How “Clean Eating” Made Me Fat-Article

Options

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I don't see that it's much different than other "it's not my fault I got fat" articles. Choosing to believe unrealistic claims of 'eat all you want an still lose weight' is just as ridiculous no matter what diet you follow or what supplements you take.
    Where in the article does he say "eat all you want and still lose weight". He eats what he wants within his calorie and macro goals.
    I think she was referring to how he ate back when he was on the paleo diet. He ate too much; he gained weight.

Exactly. From the article:

"See, because of Paleo’s lack of accounting for calories, and it’s tendency to recommend low-carb, but higher-fat food sources, my calorie intake was through the roof. As I’d not been allowed some of my favourite foods like oats, rice, cottage cheese, beans and bread, I’d compensated by filling up on more of the foods I was allowed. End result = a “healthy” diet that had made me overweight."

I don't see how thinking you can eat unlimited amounts and lose weight as long as you follow Paleo (which is arguably not the same as "clean eating") is much different than believing you can eat all like and lose with anything else. It all shows a lack of common sense.
    I have seen more than a few posters on this site and others claim that it is nearly impossible to get fat eating 'clean' or 'paleo'
  • random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I don't see that it's much different than other "it's not my fault I got fat" articles. Choosing to believe unrealistic claims of 'eat all you want an still lose weight' is just as ridiculous no matter what diet you follow or what supplements you take.
    Where in the article does he say "eat all you want and still lose weight". He eats what he wants within his calorie and macro goals.
    I think she was referring to how he ate back when he was on the paleo diet. He ate too much; he gained weight.

"See, because of Paleo’s lack of accounting for calories, and it’s tendency to recommend low-carb, but higher-fat food sources, my calorie intake was through the roof. As I’d not been allowed some of my favourite foods like oats, rice, cottage cheese, beans and bread, I’d compensated by filling up on more of the foods I was allowed. End result = a “healthy” diet that had made me overweight."

I don't see how thinking you can eat unlimited amounts and lose weight as long as you follow Paleo (which is arguably not the same as "clean eating") is much different than believing you can eat all like and lose with anything else. It all shows a lack of common sense.
    I have seen more than a few posters on this site and others claim that it is nearly impossible to get fat eating 'clean' or 'paleo'
    Oh, I agree. And given you can eat veggies in coconut oil, almond butter (hello, meet my spoon), and all sorts of things high in calories, it wouldn't be that hard. You would have to assume you were eating mostly calorie sparse foods, but because there are no guidelines for calories or macros, you can't guarantee that. I can easily throw back a paleo approved salad that's 800 calories. If I did that for all three meals (plus snacks), I'd be way over my calorie goals.

I think the above poster agreed with the premise of the article, but it really just seems kind of duh. I also have a feeling she hasn't seen the hundreds of other threads on MFP that completely ignore logic and promote eating as much as you want as long as it's clean. At least that's what I'm hoping. Because I living in a magical world in my head where people are logical...
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Great article. And the comments section of it looks just like on of MFP's clusters. LOL
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

As have I. That does equate to clean eating making the dude in the atricle fat.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Valuable article to those who think just because their eating healthy they should lose weight. Quantity over quality every time for weightloss.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options

Exactly. I actually read the article and it was fantastic. I've dieted before and had success, but it was hell. I'm not not dieting, I'm just eating 1700 calories a day. And I still have ice cream, pizza, fast food, chips, soda, alcohol .... IN MODERATION!

And I don't have the need to binge and pig out because I am not eliminating anything. I look great and I am excited what the next few months have in store :)

Thank you for the share!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Valuable article to those who think just because their eating healthy they should lose weight. Quantity over quality every time for weightloss.
    Absolutely. But people are able to lose and maintain their weight loss without counting calories. I do it. I just have to eat whole foods and severely restrict my carbs while I'm at it and I'm good -- my appetite (calories) regulates itself. It's a valid approach that can (and does work) for many people. It's more sustainable -- for me -- to eat to satiety and exercise when I feel like it than to count calories and exercise daily in order to "afford" to eat enough to be happy.

As long as people realize the "eat as much as you like" claims are relying on your new clean-paleo-primal-lowcarb-whatever diet to reduce your appetite so you spontaneously eat less I don't see a problem with those approaches.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Just because it did not work for someone else, does not mean it wont work for me.

As a matter of fact, IT IS WORKING FOR ME.

I shall continue as I have been.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Just because it did not work for someone else, does not mean it wont work for me.

As a matter of fact, IT IS WORKING FOR ME.

I shall continue as I have been.

No one said you couldn't. But I will eat your ice cream.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I haven't finished it yet (I'm out of it today and can't focus too well), but I read most of it. It actually is an interesting read and I encourage people to try reading it before they start bashing it.

I don't think all these diets that involve cutting out things you love are a good thing in the long run. Not only will it deprive you of things you love (face it, alternatives are rarely ever the same... only time I have found them to be better in my case was PB2.. yum), but they should not be thought of as weight loss methods, anyway. They are lifestyles. Just as I hate seeing people go vegan to lose weight (I have actually known this to be a gateway to eating disorders in a couple close friends), I hate seeing people say they want to go paleo or what have you to lose weight. The motivation should not be weight loss, but because you really believe in the ethics/morals/etc of the lifestyle.

The reason people gain weight is because they eat in excess. It's as simple as that. Pizza does not make anyone fat. People eating four slices instead of 1 or 2 is what makes them fat. If I want to eat pizza, I'm going to eat pizza. And *gasp* I, too, use splenda in my coffee.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    In for the total awesomeness of this thread!
  • JodieSmith15
    JodieSmith15 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    this is why I highly recommend my fitness pal to my friends as opposed to weight watchers. on their new plan you can eat as many fruits and veggies as you want...obviously it implies portion control but when some things have points and others don't it gives people the green light to consume pointless foods til no end. I've lost 10 pounds in the first six weeks of using my fitness pal combined with an exercise program and I wish I could get back every last penny I wasted with weight watchers but the least I can do is let people know they are in the right place with mfp.
  • random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    After all the "a calorie is not a calorie" type threads/train wrecks I've lurked on recently, this was quite refreshing. Thanks.
  • notthatNaomi
    Options
    Awhile ago, I was reading about doing a Whole 30 (never did one) and there is an eating plan/guideline. So, I don't understand the people who say that there are no rules/you can eat as much as you want if doing Paleo? The Whole 30 is the same as Paleo, right -if not even more strict than Paleo.
    This is the meal plan:
    http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf
  • MelWilB137
    MelWilB137 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Great post to read- thanks. I can totally relate to the sentiment as a 'big eater.' Many of my 'naturally thin' non-exercising friends, eat whatever they want but never eat much.
    PS. Now I need to find cardio article others referred to
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Aren't you the same guy who posted the "cardio makes you fat" thread?

Eric posts a wealth of interesting things.

The cardio makes you fat thread was, however, particularly awesome with all the panties it twisted. Especially since I'd guess 75% of people didn't read it.
    If I really wanted to tick people off I would post a link to the T-Nation article that came out today called "The Jogging Delusion".

that is a great article. especially the first line.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    in…to see how the clean eating zealots react to this one...

read the article and enjoyed it ….
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I read this article earlier and I enjoyed it.
    It reminds me of some of the people I know IRL.
  • tahneesummers88
    tahneesummers88 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I LOVED this article. This was actually me!! I am also a recovering clean eater. I have done it twice now.. and both times lost weight. Then failed and put it all back on. Trust me when I say clean eating is not all it's cracked up too be. I restricted myself so much that I binged harder than ever before after a week. And let me tell you that week was HELL. I've been using MFP for a week now and what do you know.. I've lost just the same amount as I did "clean eating" and its EASY. It's a lifestyle for me now :-)