Weighing in 1 day a week vs every day

Options

Replies

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Every second Sunday I weigh and measure myself!
  • MissLCWolff
    MissLCWolff Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I officially weigh in on Monday mornings, but I generally weigh myself 2 or 3 other times a week just to check in on how I'm doing/reassure myself that I didn't ruin all my progress because I ate over goal a couple times.
  • ketiab08
    ketiab08 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday. But only record once a week on Wednesday.
  • deliacm
    deliacm Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, but I will only record it in MFP when I have three days at/below the weight I'm going to record. Doing it this way, I don't record a weight that may have been a fluke. Like this past weekend, I weighed myself and was three pounds lighter than my last weigh-in; unfortunately, the evening after and next morning had me back where I was the days prior. I knew the scale was lying!
  • bmbaldridge
    bmbaldridge Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I weigh about every other morning, but I only log my weight on Thursday mornings. My weight fluctuates a lot from day-to-day (water, time of the month, number of workouts, scale calibration, etc.) so I try not to put too much stock in unofficial weigh-ins. If I find myself focusing too closely on the number on the scale, I only weigh-in on Thursday mornings.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    A few of you posted about recording daily loss in a spreadsheet!
    As already mentioned; the 'Libra' app does it all for you and rather nicely...

uTqgqxqJ7ijLT_qEo5FV8cinRm6z1jckh9GdCWyQVbTlt3bgYfuJ-DYJrVLngzcyMQ=h310
  • Zelinna
    Zelinna Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    When I was losing, I weighed every day and recorded once a week. I found that weighing daily helped me figure out how certain foods/ times of month would affect my weight. This in turn helped me not to freak out over the fluctuations in my weight, as long as the overall trend was down.

Now that I am in maintenance, I try to just weigh once a week and will hopefully reduce that as I feel I am successfully maintaining.
  • hatsumi141
    hatsumi141 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, so that I have a constant reminder to stay on track. It can be quite the motivator.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I weigh in everyday and log it but dont count it as official weigjt until fridays
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    My weight (like most folks) fluctuates a bunch during the week, and when I'll see a low during the week is pretty unpredictable, so I weigh daily, record it if it's a new low, and shrug it off if it isn't. As long as I'm hitting my calorie and exercise targets I know it'll keep going down so I don't stress on the upticks. For me, a weekly weigh-in would make that day "too important", since if it wasn't a decent amount of loss I'd have to wait until a week had passed.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day and plot it in excel and then plot a trendline. This trendline is what I pay attention to. The daily variations don't bother me.

I do this too. Your weight fluctuates depending on water, salt, and fiber intake, and other factors having nothing to do with calories. Using an exponentially weighted average can help you filter out the noise and focus on the trend, as John Walker explains in "The Hacker's Diet" (http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/). The chapter on "The Rubber Bag" explains, briefly, the source of these fluctuations. The chapter on "Signal and Noise" explains how some simple math can filter them out. Walker explains how to do the math, but you can also set up a free account on his server to do it for you, or use a service like Beeminder or TrendWeight.com.
  • elkhunter7x6
    elkhunter7x6 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I officially weigh in on Thursdays, but weigh every day morning and night so I can see the patterns in my weight fluctuations.

I do the same but my official weigh day is Monday.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Every day, my opinion is that if you're afraid to look at the scale you're not doing something right or you're trying to fool yourself.
    make the scale your friend, it's only there to help you and only you control what it tells you.
  • sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I weigh in maybe once every two weeks. One time I weighed in once a month and I ended up having lost nearly ten pounds. I find it really nice that way.
  • KhatLady
    KhatLady Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I weigh several times a day, but the only one that counts is the first one after the weekend. That should be my highest point for the week.

All the others are more to watch how much my weight is stabilized. If i'm fluctuating a lot over the course of the day, I probably need to watch the salt or drink more water. If my weight suddenly shoots up for no good reason, I'm probably gearing up for girly issues and I know to take that into account both for "valid" weight and to steel myself against insane cravings.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I work nights so I don't even bother weighing in once a week. I just kinda jump on the scale whenever. When I get a day shift job I will start weighing in weekly. If you feel the most confident by weighining in on Friday, then weigh in on Friday. Who cares what works for everyone else, do what works for you.
  • hawkeyedave1981
    Options
    I weigh myself daily first thing when I wake up in the morning. I've just learned that I can't get discouraged though with minor fluctuations up and down, because that happens. It's having a long term downward trend that matters the most.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily and I'm a big fan of doing it. Seeing how the numbers fluctuate from one day to another has helped me NOT obsess over my weight.
  • hawkeyedave1981
    Options
    Another advantage of weighing in every day is that it makes it easier to pinpoint what part of your diet is causing you to gain weight, or conversely, what part of your diet is helping you to lose weight. If you suddenly gain 2 pounds in one day you can just go back to the previous day and see what you ate.

If you weigh in once a week, it becomes more difficult to figure things out.
  • mrsBrown1989
    Options
    I weigh in every single morning, first thing before eating anything.

I have a digital scale that shows it like "135.4" so I can see a more specific number. If I didnt have that I wouldn't weigh in every day.