waist measurements(females only )

Options
hi all :) i have a question..from where do you have to measure your waist?? some people say at the narrowest point some say at navel/belly button.. like when i read someones waist measurements i always wonder at what point she must have taken it? what does the general public do?
also, i would like you pretties to share your weightloss and waist measurement :) thanks !

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I measure up high, at the narrowest point. I think this may be called the "natural waist" I'm not sure though, but when I got measured for a dress the tailor said to measure that point as my waist. So that's what I go with, so I know that I'm on the same page as my tailor.
    Anyway, I started my journey at 202 lbs. I currently weigh 135 lbs. I'm almost 5"8 tall, and my waist is 27 inches right now.
  • marinashakeel
    marinashakeel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I measure up high, at the narrowest point. I think this may be called the "natural waist" I'm not sure though, but when I got measured for a dress the tailor said to measure that point as my waist. So that's what I go with, so I know that I'm on the same page as my tailor.
    Anyway, I started my journey at 202 lbs. I currently weigh 135 lbs. I'm almost 5"8 tall, and my waist is 27 inches right now.
    i have the same waist as you :) i am 5'0 and 124lbs :)
  • tamarad1990
    Options
    I agree with thorsmom05 I also measure at the most narrow point. Im 5'8, 155lb and have a 30 inch waist, but ive only just started my journey so maybe a couple of inches off in a couple of months fingers crossed :).
  • 1971MLJ
    1971MLJ Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yup narrowest point. I'm 5'3, 126lb and 24.5inch waist.
  • Tigredia
    Tigredia Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Lump
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm 41yrs old, 13stone, 34 inch waist. 5ft 8
    My body fat content us 27%

Rather than look at the scales I want to drop to 22% body fat and 28 inch waist"...
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I don't think waist has the exact same position in every women's body, for me it's a bit low since I've got a big ribcage :) just try to find the smaller point. Mine is 29" I'm 5' 5" and 140-145 in weight :)
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    23 or 24 inches, I like to fit into vintage dresses. :)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I personally, record my measurements on paper, and I also measure lower just to see if its changed. I measure my hips, arms, and thighs as well. And every month I write it down and see the changes. Sometimes its more telling then the scale anyway :-)
  • arubababy
    arubababy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 6 146 pounds and my waist is 36.5 inches though i measure around my belly button. Reading this i may find the smallest point so it's smaller and i feel better :-)
  • rdkstar
    rdkstar Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My narrowest is where my belly button is. But that could be because i am tall at 5.10
  • littleamy94
    Options
    Well done you!
    I measure mine at the narrowest point too, i have problems hip measuring though.
    I started my journey at 182lbs, i'm 5'1 and my waist was 39". I am currently 164lbs and my waist is 30"
  • wapan
    wapan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I measure at narrowest point which is about 2 inches above my belly button. I'm 5"5 and weigh around 128 lbs and my waist is 26.5 inches. I'm pretty happy with that.
  • Dposh67
    Dposh67 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I measure 2 points. At my bellybutton point and above my bellybutton going up towards rib cage.
    My bellyfat seems to sit low so I measure that area to see if it decreased.
  • ashleyblossom1
    ashleyblossom1 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I measure the narrowest point for my regular waist measurements and then I measure the fattest part because I feel like that's more important to worry about. I don't care about the tiny part if the rest is still fat. :tongue:
  • thejadegirl
    thejadegirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have a big waist for my weight lol. I also measure at the narrowest point. I'm 5'2" with a 28" waist at 117 pounds.
  • meglizbo
    meglizbo Posts: 42
    Options
    I measure at my natural waist (the narrowest point), right on my belly button and just below. I get progressively larger as I go down my body so I like to track all three spots to see where I am losing! I tend to lose from my natural waist first, and the under my belly button spot last (grrrr, silly tummy fat).
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I measure waist at narrowest and hips at widest.

I don't know what my waist size was at my largest, about 36-38 inches I think. It's currently 29 inches. I'm 5ft 4in and weigh 158lb (72 kg). But I'm weird shaped and have huge (huge!) hips.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I always measure my waist at the narrowest point of my torso-- that's what the waist is. :) I also measure around my tummy at bellybutton level and at the widest point of my hips (the widest point of the hips, which is often down around your buttocks, is what's measured for hip size for clothing).

I'm 5'1" and my waist is presently somewhere around 26.75 inches. I weigh about 110 lbs right now.
  • marye2021
    marye2021 Posts: 225 Member
    Options

First off GREAT job!

Second yes the narrowest part of your waist is called you natural waist line. This will vary in position on people because our body shapes are so different.

SW 220 waist was 40
    CW 188 waist 35
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!