Anyone feel bashed for "gaining weight" ?

Options

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    F#$k the haters. Just dont ever mention anything if they are going to be like that. Do your own thing and don't mention a damn thing about it.
  • FatNFightingIt
    FatNFightingIt Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people confuse skinny with healthy. Someone could be 100 pounds and have plugged arteries from all the bacon cheeseburgers they eat. I also know many heavier people that are the picture of health. Bottom line: You are the expert on your body. If you feel like you would be healthier with more weight/muscle - that's what you should do.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've stopped getting into conversations about exercise with most people I know. I workout hard day because I want to add muscle and everyone else I know seems to be wanting to lose weight. So if I start talking about getting enough protein, or lack of time to exercise, or anything really, I get told "you don't need to worry about that, you're skinny." It's not about skinny for me, it's about being healthy and that's where the conversation should be. But unfortunately it's not like that.
  • kyliesuebam
    kyliesuebam Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've gotten the, "You're already thin, you'll look sick if you lose anymore." Like gee thanks...Sadly it was my grandmother who made that particular comment. A lot of people on this thread have used the, "Wouldn't that be a nice problem to have" comment that has been made to them and I hear this a lot too. Why I yes I love being skinny and feeling like a shaking chihuahua because I have little to know fat when winter comes. I'm not called sexy, just skinny.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I feel sorry for you women who have to explain about gaining weight to other women. At least, it is sort of a normal thing for a guy to say.

I have said this before but losing fat is about a million times easier than gaining muscle (ESPECIALLY for women). I think if more people knew this, they wouldn't be so quick to judge those trying to gain weight. (good weight obviously)
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I'm not where I'd want to gain; you can see from my ticker that I've still got a small amount of weight left to my goal. People will always feel the need to weigh in, no pun intended. You've just got to let it roll off of you. For the longest time, people kept asking me how I was doing it, but now that I'm pretty much done I'm now getting comments like "oh.... you still go to the gym?" or "Oh, you still keep track of your food?" and my fave "you're done."

They are OUR bodies. WE know what's best for them. Ignore the haters and the nosy people who give unsolicited opinions. :)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I've gotten the, "You're already thin, you'll look sick if you lose anymore." Like gee thanks...Sadly it was my grandmother who made that particular comment.
    I get this from my aunts too! They would never in a million years tell me I needed to lose a few pounds, but apparently since I'm on the thin side I'm fair game.

I don't talk about nutrition or fitness with most people, because I really don't want to hear how your mom's cousin's hairdresser lost 150 pounds eating nothing but blue foods, but if you bring it up in a b*tchy way, it's ON. I don't like being confrontational, so I'd rather say something that's outwardly polite but has a little dig. It's actually fun saying things like "You really have no idea how difficult it can be for me to put on weight! I've been eating everything in sight, but I haven't been able to gain an ounce!"
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I feel sorry for you women who have to explain about gaining weight to other women. At least, it is sort of a normal thing for a guy to say.

I have said this before but losing fat is about a million times easier than gaining muscle (ESPECIALLY for women). I think if more people knew this, they wouldn't be so quick to judge those trying to gain weight. (good weight obviously)

I was not completely surprised- I felt like I was going to have to do more explaining- but it definitely happens. It's so laughably hard to put on size for women.

I think when you are already in a place that appears to be fit and you explain you have a new goal for that- it's easier- people can see that you are doing something that works (or was working)- I love when people think I'm some sort of crazed health nut and then go "oh you can't be eating that!!!"

say what?

my quad's say otherwise. it's exhausting.
  • veronicorn
    Options
    I'm five foot and 84 lbs. It's terrible. And I still get people wishing they looked like me or had my problems. Then I'll say that I wish I could have their extra fifteen lbs. I wish people would stop glorifying everyone else's bodies and focus on their own. I have been struggling to gain weight for a really long time now and people don't see why. I tell them I'm underweight and they think of it like it's something good or enviable. They don't understand when I say all the things wrong with me that it is because of my weight, they don't see it as something bad.
  • jmath911
    jmath911 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    People say all kinds of stupid stuff but you don't have to get into the conversation. I talk to very few people about my fitness and nutrition goals and if they make comments I just smile and move on. What you are doing is really none of their business and you shouldn't feel compelled to divulge information.
  • NaturallyandProperly
    NaturallyandProperly Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I guess this post is more geared towards the ladies.

But I am 105 and 5 feet tall. I don't want to gain weight persay, but I want to get toned and that will put weight on me and I am okay with that. If I lose anymore I might start to look unhealthy.

Anyways, people always bash me. "You don't need to lose weight." "If I was your size I would eat whatever I want." "If I was a size 0 I would drive right past the gym." If I even talk about wanting to workout, or eating to tone up, I get criticized. Especially with he dreaded, "I WISH I had that problem." Comment.

It makes me feel self conscious, like I shouldn't talk, or that I should be ashamed of myself.

Anyone else deal with this?

No, I don't deal with that. I guess sometimes people will say.. to be nice.. you don't need to loose weight. OBVIOUSLY I DO. i'm 5'4 and 200 pounds... However, I have conscience of ladies who may be too thin and need help gaining. It goes both ways.. totally get that. You just have to be comfortable with yourself and know that when people comment without thinking.. they are doing just that.. not thinking. This is why woman and men can be so hard on themselves... We have to take control of our own minds and somehow, block out the negativity in people. Good luck to you! :)
  • DianeLynn418
    Options
    I am 5'4" and weigh 120 lbs and come from a family of "eaters". They can't get together without food being involved. I only eat one meal a day and need to put on some weight but don't have the appetite that my family does. I just want to get a routine where I eat 3 meals a day. I am ridiculed every day for not wanting to gorge myself on doughnuts or chips or junk food!
  • DianeLynn418
    Options
    Glad that you are friendly enough and comfortable enough to talk....welcome to the "food club".....
  • judyamk
    judyamk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    DianeLynn
    do not listen to those people. When I was real thin I had so many people saying the same thing to me. I was so mad one time and told them this " if i listen to what you say therefore I will ended up looking like you" that shut them up. Now sad to say I am a humpthy dumpty that looks like them now, and need to get the fat off. I started eating the carbs and not being faithful with any work outs. Years ago I could eat anything never put an ounce on, a s I became older I let the fat creep on . Now I need to do something.
    take care
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Haha I wish I did have that problem, but I'd be like, "Hey I want to go lift with you!" You just need more friends like me! Don't feel bad. It's just that no one likes an overachiever lol. All you have to say is I'm always looking to improve my health and I enjoy my time at the gym. And that should be that. I find that in the real world a lot of people want the results without the work and that's why people make comments.
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Why has exercising become something you only do if you are trying to lose weight? Everyone should exercise - for their health and well being. It isn't just about losing weight. There are benefits for everyone - heart health, mental health, too many benefits to mention.

Personally, I don't discuss weight loss, exercise, diet etc with anyone. I've belonged to a gym for over a year and not one person at my work knows that. Heck, I'm training for a 1/2 marathon and only one person knows that - my cousin, who is training with me.
    . I just don't discuss it. To discuss it opens you up to critics, opinions, and other garbage I just don't care to deal with. There is one woman at work who constantly talks about her "diet" and how she has no time to exercise. I know I'm sick of hearing about it, I'm sure others are as well. What makes me think people wouldn't feel the same way if I were the one doing the talking?

So go to the gym, do what you need to do for you and if you have to be quiet about it, be quiet. Who cares what others think? You do what you need for you.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I guess this post is more geared towards the ladies.

But I am 105 and 5 feet tall. I don't want to gain weight persay, but I want to get toned and that will put weight on me and I am okay with that. If I lose anymore I might start to look unhealthy.

Anyways, people always bash me. "You don't need to lose weight." "If I was your size I would eat whatever I want." "If I was a size 0 I would drive right past the gym." If I even talk about wanting to workout, or eating to tone up, I get criticized. Especially with he dreaded, "I WISH I had that problem." Comment.

It makes me feel self conscious, like I shouldn't talk, or that I should be ashamed of myself.

Anyone else deal with this?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I am a guy and I get similar crap.

I would appreciate people just keep their mouth shut honestly.
    If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything.....
    Of course I am guessing they think they are giving you a compliment.....but it isn't one.....for the person receiving it.

I have just gotten to the point where I just ignore them and go on about my business.
    My life, my body, my choices.

They don't want me telling them how to eat, so then don't say anything about how I eat.
  • jennocide775
    Options
    One of the girls whom I work out with is trying to gain weight as well. She's 5'5'' and weighs 103 lbs. She started doing weight lifting with me. We call each other Batman and Robin. Our weight training coach told her she needs to eat at least 1.5 grams of protein per pounds of body to gain weight. She's doing a fabulous job right now and I love seeing her surpass her goals, no matter how small because improvement is improvement. It's very difficult for her to gain, but at the same time, she's making the effort.

As for me, I'm 5'7" and weigh 160 lbs. My goal weight is to get back to 140 lbs. When I was in the army, I weighed in at that (140lbs) and I could do 100 push-ups in 2 mins, 87 sit-ups in 2 mins, and ran my 2 miles in 16 mins. I even once ran a 1/2 marathon in 1.5 hrs. Many people tell me I "look fine" but it's not about that. It's about getting my physical strength back and being able to do what I was once capable of. Even at that weight, and with a mere 15% body fat, I was told by "skinny-fat" girls that I was "obese". They didn't care what I could do, all they paid attention to was a number.

We all have goals, so find people who support you! And then tell the haters go suck a d*** if they wanna open their open mouth with negative comments.
  • etalley73
    etalley73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    "If I was a size 0 I would drive right past the gym."

"No, idiot, you'd be driving to the gym daily or you'd never be a size '0' in the first place." ignore people like this. they do not understand how fitness works and they are lame.