How do I pick a goal if I don't want to go by the scale?

Options
I know when strength training the scale isn't all that important...but then...how to I create a measurable goal? I don't even know what an appropriate tummy size would be...is 32" around my stomach too low or is it realistic? I'm 5'4"

Replies

• mildammm
    mildammm Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Look at sizing at online clothing stores - they have size charts with measurements. What size would you like to be?

Incremental goals are also important - you can adjust your final goal later; you don't need to know where you'd like to end up before you start!
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    SOB. I WAS TYPING A NICE LONG PARAGRAPH AND ITS GONE. FK YOU COMPUTER.
  • lunapetu0311
    Options
    I am making my goal a certain pant size instead of a number on the scale :)

I have been on MFP for 6 weeks now and even though the scale only shows 3.5lb loss - I feel and look soo much better. I have a much flatter tummy and no more "love handles". That too is a wonderful goal I hit :)

Good luck!
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Start measuring strength gains! Those are super rewarding! :)
    I'm too angry to type the rest out. >:(
  • MzHornedOne
    MzHornedOne Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    SOB. I WAS TYPING A NICE LONG PARAGRAPH AND ITS GONE. FK YOU COMPUTER.

Lmao zombri!
  • MzHornedOne
    Options
    So my pre-pregnancy pant size would be a good goal then?
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Isn't 32 on the larger side for a female? I know most guys want to be around 32-34. I thought women wanted to be in the 25-26 range. Anyway, you don't have to make your goal scale oriented, but you are still going to need to use a scaled as your TDEE is going to change as your weight does and your calorie count will need to change in order to keep your deficit in tact.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    My goal is not a size or number. Just a place where I feel comfortable.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Isn't 32 on the larger side for a female? I know most guys want to be around 32-34. I thought women wanted to be in the 25-26 range. Anyway, you don't have to make your goal scale oriented, but you are still going to need to use a scaled as your TDEE is going to change as your weight does and your calorie count will need to change in order to keep your deficit in tact.

:huh:
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I wear pants (jeans and dress pants) from The Limited and Express for the most part...my goal was to be a size 4 in The Limited and a size 4 or 6 in Express (they seem to fit weird if you have any sort of thigh muscles). I weigh the same as I did when I was a tight size 6/8 respectively. Victory.

Or I would suggest measurments...I wish I took measurments earlier on.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options

Double :huh:
  • mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options

and.....^^^ This :huh:
  • MzHornedOne
    Options

Lmao ladies!

It depends on the size of the girl...and I'm NOT looking to be a skeleton. I'm looking to be healthy. :laugh:
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options

Yeah. Me, too. :huh:
  • MzHornedOne
    Options
    My goal is not a size or number. Just a place where I feel comfortable.

Ultimately this is my goal too. But I believe in tangible, measurable goals to work towards. Just leads to more follow through with me if I have something to say YES THAT'S IT!
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I would think that your pre-pregnancy jean size would be an acceptable goal. It's honestly much more effective of a goal than the scale. I want to get down at least one more pants size because I liked how I looked then. It's just so much easier to see the scale than gauging how your clothes fit.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Sorry, OP, I forgot to answer your question. In my opinion, 32 is a perfectly reasonable goal. I am currently between 36 and 37 on waist and 32 would be great!
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I set my goals based on body fat, not weight. You need a goal that makes sense for you.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options

32 isn't really that big. That's about a size 12. Depending on the girl's height and build, that could be a good goal.
    A 25 inch waist is very small, like a 2. My waist wasn't that small even when I was a bony college student (115 pounds at 5'7"). When I am at a good weight now, it's around 28.

But the number you should pay attention to is the hip measurement. Hip measurement is the size limiter for women, not waist.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I don't have a goal weight, nor a pants size or waist measurement. Simply, I just will know when I'm at my goal when I have the body I want. I don't care if that's 20 lbs heavier, lighter, bigger pants, smaller pants, and so on....I'm working towards a certain look, and I'll know when I'm there! :-)

I started my journey @202 (I refused to get on scale after that) , I'm now 135 lbs. I'm 5"8 tall and my waist is @26 inches right now