Terrified to walk in to Gym..just bought membership

Options
I usually work out at home with videos but working as a preschool teacher...Im exhausted when I get home so I havent been exercising like I want so I joined 24 hour fitness to work out on my lunch breaks...Im terrified to walk in...I dont have a game plan, dont know where to begin...I dont know what to wear! Lol...I dont want to stick out like a sore thumb and I cant afford a trainer...Please any tips, advice, encouragement would be great! Yes I know Im being a baby...

Replies

• mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    First off, don't be scared. Everyone at the gym is there for the same reasons ... to get healthy. Whether it be to gain muscle, lose weight, ...if you are there, people at the gym respect that.

I know sometimes people that are more fit than you are intimidating. It took me 4 weeks to do certain things at my new gym because I wasn't comfortable yet. Once I did it, I realized no one was even looking at me, and now I just don't care what I look like lol

What are your fitness goals? Are you just wanting to do cardio? Weight lifts? There are a lot of great workouts for beginners online and using youtube to make sure you are doing the lifts correctly are available if you do not want to seek a trainer.
  • UFITYETXX
    UFITYETXX Posts: 38
    Options
    I want to lose about 20 pounds and gain muscle for sure. I will definitely watch some lifting videos. Great idea. Thanks!
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Usually most of the gyms have one introduction work out with a trainer free. Check with your gym, if they do have an intro session free. If they don't, just decide what you want to do based on your goals. No one is perfect, just do to your best of the abilities and remember you are still much better than folks who sit on the couch eating donuts.
  • Fiona_Cami89
    Fiona_Cami89 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared, you have as much right as anyone else to be in there! From personal experience, it is daunting walking into a gym where there are gym bunnies hopping around and muscly men pumping iron, but eventually you'll get to the 'what does it matter what they think' stage.

As far as outfit choice is concerned, I would say, pick something comfortable and loose/nice and airy (nothing worse than skin-tight clothes on sweat, am I right?! haha).

If you're really unsure about where to start, ask someone who works there, that's what they're there for! They're getting paid after all, might as well ask them how things work/what they recommend. Or just try things out on your first visit, see what you enjoy! You're paying, you call the shots! :) x
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I think no matter how one looks, everyone is always worried about what other people think. So I just remind myself that they're thinking about themselves, not me. And you have a right to be there as much as anyone, right? Give yourself the freedom to try different things and stick with what you like to do. I went from weights and cardio and walking to yoga and cardio and running. I switch it up when it starts to get boring.
  • michelefm1l
    michelefm1l Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I first started and still feel that awkwardness at times (everyone else looks skinny, I don't know how to work this machine, what if I'm doing it wrong....etc) I finally had to get to the point that I don't care what I look like or how awkward it is figuring out the machines. Just walk in like you're a pro at it, and watch others to see how they operate them. Or you can always ask somebody and they'd gladly demonstrate it for you. Good luck!
  • frinkeaa
    frinkeaa Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I find that using an MP3 player blocks out people and it makes your workout more entertaining as well. Watching YouTube videos as well as having the proper shoes and equipment will make you feel even more confident! I was scared for a while too, but it really doesn't matter because everyone is there for the same reason, you'll do great.
  • caveninit
    caveninit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I usually wear leggings or capri length jogging pants and a t- shirt to the gym. Most people don't really pay much attention to anyone else, so try not to be nervous. You can start easy..jump on one of the bikes or treadmill to start. Most gyms do an orientation for new members if you ask..at least the gyms I have joined do..where a trainer takes you around and shows you how to use the machines. Have fun!
  • UFITYETXX
    UFITYETXX Posts: 38
    Options
    You guys are awesome, thanks!
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I hung out on the elliptical or treadmill and watched what other people did.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    The first day, i did not overwhelm myself. I just focused on getting on a treadmill and walk. The next time I went, my focus was to get onto a machine that I knew how to use, and so forth. Eventually, I felt comfortable going into the gym and knowing what I was doing.
  • NotAResolution
    NotAResolution Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    When you get there you will quickly find people that are in the same boat you are in. Most folks will gladly answer any questions you have. Everyone went to the gym for the first time at one point.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    It's funny how the gym can psych you out. I was out of the gym for two months due to an injured foot and then being sick and it was like this weird mental block to get back in the groove.

Just do it. The first time it's weird, but not as weird as you think. Find one thing you're comfortable doing (the treadmill is my thing) and just do that for a bit before branching out. Don't worry! :)
  • gonefishin1282
    gonefishin1282 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The MP3 player is a great idea...I usually plug my ear buds into my phone and jam out to some Pandora on my phone.
  • luadams2
    luadams2 Posts: 122
    Options
    I cannot work out without earbuds and some good music. Tune everyone out! Enjoy that workout!
  • Birthdaygirl56
    Options
    Everyone offered great advice. You might even find a work out partner there. My experience is that people will respect you for taking those first steps and then coming back. Please let us know how you progress!
  • Jengirton
    Jengirton Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also advise just walking; take it slow until you get used to the environment. Just remember you have every right to be there! It will get easier, so don't give up!! :-)
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Op I almost snapped my neck in two under the squat rack and nobody even stopped to check if I was okay. You'll be fine.
  • beanerific518
    Options
    Think about your first day at anything new: school, job, etc. You were probably nervous thinking you would feel like an outcast, not belong, etc. And now those things feel like old hat. The gym is no different. So be strong, take this first step, and in a few months you will be able to smile about how you are feeling right now. Just remember most people at the gym just keep to themselves and do their thing.

A plan is always key to setting a goal, no matter what that goal is. Luckily we live at an age where so much information is at our fingertips. I have heard that New Rules of Lifting is a great book for those just getting into weight lifting. Maybe for cardio sign up for a 5K in 8-10 weeks and do the Hal Higdon 5K training plan. If your budget allows, perhaps a few sessions with a personal trainer.

Good Luck!!
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    You're doing the right thing. Courage!

As with most things in life, most people in a gym go with the purpose of using the gym for what is for: working out. And most are reasonably courteous. It is just that we tend to remember the sss-hats more.

I suggest looking for the coach/person in charge of the gym. There is almost always one (otherwise there are insurance liabilities). Say hi, I am new and terrified! Most will laugh, and set you up with an introductory session where they will describe the protocol for the gym (e.g. are there maximum use times for the cardio machines? can you reserve in advance?), and teach you how to use the machines safely.

Even better, some will actually help you to design a workout plan according to your objectives. Note that sometimes these people are not really experts (e.g. physiotherapists, registered coaches, etc.) so your mileage may vary. But since you're a beginner everything will be new, and it's better to receive some guidance.

If the people in charge are jerks I'd avise finding some other gym. An healthy workout environment starts with the right personnel - if that doesn't exist then you'll get no help if someone else is being unpleasant to you.