How “Clean Eating” Made Me Fat-Article

Options
13»

Replies

• Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    If I really wanted to tick people off I would post a link to the T-Nation article that came out today called "The Jogging Delusion".
    [/quote]

That was worth the read just for the LOLz.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    If I really wanted to tick people off I would post a link to the T-Nation article that came out today called "The Jogging Delusion".

I just read that and agree….
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    In to read later.....long @ss day and sleep is calling me!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options

Having being doing quite a bit of running (jogging, mostly :) ) recently, I was ready to be angered, but it's mostly fair, I'd say - a tad biased in parts, but not overly so.
    Would say that as generally I fall in to the "all right" reasons by his definitions :).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Having being doing quite a bit of running (jogging, mostly :) ) recently, I was ready to be angered, but it's mostly fair, I'd say - a tad biased in parts, but not overly so.
    Would say that as generally I fall in to the "all right" reasons by his definitions :).

I agree in that it was funny ...nothing wrong with jogging..if that is what you enjoy, then do it ...For me, long distance cardio gets tedious...
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I LOVED this article. This was actually me!! I am also a recovering clean eater. I have done it twice now.. and both times lost weight. Then failed and put it all back on. Trust me when I say clean eating is not all it's cracked up too be. I restricted myself so much that I binged harder than ever before after a week. And let me tell you that week was HELL. I've been using MFP for a week now and what do you know.. I've lost just the same amount as I did "clean eating" and its EASY. It's a lifestyle for me now :-)

Same here! Paleo is a great "basis" for eating...but I was allowing myself way too much to eat and did not lose until I began counting calories.Damn, it was so simple all along!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I don't see that it's much different than other "it's not my fault I got fat" articles. Choosing to believe unrealistic claims of 'eat all you want an still lose weight' is just as ridiculous no matter what diet you follow or what supplements you take.
    Where in the article does he say "eat all you want and still lose weight". He eats what he wants within his calorie and macro goals.
    I think she was referring to how he ate back when he was on the paleo diet. He ate too much; he gained weight.

Exactly. From the article:

"See, because of Paleo’s lack of accounting for calories, and it’s tendency to recommend low-carb, but higher-fat food sources, my calorie intake was through the roof. As I’d not been allowed some of my favourite foods like oats, rice, cottage cheese, beans and bread, I’d compensated by filling up on more of the foods I was allowed. End result = a “healthy” diet that had made me overweight."

I don't see how thinking you can eat unlimited amounts and lose weight as long as you follow Paleo (which is arguably not the same as "clean eating") is much different than believing you can eat all like and lose with anything else. It all shows a lack of common sense.

I have a paleo cookbook (due to IBS I sometimes have to cut wheat/dairy when having flairs from stress) and that was the part that I disregarded. When it said you didn't need to count calories I scoffed. I have made several recipes from it and logged them on MFP. Some aren't bad calorie wise but others were quite high. I will continue to make recipes from paleo cookbooks, as long as they are yummy and fit in my goals. I will also continue to eat out as needed/wanted and have dessert whenever I can. :drinker:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Great article. And the comments section of it looks just like on of MFP's clusters. LOL

Was going to say the same. Aka: expert Steph who thinks drinking 2 glasses of water in the morning kickstarts your metabolism.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Aren't you the same guy who posted the "cardio makes you fat" thread?

Eric posts a wealth of interesting things.

The cardio makes you fat thread was, however, particularly awesome with all the panties it twisted. Especially since I'd guess 75% of people didn't read it.

i didnt even see it and its twisting my panties lol
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Great article
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I have seen more than a few posters on this site and others claim that it is nearly impossible to get fat eating 'clean' or 'paleo'
    Also, this is one thing I hate about the nerd fitness site. He promotes paleo. Overall, it's not a horrible diet since it emphasizes whole foods, lean meats, and veggies (there's just no reason to cut out other foods, and the name is completely inaccurate). But, he often says that it's a good alternative to counting calories, which is far too difficult and tedious.

In theory, you can lose weight not counting on paleo, if you eat the correct portions of the correct foods. I'd think you'd at least need to count for a little bit to make sure you aren't over or under eating. Even if you find counting tedious, it seems like it would make sense to do it for two weeks, and then if a few months later if you aren't losing weight, track for another two weeks.

Personally, I don't find counting all that tedious, and it clearly works.
  • mikes1990
    Options
    Hi guys

I'm Mike, the author of the article.

Thanks for taking the time to read it and debate it. If anyone's got any questions/comments you want me to field directly, head over to https://www.facebook.com/HealthyLivingHeavyLifting?ref=hl