Women 55yrs. & older with 75lbs. or more to lose!

Options

Replies

• dpm14
    dpm14 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for your encouragement and sharing real lives. This is just what I need to keep from feeling isolated.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    A good weekend for me too, even though I went on an unexpected road trip. Ate a McDonalds hamburger without cheese on Saturday and enjoyed a coke in the evening at the event. I am so happy that coke is only 140 calories a can. Now, I'm really not a big soda pop drinker, despite my screen name (It is derived from the nickname for my state, South Dakota --sodak, plus my name, Kathy) but since I'm not much of an alcohol drinker either, coke is my drink of choice when socializing, especially in a bar. I sipped on those 140 calories with ice, for hours. It was great!

On the way home yesterday (5+ hour drive) I stopped at a large grocery store and bought sushi from their sushi counter in the deli and some cooked shrimp from the meat market, then ate that in the car. It worked for me. Only ate 6 of the 9 pcs of sushi because I wanted to save some calories for supper.

This morning when I got on the scale I was pleased, which is of course motivating.

Here's to a good week, everyone!

Kathy
  • JosieMomGramma
    JosieMomGramma Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Debbie7373: Welcome thanks for sharing!
    LauraJay: I too love ice in my water. Those water flavour aditives cause me pain as it irritates my irritable colon. Good for some people though. So I stick to lemon & orange wedges or just like it plan most of the time. Sometimes I put orange or cranberry juice just a splash into it too.
    Charlotte: Thanks for commenting on being nice that our group is similar age & health issues. Hence the reason I started this group. I too wanted to have a group of ladies who could relate to my struggles at our age group & age health situations. Super job by-passing the snack bar at the movies!! Good for you!
    Linda8989_ Welcome to the group. Being truthful & journaling all we eat is half the battle as we see the reason we are going wrong, good for you. Hope we can help support you on this journey to get you back to your previous goal weight & even lower.
    Ann: I too put 1 lb. on over the weekend; so today is a new start for me. We have to remember not to beat ourselves up over a little gain, but be prepared to chang our eating & exercise ways to turn it around. Sounds like you have done that by shopping for a healthier menu, drinking your water, seeking help & posting all your foods! I too have planned my menu for today & plan to do this each night for the following day & sticking to it!
    Kathy: Good choices on your trip!

Karen: Where are you girl?? Hope you are doing ok & healing & taking care of yourself. Lets hear from you!!
  • sodakat
    Options
    Ann and Josie I doubt you gained fat from your indiscretions in eating, because remember it takes 3500 extra calories to gain a pound. More than likely some not great food choices caused you to retain water. Onward! Lets have a loss by everyone in this group this week. :)
  • sainsworth25
    sainsworth25 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is my first post here. I'm 64 and have over 100 lbs to lose. Eating provides comfort and security for me, and I'm stuck. I have to change this way of eating, but food has such a powerful pull. I'm determined to fight this thing. I don't have any close friends nearby, and want to follow this group to see how others are managing this problem. I'm risking all kinds of cardiovascular trouble if I don't shed this fat, this year.
  • bettyjoburdett
    bettyjoburdett Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    This is my first post here. I'm 64 and have over 100 lbs to lose. Eating provides comfort and security for me, and I'm stuck. I have to change this way of eating, but food has such a powerful pull. I'm determined to fight this thing. I don't have any close friends nearby, and want to follow this group to see how others are managing this problem. I'm risking all kinds of cardiovascular trouble if I don't shed this fat, this year.

Welcome to our group, you are amoung friends who share the same struggles as well as successes:flowerforyou:
  • bettyjoburdett
    Options
    In response to hating water......
    I, personally always hated water also. I now have a 28 oz container that is with me all day (after my morning tea). I will not eat anything until I slurp on that water. I have to have it with lots of ice, as I love it cold. And (which some don't agree with) I use water additives and have many flavors which I switch out a lot. I , (BECAUSE of the additives) now drink three to four of those a day. So if the additives help me drink water, it is GREAT for me. I figure as I get used to it, I can always lower the flavor level (that's the goal). AND I also use a straw, as someone mentioned earlier.

I think adding the flavors to water is a great idea. i have never understood why iced tea and flavored water is not counted, after all its just water with flavor! But i did drink 5 small glasses today, yuck.............I just don't like it, but i put out the challenge so i need to be a good example:ohwell:
  • bettyjoburdett
    Options
    Debbie7373: Welcome thanks for sharing!
    LauraJay: I too love ice in my water. Those water flavour aditives cause me pain as it irritates my irritable colon. Good for some people though. So I stick to lemon & orange wedges or just like it plan most of the time. Sometimes I put orange or cranberry juice just a splash into it too.
    Charlotte: Thanks for commenting on being nice that our group is similar age & health issues. Hence the reason I started this group. I too wanted to have a group of ladies who could relate to my struggles at our age group & age health situations. Super job by-passing the snack bar at the movies!! Good for you!
    Linda8989_ Welcome to the group. Being truthful & journaling all we eat is half the battle as we see the reason we are going wrong, good for you. Hope we can help support you on this journey to get you back to your previous goal weight & even lower.
    Ann: I too put 1 lb. on over the weekend; so today is a new start for me. We have to remember not to beat ourselves up over a little gain, but be prepared to chang our eating & exercise ways to turn it around. Sounds like you have done that by shopping for a healthier menu, drinking your water, seeking help & posting all your foods! I too have planned my menu for today & plan to do this each night for the following day & sticking to it!
    Kathy: Good choices on your trip!

Karen: Where are you girl?? Hope you are doing ok & healing & taking care of yourself. Lets hear from you!!

I am here too:happy:
  • sodakat
    Options

So glad you joined us! Just think if everyone of us in this group lose 1 pound a week -- in a year we will all be 50 pounds+ lighter and as a group we will be thousands of pounds lighter. I'm really excited, for the first time in YEARS, that I will get to a much lower weight. I chose 80 pounds but the more I think on it, I might need to lose 90. I finally feel like I can do it!!

High blood pressure warning is what finally woke me up. I could just kiss the nurse practitioner who gave me the physical to drive school bus last fall, because she impressed on me how much better my life will be if I lose weight to control BP. 7 and 1/2 more pounds and I will have lost 1/10th of the body weight I carried the day of that exam. That was my first goal. Well, I guess I first wanted to lose 10 pounds, but I was always thinking about 1/10th of my body weight as being substantially helpful. I might achieve that by early to mid summer. It just seems unreal that I am doing this. So glad I am.

Kathy
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options

are you sure you are 64??? you sure dont look it. Welcome to our group. We help each other along the way. I also have 100 pounds to lose but can only think of 25 for now
  • JosieMomGramma
    Options
    Sainsworth: Welcome to our group; hope we can help you with some support, suggestions, & encouragement along your difficult journey !

Kathy: Glad hyou are on the right track to weight loss successes. Keep on sharing as it is so inspirational to us!

Karen: I agree thinking of the 75-100+ lbs we need to lose is too overwhelming, so if we make smaller goals to achieve it may become easier to reach them. Good to hear from you!

I had a good day calorie wise & exercise in & water in. So very happy with that!
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Welcome Sainsworth ! I too had over 100 #s to lose. It is coming off slow but sure and the healthy way. We are here for you.!
  • merrygrannie
    merrygrannie Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Sainsworth I have 74 lbs to lose.I'm 67 and I see this as a great group to be in.I'm trying to figure out how to fix a meal and break in down per nutritional value.I made a meatloaf for dinner but didn't eat any because i didn't know how how many calories it would be.I couldn't post it MFP for that reason.Any suggestions anyone?
  • sodakat
    Options
    Sainsworth I have 74 lbs to lose.I'm 67 and I see this as a great group to be in.I'm trying to figure out how to fix a meal and break in down per nutritional value.I made a meatloaf for dinner but didn't eat any because i didn't know how how many calories it would be.I couldn't post it MFP for that reason.Any suggestions anyone?

There are a couple ways to figure the calories. One is to list each ingredient by the portion you ate. So if you used a pound of hamburger, an egg, 2 oz cracker crumbs and 1/2 cup tomato sauce (and onions etc if you use them), when you take the meatloaf out of the oven weigh the whole thing, then weigh the portion you eat and do the math on the ingredients. You might end up with 3 oz ground beef, 1/8 cup tomato sauce, etc. for your portion. I often do this when I make chili.

The other way to do it is to use MFP recipe builder: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/box Just add each ingredient and the number of servings to the chart and MFP will tell you the calorie and nutrient breakdown! You can also import recipes from other websites. It is GREAT!
  • JosieMomGramma
    Options
    Merrygrannie:
    Also when you are breaking down a meal like meatloaf to post don't forget to save it under Quick tools , then remember meal. As it will put it into your heading my meals in case you make it again , so you just have to click on that meal & it will post it to your food journal for that day!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, been here for over 800 days. Have recently gained 20lbs. I work from 2pm till 10pm snd just find that I am so tired all of the time. Night time eating is a problem for me. Cant stop at a serving of gelayo must eat the entire container. But I am determined to get there. Trying to ease exercise back into my life.
  • merrygrannie
    merrygrannie Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for the information,it will be a big help.I didn't know about this app.and it will definitely come in handy.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I do all my recipes like that. It is great. But Please do not save/share to data base ( at the bottom it asks you) As that goes in among everything in there. :flowerforyou:
  • dncbev
    dncbev Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 62 and very active. My weight has crept up over the years since menopause. I think the lack of hormones makes it difficult for our age group to loose. I started using this program a week ago and was surprised how much logging your food helps. It makes you aware of everything you eat or drink. I've also stepped up my workouts. I wear a pedometer so I know how many steps I've taken. Sometimes eating out is tricky. We are retired and my husband likes to dine out. I have lost 5.6 lbs. The project o gram tells me I'm not eating enough. My goal is to loose 20lbs by the end of May because I have a dance performance and I want to be able to wear all those summer clothes that I can't wear. Thank you for posting so we can support each other .:smile:
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Started reading on page one then jumped to page six. I'm Laura(can call me yard or tigress so we don't get confused) I'm 57 and have 81 pounds to lose. I'm a diabetic and eat a snack between 9 and 10 at night so my blood sugar doesn't sky rocket while I sleep. Sometimes I only eat half of my dinner and eat the other half later, that's if I'm out of calories. I usually have 2 cups of low sodium/low fat beef broth, half an apple sliced thin(gives you lots of crunch) a babybel cheese. About 160-200 calories worth of food. I like the apple cause of the crunch. Whenever I'm really hungry I have broth, only 30 calories. Just a few ideas :smile: