Buying clothes in your goal size.

Options
124»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    One or two sizes down, yes, but I honestly still have no idea what my ultimate size will be.
  • MarKayDee
    MarKayDee Posts: 196
    Options
    I have this adorable houndstooth skirt, when I bought it I couldn't get the zip more than an inch or so zipped, now it fits (very snuggly) as I lose more and my natural waist shrinks and shifts lower I can zip more and wear it more comfortably. It was on clearance when I bought it, I spent $4 on it.
  • sphkhn
    sphkhn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I don't do this only because I'm living just above the poverty line, but I do have a couple goal outfits in mind that keep me motivated. I have never worn a cute summer dress or bikini, and every time I visualize how great I would feel in one of these items, it keeps me running on that treadmill or doing those crunches. So they will be my rewards when I lose the weight!

This is closer to me than buying ahead - in fact not being able to wear my existing clothes is scary to me; as I don't have money to buy smaller clothes - even second hand is expensive for my poor budget! But my form of exercise is walking (its free :smile: ) and I have started a jar of change that I find walking in hopes that I will be able to afford some new clothes. I will alter clothes as I can. I am almost slowing my dieting to accommodate my clothing budget - bras are the worst as I won't buy them used.

Try figleaves for new bras they have all sizes big small and everything in between and they have really good clearance like 8 dollar bras! I just had to buy two in between ones but I am sure I will need different ones later.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I'm a size 18, UK. I bought a pair of suit trouser, just before Dec, but I couldn't fasten the button at the waist. Two months later, but with no weight loss, the trousers fit perfectly. I've lost overall 2 ins off my waist and hips, and the scales haven't even moved. I also bought a pair of jeans, size 16, which I hope to wear sometime this year.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I find clothes shopping depressing enough, so I don't find buying clothes in sizes I'm not to be personally helpful. xD I do have some jeans I'd like to fit back into that are smaller sizes, so I just keep those around.
  • mdallas6
    mdallas6 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I buy a size smaller than I am so it's a great visual to see the jeans finally go over my *kitten* and button! It's a great visual and motivator!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Only if it is on clearance/sale and only a size MAYBE 2 sizes smaller...otherwise, I'll just pass.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Clinton and Stacy from want said to only purchase clothing that fits. My secretary said not to do so because I would loose motivation as soon as the half way clothes fit.
  • _cdaley
    _cdaley Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes! Bought a gorgeous pair of Joie pants a few weeks ago that are a size too small and hung them up for motivation. I am currently a size 10, looking to get back to my regular size 6/8 self. Little tip- if you can, do this at Nordstrom or Bloomies. If you lose the weight and the item doesn't fit right for some other reason, they will literally take anything back or do an exchange. Happy shopping ;)
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I think it's motivating to buy clothes in a size slightly smaller than you are now. I did this while losing weight, got them at the thrift store. I don't think it's a good idea to buy clothes in your goal size. I wouldn't have found it very motivating to look at a size 6 when I wore a size 22. The goal size jeans you buy now may never fit due to style/cut. I have size 4's that fit perfectly and size 10's that are snug.

That's a great idea! I always want to buy a goal size 6 or 8 but when I get to the store I'm always like, "I'm not paying for that!!" Goodwill is doable. Or Plato's Closet.
  • loosinginches2802
    Options
    The replys on this are amazing & some great advise given. The charity shop/good will shopping is such a good idea. It's great to hear what worked for other people. I think I need to remember not to go crazy, which is hard!

I never thought the clothes may be out of style which is a good point but I think I would still wear them as by that point they would have been on a huge journey with me! Lots of people also said my body will change and I never thought a bout that either, I don't know where I will gain muscle, or if my body shape will change . This is why I love hearing other's opinions and more importantly those who have been through a weight change journey.

The other night I was struggling not to snack, I'd drunk a glass of water, tried to distract myself - all the usual. But in the end I went onto an online shopping app I have on my phone, and imagined what I will look like a year from now, and put all the things I would want now, but would never wear in my shopping basket (in a smaller size.) I never bought them, but this motivated me not to snack. I am surprised at how much clothes are motivating me to keep on track. But I think after years of getting upset in dressing rooms and having to go to plus size shops, with a smaller range of styles clothes are playing a big part in my weightloss.

I think I will stick to the two items of 'goal' clothes I have already have, and use them as a motivator, I do have 5 goals altogether,until my ultimate goal so will maybe treat myself when I've accomplished these!!

It's also so inspiring to see everyone's weightloss counters and how much they have lost. Seeing people at my start weight that have lost how much I need to loose is amazing.

Thank you for all the great ideas and advice

Xox
  • teeya1984
    teeya1984 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i have never bought an article of clothing that would be my ultimate goal size...but i have bought a lot of clothing that is about two sizes smaller than what i would be at the time i purchased them. I find this is amazing motivation - especially if i really like the clothes i bought.

setting a goal is a great way to motivate yourself...and thats just what you are doing! my advice would be, dont be to rigid with dates - i remember a couple years ago i said i wanted to be a certain weight for my 28th birthday. When i didnt reach that weight in time i got so discouraged and i completely gave up on my weight loss journey. In the last two months i have finally smartened up and come back to mfp :)

Good luck! ox
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    The other night I was struggling not to snack, I'd drunk a glass of water, tried to distract myself - all the usual. But in the end I went onto an online shopping app I have on my phone, and imagined what I will look like a year from now, and put all the things I would want now, but would never wear in my shopping basket (in a smaller size.) I never bought them, but this motivated me not to snack. I am surprised at how much clothes are motivating me to keep on track. But I think after years of getting upset in dressing rooms and having to go to plus size shops, with a smaller range of styles clothes are playing a big part in my weightloss.

I do this too, on Pinterest! I have a 'Style' board that is full [I mean like 2,500 pins] of my favorite styles, but a lot of it is stuff I could never wear at my current size. Now that I'm actually losing weight, albeit slowly, I LOVE to look at that board & think about all the things I might be able to wear a year from now that I can't wear now. I also think about stores I used to avoid because half their clothes didn't fit me [like H&M & Forever 21] & how awesome it will be to walk in there & fit into anything in that store I want to!
  • nmncare
    nmncare Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of clothes from 6+ years ago that are my goal size so I haven't bought clothes. But recently I bought these two amazing bikinis. I have one in my room and the other in my work out room in the basement. It keeps me motivated. I personally think its a great idea :) You got this, girl!

Edited for spelling. Whoops. :)
  • clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    All. The. Time!
    I just did that the other day, bought a maxi skirt and a mini skirt as motivation!
    I usually don't by anything TOO small, maybe just a size smaller in jeans or a skirt so that I can keep trying them on to see if how much better it fits. Eventually I don't check the scale and I can tell how much I lost by the clothes I can fit into.

I will say though that buying smaller clothes alone in itself isn't the biggest motivator. I've gained and lost and gained and lost so many times and still have a closet of smaller clothes that I hope to fit in eventually.
    However, I will say that when you lose weight, THROW ALL THE LARGER CLOTHES AWAY!!! And get rid of the stretchy stuff that lies lol. I do that, so for me once clothes get tighter its a do or die: I have to lose weight or I'll literally have no clothes to fit in :)

I'm so doing this. I've put on about 20lbs from my lowest weight, so all the smaller clothes I was fitting into are too small (and all the goal clothes are even further away now). But, 'fortunately' I kept some size-above jeans. So now I have jeans that fit me. But, it just meant the 20lbs crept back on. As soon as I'm out of these size jeans, they're going!
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I buy what fits at the time.
    If I don't like my current size, I don't shop.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have only done this once- knowing I'm going to be cutting and I'll be down back to last summer's size soon.

But I could put ON the clothes- uncomfortably and with much jumping- one was a pair of very high wasted J-Lo pants- that were AMAZING- and only 28$ the other was a dress one size down- it's too short- and it gaps weirdly the size up from me was way to big- and the current size that fit was going to be obsolete in a matter of months- they are both hanging patiently in my closet. they were on sale and I know they fit.

But- no normally I would never do this- I only buy stuff I need- or "really really want" (need is a strong word) but my boss is pissed i"ve been living in stretchy pants- so I've been trying to break out my "to big" wardrobe to appease her since it's a little nicer- albiet not well fitted.