From Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea to No Sleep Apnea

Options
don3_16
don3_16 Posts: 39 Member
Hello there, I've posted my side-by-side, fat-face pics and other NSV's in the past. Today, I think I got the best one I've had since I started my journey. Since Dec. 2009, I've been officially diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea (although my wife would argue that I've had sleep apnea during most of our 12+ year relationship). When I had my first sleep study in 2009, my Apnea Hypopnea Index (AHI) was over 75. For those keeping score at home, Severe Sleep Apnea is if you have an AHI index greater than 30. During my first sleep study, they had to stop the non-CPAP part of the test in the first 90 minutes because I stopped breathing so many times and my blood oxygen level dipped under 80% saturation. The techs said both of those situations would have been classified as "emergency" situations. There's severe sleep apnea cases...and then there was me...that's how bad my sleep apnea was.

I was drowsy all the time, my wife kicked me out of bed because I was snoring so loud, and I had to sleep sitting up in a recliner because I would literally choke on phlegm, etc. Not an attractive look for anybody. I was so fat, I was choking myself at night.

So since May 2013, through logging my meals on MFP, slowly working in walking, running and now lifting/running at my gym, I've lost 45 lbs. I've gained muscle, confidence and my dignity.

Anyway, I've dutifully remained compliant with my CPAP. The last few months, I've woken up with extremely dry mouth and my doctor said that it was probably time to get another sleep study with the amount of weight I've lost. I got the results of that second sleep study today and I did not get diagnosed with sleep apnea. They did identify some upper respiratory obstruction, but not high enough of an AHI index to classify as sleep apnea...at all.

Part of me can't believe this. I think I'm still going to use my CPAP when I'm at home, although I think I'm going to "self medicate" and adjust my CPAP pressure to the lower settings. But for a guy that has spent the last couple of years embarrassed whenever I needed to take my CPAP out during security at the airport, this is a GREAT feeling. For those that are in a similar situation and just starting out, don't give up...you are definitely worth it!

In case you're wondering, I am 5'10. My recorded weight during my first sleep study was 268 lbs. My recorded weight during my follow up sleep study a few weeks ago was 220 lbs. My neck size when I started MFP in May was 18" and my last recorded size a few weeks ago was 16.25", so yes, I think neck circumference has a lot to do with you sleep apnea.

Replies

• horsebeauti
    horsebeauti Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome in so many ways. Congratulations on the weight loss and loss of the CPAP machine!
  • scrapmum4
    scrapmum4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow that's great. Congratulations on making the steps to better health.
  • redhook6
    redhook6 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story; as someone who was also diagnosed with OSA last year, maybe I need to be a little less lackadaisical in logging with MFP... I'm not embarrassed by my Auto CPAP, but I do think it is a major hassle. I don't know if I can get off the CPAP completely (it's genetic and I have relatives on both sides of my family with OSA), but that would be very nice...
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    A lot of the issue .. is neck circumference with sleep apnea. I was diagnosed in 2008 and honestly .. I never use my cpap machine, but I don't think I am nearly as bad as what you describe. I am going to get another test .. sometime this next few months. I do expect as you did .. that losing weight does go a long way to resolving the issue.

Good luck ..and congrats.
  • NancyMarie13
    NancyMarie13 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    This is so GREAT. I know exactly how you feel and what a victory this is.

DAMN YOU SLEEP APNEA! :grumble:

I cant wait to get some of this weight off and rid myself of that unattractive machine lol. I'm too cute for all that (:

:happy:
  • naturesfempower
    naturesfempower Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    WOW! I hope losing weight will make my sleep apnea go away too. I would love for my husband to come sleep with me again (well, occasionally anyway).
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    So awesome to hear of someone who managed to cure his sleep apnea! I think my AHI was in the 60's, although I never really felt like I had a huge problem. My fiance was much worse and would sleep from the time he came home from work until going to work again, and he was only awake maybe 12 hours all weekend. He was also falling asleep on the drive home from work which was the biggest concern of all. So, compared to him, my needing 10-12 hours of sleep a night to feel normal didn't seem as bad... but yeah, I do have sleep apnea and have been wearing my mask every single time I sleep for the last 3 years, maybe 4... can't remember.

Anyway, it's so nice to hear that there's hope once I'm done losing this weight. I can't even remember what it feels like to just fall asleep without a mask on. Some of the impulses in life are not possible when you're tethered to a CPAP (getting drunk at a friend's house and sleeping over, going on an impulse trip to Vegas with nothing but what you're wearing, going camping at all).

Congratulations! I totally know what you mean about wanting to still wear it. It's kinda relaxing to have that pressure helping you breathe. :P
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's great. GOOD FOR YOU!!!
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Super interesting that 45 pounds made such a huge difference.
  • fausto412
    fausto412 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Super interesting that 45 pounds made such a huge difference.

59 lbs did similar for me. Sadly I've struggled to lose more weight.
  • fausto412
    fausto412 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    wow man, your apnea was out of control. I never was that bad and my doctor said I had severe apnea...forget what my index was but I think it was like 100 pauses a minute or hour. Congrats on getting healthier. Now keep pushing!
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    This is so great for me to read because I've lost almost 20 pounds and have just been waiting for almost 1.5 years to get off my CPAP machine.

I was DX'd in September of 2012 with OSA. They said I stopped breathing approximately 15-18 times per hour and anywhere from 12 to 18 seconds.

I have been sleeping way better since dropping the weight and my neck has gone down in size. I too have been waking up with phlegm, dry mouth, sore forehead (over-tightening straps) and dry eyes (mask leaks). Honestly I never really have gotten used to the nuisances of using a CPAP machine, I just deal with them.

I'm hoping by the time I get near my goal weight (190-180) I can ditch the machine and sleep easy or do like you said and just sleep with a low pressure (4-6 feels really therapeutic when sleeping, I like the constant blast of cool air before I fall asleep). Even though I'm quite sure my wife would like to be able to lay next to me and not get a fan in her ears anymore.
  • Lynnypooh2
    Options
    Congratulations! I bet it feels good! I can't wait until I can get off the machine myself. I too started at 75 times an hour 9 years ago (350lbs then) I've lost weight and then had nose surgery a few years ago. Went back to the Dr (under 300) and he gave me a automatic machine. Unfortunately I still have 2 times an hour and it takes me between 8-9 to start breathing again. He said that when my start breathing # is at a 5 or 6, THEN I could get rid of the machine. I had WLS 4 months ago, have lost 40 more lbs. I still have a ways to go... darn machine still shows me needed it.
  • bcdudley1
    bcdudley1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same situation as you. I was up around 275 pounds with an "emergency" situation when I took my sleep study 7 years ago. I have used my cpap machine every day 100% since then. My neck size back then was around 21". After getting on the machine, I certainly felt much better and more alert during the day.

Lately, I have also been noticing severe dry mouth and have been thinking about going to see a doctor again. I have not seen a doctor about it since my initial test and prescription. I have dropped 60 pounds over the last 4 months. My neck size is down to 16.7" and I am down to 218 pounds as of today.

I use an Auto-cpap and it shows my AHI 's are down to 0.3 compared to the 8.6 when I first started, but this is the report from the machine itself, so not sure how accurate it is. After being on it so long, I am not sure if I would be able to sleep without it.

I guess I will start looking for a doctor and talking to my insurance company about another sleep study soon.
  • altaroxy
    altaroxy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! What a great improvement to your health. Keep up the good work.
  • gitnfit2
    gitnfit2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Amazing personal victory for you!!!! great job and congrats
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    I have the exact same situation as you. I was up around 275 pounds with an "emergency" situation when I took my sleep study 7 years ago. I have used my cpap machine every day 100% since then. My neck size back then was around 21". After getting on the machine, I certainly felt much better and more alert during the day.

Lately, I have also been noticing severe dry mouth and have been thinking about going to see a doctor again. I have not seen a doctor about it since my initial test and prescription. I have dropped 60 pounds over the last 4 months. My neck size is down to 16.7" and I am down to 218 pounds as of today.

I use an Auto-cpap and it shows my AHI 's are down to 0.3 compared to the 8.6 when I first started, but this is the report from the machine itself, so not sure how accurate it is. After being on it so long, I am not sure if I would be able to sleep without it.

I guess I will start looking for a doctor and talking to my insurance company about another sleep study soon.

Dry mouth can also be caused by mouth breathing using the CPAP.

Does your machine have a humidifier? Try turning it up to make the air have more moisture.

You can also look into a chin strap to hold your jaw shut but I can't do that since my nose usually gets stuffy at night.
  • don3_16
    don3_16 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't know why I can't edit/update my original post, but here's an update:

1. I got the copy of my report in the mail today and my AHI for my follow up study was 0.12. An AHI index less than 5.0 and sleep apnea diagnosis is ruled out. So, officially, no sleep apnea.

2. I tried to sleep without my CPAP that first night after I spoke to my doc's office. Not exactly restful sleep, and I think for my own security, I will continue using my CPAP at home. I have adjusted my original 10cm/H2O setting and ratcheted down to 8cm/H2O and the last few nights at 6cm/H2O. Hoping to find the right pressure setting at my current weight.
  • muzichick
    muzichick Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your newer, healthier status!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!