True or False - Burnt fat releases past toxins...

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    You can shrink your fat cells but until you cleanse to release the toxins your body won't release the fat cells. That is why a full body cleanse is so important.
    You can't "release" fat cells........................they are part of your anatomy unless you surgically remove them.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    idk. i do know that some vitamens are 'fat soluable', so they would be absorbed by fat, i suppose some 'toxins' may also be absorbed.

i'm not sure what has to happen in order for the cells to release the vitamens (or toxins) tho.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    You can shrink your fat cells but until you cleanse to release the toxins your body won't release the fat cells. That is why a full body cleanse is so important.
    You can't "release" fat cells........................they are part of your anatomy unless you surgically remove them.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member

i'm not sure if i agree with this or not. I know at one point they thought that your body could only produce new fat cells at certain points in your developement (like adolescence). I guess the idea was that they would just get bigger rather then multiply.

but this has since been proven false if i remember correctly
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    Speaking as a chemist, it's true that adipose tissue (fat) accumulates fat-soluble chemicals, some of them toxic. Examples, DDT and its metabolite DDE, and other persistent (an now mostly illegal) pesticides, as well as a class of compounds known as dioxins. The levels in fat are usually very low, in the range of a few parts per million, which means that if you're losing weight at a moderate rate, the amount of these toxic substances released back into your bloodstream is very low. Except possibly for some of the dioxins, which are incredibly toxic, the amounts circulating in your blood should be well below the amounts which would have any health effects. Of course, that is spoken in the cold light of science, and I'm sure there are people who take exception to that.
  • Nu_Primal_Me
    Nu_Primal_Me Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't doubt that there are toxins in our bodies, but I find it interesting that what they are called, how they are measured before and after cleanses, etc. seems to be very vague evidence/information...what is really going on in the 'toxin' world seems to be a black hole...so can they be released during fat loss? Perhaps...but what are their names and how do you know what the levels were like in your body before and after?
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    It's not on Snobes.com..
    So No.
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    By the way, fat-soluble toxins stay in the fat. They are not flushed from the body by drinking water or "cleansing." It's simple Chemistry 101.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

i'm not sure if i agree with this or not. I know at one point they thought that your body could only produce new fat cells at certain points in your developement (like adolescence). I guess the idea was that they would just get bigger rather then multiply.

One can increase the amount of fat cells in their body. You can't "rid" them unless surgically removed.

IDEA Fitness member
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Toxins are removed from our body when we sweat, urinate, and/or defecate. So I suppose while we are burning fat, we are eliminating the excess out through one of these methods so I suppose you could say that we are getting rid of it through that process.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

One can increase the amount of fat cells in their body. You can't "rid" them unless surgically removed.

IDEA Fitness member

why is it that other cells seem to have a shelf life but fat cells are supposed to last as long as you do?

actually it might be the same for brain cells... don't know that you can make more of them so i suppose then they are meant to last lol
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'm nursing, and everything I've read cautions breastfeeding moms from losing weight too fast. According to Breastfeeding and Human Lactation (3rd Edition, Riordan, pp 440), it is noted that fad or rapid weight loss programs should be avoided because fat-soluble environmental contaminants and toxins stored in body fat are released into the milk when caloric intake is severely restricted.

So as far as toxins getting released through weight loss, it appears to be true. I'm not sure about whether or not you would feel bad from the release.

In all my years of breastfeeding, including reading a lot of info from La Leche League and other breastfeeding organisations, I've never come across this

not saying it's not true - it could well be - but the biggest danger in excessive food restriction while breastfeeding is that it can cause problems maintaining adequate milk supply, and/or it can cause nutritional deficiency diseases in the mother (and possibly the baby too if the restriction is severe enough).
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It's an idea that I've come across a few times over the years...

As you gain weight, your fat cells collect and hold toxins, perhaps for years.
    Then, when you burn the fat and lose weight, the toxins are released back into your system and make you feel awful.

Has anyone else heard of this?

If so, during your weight loss, have you felt sick, lightheaded, nauseous, etc? Could this be the cause?

That's called under eating. If you feel sick, lightheaded, nauseous, eat a hundred more calories a day.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    It's an idea that I've come across a few times over the years...

As you gain weight, your fat cells collect and hold toxins, perhaps for years.
    Then, when you burn the fat and lose weight, the toxins are released back into your system and make you feel awful.

Has anyone else heard of this?

If so, during your weight loss, have you felt sick, lightheaded, nauseous, etc? Could this be the cause?

That's called under eating. If you feel sick, lightheaded, nauseous, eat a hundred more calories a day.

This...not because toxins are being released.

Eat more food.
    when-can-we-start-eating.gif
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm nursing, and everything I've read cautions breastfeeding moms from losing weight too fast. According to Breastfeeding and Human Lactation (3rd Edition, Riordan, pp 440), it is noted that fad or rapid weight loss programs should be avoided because fat-soluble environmental contaminants and toxins stored in body fat are released into the milk when caloric intake is severely restricted.

So as far as toxins getting released through weight loss, it appears to be true. I'm not sure about whether or not you would feel bad from the release.
    In all my years of breastfeeding, including reading a lot of info from La Leche League and other breastfeeding organisations, I've never come across this

not saying it's not true - it could well be - but the biggest danger in excessive food restriction while breastfeeding is that it can cause problems maintaining adequate milk supply, and/or it can cause nutritional deficiency diseases in the mother (and possibly the baby too if the restriction is severe enough).

This is a problem with River Dolphins and other mammals with high body fat that are routinely exposed to environmental contaminants - especially the ones that put on a lot of weight during the winter and shed it during the summer. I tried to do a paper on the subject for an undergraduate biology class and couldn't find any resources about this in humans. At which point I had a discussion about the biology of it with my professor. It's not typically a problem for our species.

However, if I can remember to do it, I'd love to read your reference just because of my undergraduate difficulties.
  • raneylfrick
    raneylfrick Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Ummm....ever heard of LSD flashbacks??? It is stored in your fat cells, and as your body works those cells around and burns them off, the LSD is released again. It can take a looooong time before this happens (decades), but it does happen.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Wut? No.
  • hei_ma_ma
    hei_ma_ma Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I did a nice long "full body cleanse" last night - just me, a bathtub of warm water, some bubble bath, and a good book for 20 minutes straight. Does that mean I can expect to lose 2 pounds today???
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Ummm....ever heard of LSD flashbacks??? It is stored in your fat cells, and as your body works those cells around and burns them off, the LSD is released again. It can take a looooong time before this happens (decades), but it does happen.

Anecdotal evidence here... I did plenty of acid in my early 20's (I'm nearly 40 so at least 1 decade has passed), being obese the whole entire time, and never had a flashback during my weight loss process. You'd think at least a few of those fat cells would be just chalk full of LSD if this was true. Mostly though - science. Your body doesn't work the cells around or burn the cells off, they just shrink. Your body converts the fat to usable energy and the waste is excreted in sweat and urine and breath. The only way to get rid of fat cells is to have them surgically removed.

No one needs to do cleanses or worry about any of this crap. Come on people - get serious!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Holy three year old thread resurrection. Batman!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://toxsci.oxfordjournals.org/content/67/1/46.full

"Organochlorine compounds are released from body fat into the bloodstream during weight loss. "

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v24/n10/full/0801380a.html

"Organochlorine pollutants were found in every subject and all 19 compounds detected had their plasma concentration increased following treatment (mean body weight loss 9.5 kg), 15 of which were statistically significant. When compared with a control group, five compounds increased significantly. "