The Binge

Options
2»

Replies

• krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    For me, it's binge drinking. I'll go out and party and have 6-7 drinks and feel like crap the next day. I don't do it often enough for it to affect my weight loss. In fact, I haven't drank alcohol in a month or so and I haven't gained or lost an ounce.

But, I do feel like poo the day after I drink too much, so I try to only binge on special occasions ;)

I've never really food binged, except on holidays when everyone is eating too much.
  • Pensworth
    Pensworth Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I avoid the term binge for its clinical definition. What I do, I tend to call gorging. I gorge on potatoes, candy, or whathaveyou. It's usually emotionally charged, or rather a lack of emotion when I'm feeling depressed. What normally happens is I am aware I feel depressed and that puts a hollow feeling inside me. I make the conscious decision to fill that void with anything I can shove down my gullet, even though I know that won't address the real issue. Sometimes I eat until it hurts. Never to the point where I had to throw up. But more often than not, after I've reached maximum capacity I go lie down and enter something of a food coma... That might not be be called bingeing, but it isn't very good.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll be snacking casually, and then realize I have eaten a whole (FAMILY SIZE) bag of chips or something, and maybe more than half of a container of ice cream or something. That is what I consider binging.

I can eat a ridiculous amount of food without feeling a thing. It's frustrating.
  • jszxzcole
    Options
    For me binging is the type of behavior that led me to sign up for mfp today... crappy day at work + cranky kids after school = me trying to lighten the mood by buying a pack of Oreos. Then I ration them out like a food-Nazi to my kids and sit here feeling sorry for myself and finish off the package. When I binge, I'm most often not hungry but I like the taste of whatever it is I'm eating and feed myself negative "can't" messages while continuing to shove in the food of choice. My thought process goes like this... "gee these cookies are good....I'm going to hate myself for this tomorrow.... (grab another cookie)...but I can't stop. I should start on a diet. (inhale another cookie) But I can't ever stick to my diets....(grab 3more cookies and head to the couch with my iPad)... i should get help" . is it normal to think this negatively? I seriously wonder if I'm crazy sometimes but imagine its just another excuse to be lazy about weight loss. Ok now i'll go find a depression board lol.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    When I was in the grips of Binge Eating Disorder, I had no control over myself. I would feel sick, and not even really want another candy bar, even as I was opening it and putting it in my mouth. It was directly tied to emotion for me, not to anything physical. A lot of things in my life were out of control and eating was something that made me feel marginally better for a short period of time and felt like something I could control. I couldn't. I would just continue to eat and to eat and to eat. I would eat to the point I physically couldn't eat any longer without being physically ill because I couldn't stop.

That is different from what a lot of people colloquially refer to as binging. Obviously, it was a medical/psychological disorder. I still over-eat on occasion, especially in times of high stress or high emotion, but I no longer binge as I used to do.

These days, I would refer to a binge (for myself) as over-eating or eating in excess of what is reasonable. This weekend, I had a very, very, very, very, very bad night and the next day was rough. I would consider the four chocolate marshmallow eggs I ate to be excessive and some might refer to that as a binge, though I probably wouldn't. In the end, I didn't feel guilt, because I choose deliberately to eat them (and they fit within my calorie allowance for the day, if not my macros).

For me, at this point in time, it's important for me to be active in my eating choices. I actively choose to eat something. I don't passively eat any longer - no mindless grazing, no grabbing handfuls of things while I'm doing something else, no eating because it's there. I make a decision to eat something and either work it into my allowances for the day (whether that is changing my plans for dinner and taking smaller portions or working out for an extra ten minutes or whatever), or I accept that I will have a smaller deficit that day (it often balances out - and sometimes it is WORTH a smaller deficit) or I don't eat it. No more guilt - by taking an active stance, I already cut out a lot of things. Donuts in the breakroom? Meh, that's not special - if I'm going to eat donuts, I'd rather stop by the donut store near the park and get fresh donuts to enjoy with my daughter on the weekend. The cake my colleague makes once a year for our director's birthday? Worth it - I'll take a smaller piece and skip fruit at dinner. Or something.

It's taken me YEARS to get to this point.

I am glad you have reached a point of more peace, well done.
    Having suffered bulimia periodically, I have had periods where I would buy carrier bags of food, including cookies, doughnuts, cake, ice cream, peanut M&Ms, milk chocolate, danish pastries, bread...all the things that I really enjoyed eating but usually avoided because if I tend to have one thing, I tend to want it all. And I would gorge on it to a point I was swollen and in so much discomfort I could not tolerate the idea of keeping it all in me. I think the worst one totaled about 10,000 calories. That went on for 8 weeks and caused me to gain over 14 Ibs, though I was underweight to begin with anyway, by about 4 Ibs. Never binged to that degree again as it was just such a vicious cycle. I stopped working out altogether, going from an avid cyclist and gym goer, to only going as far as the shop to buy my binge food. I slept all the time. I actually found the only thing I looked forward to, was buying and gorging on this food, such was the severity of my depression. I just stopped caring. For me, overeating/binge eating, are very much an emotionally based issue, unless my bodyfat and/or weight has/have crept too low.

I am still working on being able to have all foods around, without binge eating on them, or overeating them. I tend to like to challenge myself, and felt I was somehow giving up when I simply refused to buy them at all. I am making progress.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    Interesting discussion! I'm a bit of a language nerd and I have a bit of a problem with people co-opting ED language to describe normal eating patterns. (Just to be clear, I'm not saying that you're doing this at all. I'm enjoying reading the responses.)

I'm talking about those threads where girls say "Omg, I binged soooo hard and ate 2 Oreos and now I feel soooo fat!" Or the under-1200 threads where the first reaction is usually "you're so anorexic!" Those words have power and they carry a lot of baggage for a lot of people, and using them out of context drags all of that baggage into the conversation where it doesn't necessarily belong. It's important for people to learn that healthy eating patterns can be flexible enough to accomodate some extra Oreos, and it's difficult for that lesson to sink in when we're using a word to describe it ("binge") that also means "dangerously out of control eating."

I think it also makes it more difficult when people using the colloquial definitions encounter someone with the actual disorder. If we all accept that 2 Oreos = binge, how do we interact with someone who actually has binge-eating disorder? It seems likely that the person with the disorder is going to get some bad advice or some very triggering advice just based on the fact that they're using the clinical definition and other people aren't.

/soapbox :smile:

In terms of your question, I think that if you're associating the word "binge" with guilt, shame and/or feelings of being out of control, I would definitely find another word to use. Personally, I like the word "splurge" because it has some positive connotations. Splurges are healthy and good for your soul, and they're things you're supposed to enjoy. "Treat" would probably work too (although I'm not a fan of it -- in my house, the dog and the cat get treats when they're good. The people just get food.)

Splurge sounds like a good word. I currently try to use the word 'refeed' even if I unintentionally overate, because I usually hit the gym hard the next day to make good use of the excess.
    In terms of semantics, I have actually had severe binges, as part of bulimia/binge eating, consuming in excess of 8,000 calories within 1-2 hours, so I do tend to avoid using the word other than for such instances.
    Oddly, my shame when I splurge on something now, seems greater than during my worst binge eating episodes.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    This!!!!

Essentially, it will always come back to the cliche of what society thinks is right - i.e. that people should only eat so much, because they are expected to look a certain way...which is boring but true I'm afraid!

ps fruit and fibre is brilliant hahaha i love it.

Yep, others would choose to binge on ice cream and doughnuts... I tend to often choose fruit and fibre or branflakes. Cereal tends to be a big trigger for me.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    When I was in the grips of Binge Eating Disorder, I had no control over myself. I would feel sick, and not even really want another candy bar, even as I was opening it and putting it in my mouth. It was directly tied to emotion for me, not to anything physical.
    I would just continue to eat and to eat and to eat. I would eat to the point I physically couldn't eat any longer without being physically ill because I couldn't stop.

In the worst of my Bulimia, this was basicallly me. I would eat, and eat, and eat... and not enjoy one second of it. I have clear memories about crying... no, sobbing... while spooning food into my mouth, finding the exact opposite of pleasure. And I would eat until I either 1. Became physically ill or 2. Made myself vomit. (which was the end goal either way). The purging, after time, became a thing of shame, and reinforced the "overeating is shameful" belief.

That's how I define "binge". If food is entering my mouth that I 1. don't physically need and 2. Am not enjoying whatsoever. It must meet both those criteria before it's labelled "binge" for me.

If I need to eat but don't enjoy it, ie for a run, for a workout, or to meet my minimum calorie goals, I eat.
    If I'm enjoying that peanut butter sammich or full rack of ribs that will put me over my allotment but *loving* every minute of it, it's fine. I'll just have a nice long run later to balance out.

It's taken me years to get to this point, and to try not to shame myself after I over-eat. Positive food choices and keeping MFP open *all* the time help, but if I can work a chocolate bar into my day and still have a large portion of my choices as positive, healthy choices, I am *so done* with shaming myself over it.

Glad you managed to reach that point. I am still working on it. I tend to be an all or nothing sort of person, and when on a streak of eating all nutritious food, find it very difficult to allow some less nutritious food in. I aim to follow the 80/20 rule there. My main issue is the self recrimination and anger if I have an excess of a less than healthy food.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    When I was in the grips of Binge Eating Disorder, I had no control over myself. I would feel sick, and not even really want another candy bar, even as I was opening it and putting it in my mouth. It was directly tied to emotion for me, not to anything physical. A lot of things in my life were out of control and eating was something that made me feel marginally better for a short period of time and felt like something I could control. I couldn't. I would just continue to eat and to eat and to eat. I would eat to the point I physically couldn't eat any longer without being physically ill because I couldn't stop.

That is different from what a lot of people colloquially refer to as binging. Obviously, it was a medical/psychological disorder. I still over-eat on occasion, especially in times of high stress or high emotion, but I no longer binge as I used to do.

These days, I would refer to a binge (for myself) as over-eating or eating in excess of what is reasonable. This weekend, I had a very, very, very, very, very bad night and the next day was rough. I would consider the four chocolate marshmallow eggs I ate to be excessive and some might refer to that as a binge, though I probably wouldn't. In the end, I didn't feel guilt, because I choose deliberately to eat them (and they fit within my calorie allowance for the day, if not my macros).

For me, at this point in time, it's important for me to be active in my eating choices. I actively choose to eat something. I don't passively eat any longer - no mindless grazing, no grabbing handfuls of things while I'm doing something else, no eating because it's there. I make a decision to eat something and either work it into my allowances for the day (whether that is changing my plans for dinner and taking smaller portions or working out for an extra ten minutes or whatever), or I accept that I will have a smaller deficit that day (it often balances out - and sometimes it is WORTH a smaller deficit) or I don't eat it. No more guilt - by taking an active stance, I already cut out a lot of things. Donuts in the breakroom? Meh, that's not special - if I'm going to eat donuts, I'd rather stop by the donut store near the park and get fresh donuts to enjoy with my daughter on the weekend. The cake my colleague makes once a year for our director's birthday? Worth it - I'll take a smaller piece and skip fruit at dinner. Or something.

It's taken me YEARS to get to this point.

^^^This. I've eaten until I was literally sick too. In secret, of course. I once at an entire 9" double layer German chocolate cake in the 10 mins or so it took me to load it into the car and drive home. The only thing left was a few crumbs. I don't even remember eating it but I must have because I was alone in the car. Then, I threw away the evidence, made dinner and ate an entire dinner plus seconds. I don't remember much of that particular meal, either. I'm sure I snacked in front of the TV all night. This was about 15 years ago. At that time (and sometimes now, on this very website) binge eaters were made to feel like it's some sort of moral failing. You know, the "Why don't you just put the fork down?" mentality. Hard to put the fork down when you don't even realize you've picked it up!

So, for me, binge eating is when I consume mass amounts of food without realizing what I'm doing. I call it a "blackout binge" because that's the closest explanation I have for the feeling.
  • 281Danielle
    281Danielle Posts: 113
    Options
    For me binge eating is when I eat for no reason at all and just continue to stuff my face even though I'm not hungry. I use to do it a lot but have pretty much cut it completely out, I still do it every once in a while but not like I use to. I binge when I'm bored mostly. I don't get upset when I do binge i just try to be better the next day. NO ONE is perfect and I have seen almost every single person I have known binge eat at least once. To me there is no reason to get upset about what you've ate, you can't take it back , I just move forward and try to be better each day.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Unplanned, uncontrolled eating in large quantities without actually being hungry. Just eating for the short term pleasure of eating basically.
  • cottagegirl71
    cottagegirl71 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    to me.....a binge is eating a large quantity of random food when you are not hungry and know you don't even want it!