not count as the 8 glasses a day. I would like to challenge anyone else who fails on the water thing to drink at least 5 glasses a day and chart it in the food diary. How about it?

Betty
  • kinnurse0754
    kinnurse0754 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies, I've started my day off with exercise for the first time in months. I got up feeling pretty good so decided today was the day. I weighed in and have adjusted my ticker to reflect the increased weight from when I was on MFP back in January. I had lost 16 pounds and then gained 10 back so am starting today with an accurate weight. I spent over 1/2 an hour working out on my Wii and drank 4 glasses of water while I did it.
    I'm going to have something to eat and get out of the house for awhile. Maybe I'll go shopping for a bit, pick up a few groceries and then maybe go see a movie. I find when I'm off for more than a few days I can very easily become reclusive. So I'm going to make the effort and get out of the house and keep up the motivation I've started my day with.
    Hope everyone is having a great w/e . Charlotte
  • JosieMomGramma
    JosieMomGramma Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Ann: Isn't it funny how we all know how to eat healthier & yet make such wrong choices! then feel guilty after we consume it!! Hope you will watch the sodium as we don't want you to have a BP spike. That would not be good. I tend to love salty things too & am on BP pills, 2 different kinds & a water pill every day. Premade packaged foods are real bad for high sodium! Try to stay more to the natural foods ! And I will too!!

BettyJo: so nice to hear someone stayed on track over the weekend. Nice getting an hour to yourself & using it to do something healthy like going to the gym!! You are an inspiration!

Charlotte: Sounds like you started the day with an excellent exercise routine! Keep that up & those 10lbs. will melt off quickly! Hope you had fun shopping & @ the movies
  • annglenn
    annglenn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Well the sodium count is down 1000 mg. today but still to much. I was looking @ my log in today & realized I do much better to start the day off with oatmeal instead of my home made breakfast tacos which takes a bigger bite out of my total calories.
    Josie- thanks for the feedback on blood pressure meds. I take 1 prescribed medication & 2 prescribed water pills per day. So tomorrow is another day & a new start.
    Monthly challenge- just drank my 8th. Glass of water. :drinker:
  • dpm14
    dpm14 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Ladies, this is my first time on MFP, and my first time to respond to anything online about my weight! I am 59 and I am watching my weight go up and up. I am so sad and preoccupied by my failures....night eating is the worst over eating time for me. But reading your posts made me feel inspired, so here I am. Thanks for the honesty and encouragement that I see in your posts. Makes me not feel so isolated! It is 4:00 in the afternoon and I have already hit my calorie limit for the day.....
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Hi dpm! Glad you joined us. Its tough when you don't have calories for evening food. Maybe you could take a quick walk for 15 minutes and earn a hundred calories or so, then eat an apple or orange or some almonds later, or even a salad. Tomorrow is another day. You can do this. Its such a great feeling when the scale starts heading south! Again: YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
  • annglenn
    Options
    dpm14- glad you joined us. I have had a day like that today & have not even gotten to the point of eating dinner. I have to watch myself though because sometimes I try to make up for some of the calories by skipping a meal. The problem with skipping a meal for me is I wake up late in the night really hungry & over eat. So my goal today is to try to eat a light dinner.
  • merrygrannie
    merrygrannie Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have always hated the thought of drinking water,much less 8 glasses.I think it helps if you drink through a straw.I use a 16oz glass and that takes care of 2 glass at once.I try to keep a bottle of SPARKLING ICE on hand to break up the bland taste of water.I love the flavored water but mostly drink plain water.
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    sorry but i cant identify with the challenges surrounding getting enough water in as it is my drink of choice!! hot, cold, flavoured or just out of the tap i love it all the time!! In fact, if i go out somewhere without my water bottle, i feel like it is a crisis :happy:
    making a moose roast in my slow cooker today. Recently purshased the slow cooker so i hope it turns out well. Been enjoying the smell of it simmering all day. REALLY wanting to stay on track this evening as i have not been doing well with evenings the past while
  • DaniC1959
    DaniC1959 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good evening from South Louisiana! Just turned 55 last Tuesday and have 100+ lbs. to lose. I am new to MFP and I am so glad to have found this message board! I am looking forward to getting to know y'all.
  • CrochetGrammy
    Options
    I am 57 and have the same things as everyone else here -- arthritis and fibromyalgia limit me on my movements. I need to lose weight to be able to move easier. I am scared. I have a love affair with food. I need to get a divorce from the food. I am looking to find support, encouragement and any ideas to help.
  • JosieMomGramma
    Options
    I have had a real struggle with food & exercise this weekend, other than bowling friday night!!! I started to obsess over food after I posted tonight & started to eat when I most definitely should not of. I am scared to get on the scale tomorrow. All I can do is hope for a better day tomorrow & a successful week ahead!

DaniC: Welcome to the group & Happy Belated Birthday! Hope joining our group will give you the support you need to succeed at your weight loss journey.

CrochetGrammy: Welcome to the group! Love the way you put your weight gain as a love affair with food & need a divorce from food. It is to bad it is unlike quiting smoking which you can do cold turkey & go totally without. But food is a necessity for our existence. Learning to eat healthfully in smaller portions & exercising has to become our new lifestyle, to lose this excess baggage! It's not easy & we all need support! Exercise is hard when dealing with arthritis; I know that personally. We have to try diffferent things & take it one day at a time! Looks like you have a couple of furbabies that would love to go for a little walk. I find it hard to walk too far with such pain in my feet & knees from arthritis. Wish I could walk without pain but that will have to wait until I lose much more weight & probably get knee replacements in the near future.
  • JosieMomGramma
    Options
    Thought I would post this again in case you did not see it the first time I posted it & for the new gals!

This group is getting quite big already! 29.. I am planning to change the group to under groups on the Message board & make it an exclusive group. Closed to others until the time we need more from some falling off. I plan to do this on the 1st. of April. It is so much easier to keep up with all the comments with a smaller group of supporters. I will let you know when I do this.
  • debbie7373
    debbie7373 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I just found this group tonight and would like to join please. My name is Debbie and I'll be 55 in July. I started mfp in September of last year. When I started I wanted to lose about 85 lbs. I still need to lose around 60. I also have arthritis, bad knees due to falling off the back porch then falling a few more times after that, a cyst on the bottom of my left foot and a partially dislocated tail bone. I think that covers it all....lol. I don't think I'm aging very gracefully! :grumble:

I'm having a difficult time with late night unhealthy snacking that just started a couple of weeks ago. I tend to eat when I worry and have been worried about some family members here lately. I need to get rid of all the unhealthy tempting foods that are here in my house. Seems like getting rid of them has been by putting them in my mouth instead of the trash....lol. I've got to STOP THAT!

I'm looking forward to reading what y'all post and sharing with you all! Here's to a good week! :drinker:
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday Ya'll !!! :flowerforyou:
    I had a great weekend. My kids (adult) and I went out to eat (I have not been out to eat in well over a year)
    We went to The Outback Steak House (I am not a big beef eater, but do crave it once in a while)
    My Point; I stayed with in my calorie etc budget and got exactly what I wanted. Steak, Lobster, Asparagus & a salad ----555 Calories :noway: I did go prepared, I took my homemade salad dressing and my greek yogurt (instead of sour cream) not sure what I was going to order by ready none the less.:wink:
    I guess I had to share this because I was so excited. Also having good days does not happen all of the time.
    My daughter (Katie) and I have this thing of when we have "good, Happy" days we share it with each other and remind each other to savor the day. That way when we have not so good days it reminds us that we also have great days. I am rambling. ( be prepared, I do that often) :yawn:
    I am so happy to have found this thread. I love having so many women in similar points in our lives!
    I will try and keep up with ya'll. There are lots of posts. I am terrible with names, but will try and learn.
    Thank you all for being here. Go out there and have a better than terrific week!! :drinker:

Lori ( from TX)
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    OOPPS! Was going thru and trying to catch up on some posts and realized I already posted about my "Out Back excursion ":noway: ( Well shows where one of my age things is kicking in :laugh: ) uugh, a wee bit forgetful...
    I did see some posts to comment on..
    Sodakat; I too just uploaded a "real" picture of me. That is me on the left and my daughter Katie ( she just turned 30 a few weeks ago). This picture was taken a couple of years ago, at probably my highest weight.
    OK, now I am going to check up on here a little more often ( and try not to repeat myself)
    Here is to a good week for us all :drinker:
  • LauraJayne8digs
    LauraJayne8digs Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    In response to hating water......
    I, personally always hated water also. I now have a 28 oz container that is with me all day (after my morning tea). I will not eat anything until I slurp on that water. I have to have it with lots of ice, as I love it cold. And (which some don't agree with) I use water additives and have many flavors which I switch out a lot. I , (BECAUSE of the additives) now drink three to four of those a day. So if the additives help me drink water, it is GREAT for me. I figure as I get used to it, I can always lower the flavor level (that's the goal). AND I also use a straw, as someone mentioned earlier.
  • kinnurse0754
    kinnurse0754 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies, I see we have a couple of new ladies joining us in this long journey to health. Welcome ladies, glad you found our thread before we go private. It is so nice to find a group where everyone is in the same point in their lives. Its not that I mind sharing my thoughts with a younger woman, but I don't think someone in their 20's or even 30's can truly understand what we are going through when we are edging toward our 60's. Life hasn't been good to all of us and its nice to be able to share with women who understand because they are there themselves or have been. So a big thank you to all of you for being here and for being willing to share your stories so that we all grow and learn together.

I finished off my day yesterday with a bit of shopping and by going to the movies. I have to say, I'm very proud of myself. Not only did I make some great food choices when I did my grocery shopping but I bypassed the food counter at the movies. I don't think I've ever gone to the movies without popcorn before but I had checked the calorie count on the theatre popcorns before going and could not justify spending over 400 calories on a small popcorn. I love popcorn but its nothing but carbs and I'm so proud of myself for avoiding it. Instead I came home after and made myself a very well balanced meal. By the way, the movie was "Divergent" and it was really good. I had read the book series so was really looking forward to it and it didn't disappoint.

So, I'm going to get some housework done today and hopefully my taxes. Do we burn calories doing our taxes?? lol Anyway, hope everyone has a great day today and don't forget to drink your water. Charlotte :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Linda8989
    Linda8989 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies! I'm so happy that I found this group this morning!

I'm 65 and have about 70 lb to lose. About 5 yrs ago, I weighed over 300 lbs when I finally decided to do something about it. Got down to 217, was feeling great, then my health took a hit. One surgery and a bunch of meds later, I've jumped back up about 30 lbs and am now ready to get back down and beyond where I left off. I am meeting with a nutritionist on Wednesday, although truthfully, I already know exactly what I need to do. I just need that accountability right now, though.

I see your Monday topic is how the weekend went. Well, mine went fairly well and I tried to stay within my calorie range. I went a little bit over each day after I listed every single item I ate. I sometimes get careless about those late night eats, but I'm bringing my diary to the dietician on Wednesday, so wanted to be completely truthful about where I'm at. So that is my good thing for this weekend: enjoying it, sharing a scoop of Baskin & Robins ice cream with my daughter, but listing IT ALL!

Have a great week!
  • annglenn
    Options
    :smile: Ok it's a new day and a new week. I really messed up this past week and gained 2.2 pounds. I looked back over the days at what I had eaten and it is no wonder that I have gained weight. Yesterday I was blaming my overeating on the negative words that someone had said to me. Today I have to tell myself that is there garbage and their problem. It only becomes my problem when I take it on by becoming depressed and over eating and today I refuse to give that person that power.

Monday-planning for healthier week I already have salad mix, tomatoes in my frig. and making a run to Sprouts market later today for some apples. So I will have some good fillers for my plate plus healthy snacks.

Monthly challenge- on my way to 8 glasses of water got 2 in now. :drinker:

Goal for myself today is to post food before I eat it to see if I do want to eat it. Now I hope I stick to this one because it is a busy day and I have an Eating Disorders counselor appointment and speech therapy.

Signing off for now. Will check back in later. Have a great day ladies. :flowerforyou: